PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tight Ends Alex Smith and Chris Baker

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
I know we're still more than a month away from the start of the regular season but the reports I have seen on Smith and Baker in training camp have been encouraging. Here are a couple of recent columns on the two new Pats tight ends.

Meet the Patriots new No. 80: Smith by Adam Smartschan of the Metro Daily News
Smith played his first four NFL seasons with Tampa Bay, starting 43 games and catching 129 passes for 1,252 yards and 11 touchdowns.

He’s lanky for a tight end — resembling, really, a bulked-up wide receiver.

Training camp has seen him lined up in a traditional tight end slot, off the line almost as a No. 3 wideout ... and even in the offensive backfield.

“I’m just trying to do everything that’s asked of me,” Smith said. “They like to mix us around a lot, so whatever’s called upon [I do]. I think the faster I learn the offense, the more positions I can play.”

There’s no guarantee of playing time, though. The Patriots have five TEs on the roster, including Ben Watson and Chris Baker.

Add Baker to the mix at tight end by Julian Benbow of the Boston Globe
It was shop talk, but as he walked off the practice field after the morning half of yesterday’s two-a-day talking technique with the centerpiece of the Patriots offense, it was probably one of the most important conversations Chris Baker would have all day.

In seven years in New York, it wasn’t the kind of talk Baker needed to have very often. Up until last year, Chad Pennington was the only quarterback Baker had known, and all the habits and nuances quarterbacks and tight ends have to learn about each other were essentially second nature.

With Tom Brady, Baker is still learning.
“I think those five guys all bring different skill sets to the position and the combination of all of them give us a lot of flexibility, both in the running game and in the passing game, whether it be a one tight-end, two tight-end, or even three tight-end set, and it’s nice,’’ Belichick said this weekend on NFL Radio. “It’s nice, offensively, to be able to say, ‘Hey, we want to do this,’ and you have the players to do it versus, ‘Yeah, this is a good idea, but . . . ’’

New TE Chris Baker, Tom Brady connect by Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald
As it was, Patriots coach Bill Belichick spent a lot of the morning session working with the offense in the red zone. While Benjamin Watson missed a second day of practice, the rest of the tight ends on hand - Baker, David Thomas, Alex Smith and Tyson DeVree - got quite a bit of work.

With all the firepower at the position, it’s possible Brady will look to the tight ends more often this season, especially when inside the 20-yard line.

“I hope so,” Baker said. “It’s where I’ve had success in the past, and hopefully I’ll continue that.”

Smith is the best TE receiving threat, Baker the best blocker. Looks like Watson is being edged out.

Baker, Brady trying to cook up some chemistry by Mark Farinella of the Attleboro Sun Chronicle
Even though it was Tom Brady's 32nd birthday Monday, the Patriots' quarterback was in a giving mood.

His "present" to tight end Chris Baker was extra work after the morning practice at the Gillette Stadium complex - a few extra throws to help the free-agent signee and the veteran quarterback get on the same page with their timing.

Baker, a veteran of seven prior NFL seasons (all with the New York Jets) said the work was a necessary thing.

"We're trying to get on the same page," Baker said. "He's worked with a lot of guys over the years, and there are things we need to know. I've got to know what he's thinking and he's got to know what I'm thinking. That's really where we're trying to get to right now."
Baker readily admitted that the complexity of the Patriots' playbook requires the extra work on his part.

"It definitely is a complex offense," he said. "I think that's why the offense has been so good in the past, it presents a lot of different things, a lot of different looks and challenges to a defense. It's on us to pick it up and know what's expected of us, and that's what we're working at every day. It's going pretty good."

Baker is joined by former Buccaneer Alex Smith in what has amounted to a retooling of the tight end position. And from appearances early in training camp, the Patriots are looking to re-introduce their tight ends as vital parts of the passing offense, as opposed to a more recent heavier reliance upon their blocking skills.

Smith is the best TE receiving threat, Baker the best blocker. Looks like Watson is being edged out.

I wouldn't say that quite yet. When healthy, Watson has been a pretty productive tight end for us and he has the edge in experience in this offense. I'm reserving judgment on Baker and Smith until I see what they do with Brady throwing them the ball during the regular season (you know, when they're going up against an actual defense).

I am thinking Watson is still the biggest threat....he has the best single season and had a 1,000 yards in a two year spann and he is the fastest in the group. Granted neither smith or baker have had Brady but lets not completely forget about Watson.

There's no question Watson is the fastest TE. It sure comes in handy when you hustle and catch a corner returning an interception.

When it comes to playing the TE position though, I don't see how Watson is a better receiving option than Smith, or a better blocking option than Baker, or even the best receiver/blocker combo on the team.

He sure is off the charts athletic, though, no question. And also very intelligent.

Last edited:
There's no question Watson is the fastest TE. It sure comes in handy when you hustle and catch a corner returning an interception.

When it comes to playing the TE position though, I don't see how Watson is a better receiving option than Smith, or a better blocking option than Baker, or even the best receiver/blocker combo on the team.

He sure is off the charts athletic, though, no question. And also very intelligent.

What have you seen in the one week of training camp that has made you believe that Smith and Baker are both better options than Watson in this offense?

Let's actually figure this out.

Benjamin Watson Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN
Chris Baker Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN
Alex Smith Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN

Look at their last two years. Ben Watson doesn't have better receiving stats than the other guys, and the other guys didn't have Tom Brady to throw to them. Going back over 4 years...Ben Watson has managed to catch 136 passes in the last four years. Chris Baker has grabbed 111 passes in the last four years. And Alex Smith has produced 129 catches in the last four years. Again, the other two didn't have Brady throwing the ball.

Baker is widely considered the best blocker, and reports say it's a toss between whether Smith or Watson are considered the most versatile. Also, consider this:

"Watson was all but deleted from the passing attack, finishing fifth on the team in targets with another terrible catch rate (47%) and just 22 grabs. Watson will be in a contract year in 2009, but there's no reason to think he'll improve. The Pats consider him a blocker and he's proven an unreliable receiver."
Ben Watson : USATODAY.com - Ben Watson Biography from USATODAY.com

"Reiss sees Chris Baker locked into a role when New England uses two tight ends, presumably for his blocking skills. Watson and Smith should battle for the other spot, which includes valuable snaps in one tight end sets. Bill Belichick is reportedly "quite excited" about Smith, so Watson could potentially slip to third-string or even off the roster."
Ben Watson

Watson doesn't really have naturally soft hands. when he's thrown the ball, I always worry he's going to drop it. i think the other two guys edge him out in that regard. so he might be a faster receiving threat, but what good is it when catching the football is a challenge unto itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back