Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tiger Woods is Cablinasian. What about Obama?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Jan 31, 2009.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +108 / 15 / -9

Tiger Woods does not refer to himself or his baby as black
    Woods has famously refered to his mixed-race identity as 'Cablinasian,' a word he derived from Caucasian, black, American-Indian and Asian.

Obama was born and raised in Hawaii, the only majority-Asian state in the union; he spent four formative years in Jakarta, the home of his Indonesian stepfather Lolo Soetoro, where he attended local schools and learned passable Bahasa Indonesia. The family with whom he's closest — half-sister Maya Soetoro-Ng and her Chinese Canadian husband, Konrad Ng — are Asian American. So, too, are the most senior members of his congressional team — his Senate chief of staff Pete Rouse, whose mother is Japanese American, and his legislative director Chris Lu, whose parents hail from China.

Evidence for Obama's affinity with the Asian American experience runs true even as one delves deeper into his history. "A lot of aspects of the senator's story will be recognizable to many Asian Americans," says Lu, a Harvard Law School classmate of the senator's who joined the team in 2005. "He talks about feeling like somewhat of an outsider; about coming to terms with his self-identity; about figuring out how to reconcile the values from his unique heritage with those of larger U.S. society. These are tensions and conflicts that play out in the lives of all children of immigrants."

Is Obama a little Cablinasian?
    Is Obama just biracial?

Or do we just call him BLACK?

I am sure, he will just call himself black.
    That is how he got elected !

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

Just think all this rhetoric, to make an idiotic statement.. who really cares... and if you really believe this run a black republican next time.

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

Maybe you're one those new age, starry eyed types who really don't notice the color of people's skin, so it might surprise you to know that the people we call black almost always have darker skin than, say, the people we call white. Obama grew up with white family and Asian neighbors; they probably considered him black. So, that's how Obama sees himself. But, equally important, is that is probably how society has always seen him. Of course, in your starry-eyed colorblindedness, you neglected to point out how irrelevant any issue about the color of his skin is to people who respect all races in our mutlicultural society.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +819 / 2 / -9

Are there any Black People in China or Viet Nam or Italy---:confused:

Will, never mind.

5. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +108 / 15 / -9

I have no problem with Obama calling himself, Black, White, Biracial, or Cablinasian. I just hope he does a good job as president.

Although I did not vote for him, I will support him as our president.
    If he does a good job, I will vote for him in 2012 (I am not tied to a party).

I do find your comment about colorblindness funny since you are a supporter of the most racist program in america "Affirmative action".

I would support Affirmative action, if it was based on economics.
    Nobody should receive an advantage because of the color of their skin.

Obama's two daughters "who don't need help" could gain advantages over a poor white or asian children via affirmative action. The thought of this is quite sad.

Now that we have the BLACK president, we should end affirmative action.

6. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Now that he is president he is biracial?

Almost every black in the USA has some white blood, due to the rape of slaves.

Prior to the 13th amendment would Obama been a slave?

Prior to Brown which school would Obama attended in Topeka KS?

Would Obama been able to sit in the front of the bus?

At the lunch counter?

Drank from the whites only water fountain?

Lets stop with the nonsense.

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

I'm glad you're giving Obama a fair chance. As far as affirmative action goes, I have mixed feelings about it. The fact is that black youth are at a disadvantage because of historical prejudice that left black families without roots and without equal opportunity. If company A is in a 50% black area but only has 20% black employees, there must be an explanation. In some cases, it may be institutionalized prejudices (where strong favor is given to people who are like the ones who already work in the company), in which situation some form of affirmative action is appropriate. That said, affirmative action doesn't need to be in the form of quotas -- it could be in the form of job training and education for both the black people and the people who do the hiring. Quotas should be only a last resort, but they are far cheaper for the taxpayer than serious programs designed to address the underlying issues.

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

I don't really care what we call him or what he calls himself. However he's not "black", he could call himself "white" and be just as accurate.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

If Obama were to enter your fantasy world, where business owners are free to discriminate against people based on race, you don't think Obama would be discriminated against by those who were anti-black? You think he'd be welcome in a whites only club?

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

By some, not by most. OTOH, one of Obama's nominees that I know of has hispanic heritage and intentionally uses the hispanic version of his name to help him get places he otherwise might not. It's a low level nominee so most people haven't heard of him. It works both ways. Probably more to Obama's advantage.

11. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

You think most racists would treat Obama same as a white man? Okay.

And you think Obama gets more easily into places because he is black, even though you don't think he's black? Okay.

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Do you actually think that's what I said ?

:confused:

13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +819 / 2 / -9

Obama Looks Black But I Think He's White

14. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +86 / 7 / -1

#75 Jersey

wow, you are the forums new Harry Boy...what a stupid post

15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +819 / 2 / -9

There's only one Harry Boy Boxy

16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,371 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I don't thing we need to call him anything except for Mr. President.

But ... if it's necessary to tag him how about Obamawaiin?

this thread is a low point for the forum.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

I should have said some racists, not most. But the point is that you think some racists regard Obama as white; you think he could just as easily call himself white; and think that he has some advantage; and think being black gives him greater access than if he was white. Put another way, you think, like some racists do (so you say), that Obama could be considered white, but he has advantages because he's black. What color do you see when you look at him? I see a black man, and the evidence is overwhelming that that's a disadvantage.

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +819 / 2 / -9

Thats right but how do you stop the Left Wing Media from constantly bleating about Obama's skin color, If I were Obama I would hold a press conference and tell the NY Times, Mush Mouth Matthews and the rest of those loons at NBC (MSNBC) to stop all their "First Black President" crap and start treating him like the President instead of some Godlike Savior from the Mountaintop.

Obama told them never to talk about his "Ping Pong Paddle Ears" and they obeyed him, Keith Olderman would rather kill himself than mention the Messiah Ears.
    It must be getting embarrassing for the Obama family now to keep hearing this "First Black President" stuff over and over, especially the children.

IcyPatriot is right, there is no need to call him anything except "Mr President"

(If I were a reporter though I don't think I could resist those Ears)

:bricks: