PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tiebreak implications if the Jets lose to the Broncos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFPatsFan12

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Assuming the Pats score holds, if the Jets lose to the Broncos, then the Patriots, I believe, will be in third place in the division, tied with the Dolphins, and 1 back of the Jets. Anyone have any rough idea of what needs to happen to get the division? I'd say "win out" is step one, and obviously the Jets need to either lose two, or lose a division game... but anyone have any idea how the Dolphins play into this? Just curious if anyone knows off the top of their head...

Assuming the Pats score holds, if the Jets lose to the Broncos, then the Patriots, I believe, will be in third place in the division, tied with the Dolphins, and 1 back of the Jets. Anyone have any rough idea of what needs to happen to get the division? I'd say "win out" is step one, and obviously the Jets need to either lose two, or lose a division game... but anyone have any idea how the Dolphins play into this? Just curious if anyone knows off the top of their head...

Jets are still in first Patriots second then Jets and Bills. Patriots are still out of the playoff hunt as the #7 seed. The Patriots are going to need the Ravens to collapse to get in. The Colts will roll with easy schedule but the Ravens schedule is brutal coming up. The Jets could lose some games as well but the Patriots might have to win out which is unlikely in my book. Patriots might look at 10-6 and out of the playoffs.

Last edited:
Putting aside how badly they played yesterday for a moment....

Unless I've got my wires crossed, the Denver win over the Jets has a significant division tiebreaking implication, provided the Pats rally next week.

If the Pats can win four straight from here, they would finish 11-5. They would have a 4-2 record in the division.

If, at the same time, the Jets lose at home to either Buffalo (week 15) or Miami (week 17), that would give New York an 11-5 overall mark and a 4-2 division record.

With both teams tied for the division lead, tied in head-to-head play, and tied in divisional play, the next tiebreaker would be common game %.

Aside from the six division games they each play (and are tied in), the Pats and Jets play a total of eight other common games.

Denver, San Diego, Oakland, Kansas City
Arizona, Seattle, San Francisco, St. Louis

To date, the Jets record in these games is 3-3. They beat AZ, KC and STL and lost to DEN, OAK and SD.

To date, the Pats record in these games in 4-1. They beat DEN and KC in the AFCW, and SF and STL in the NFCW, losing only to SD.

If the Pats win out and the Jets lose one division game (need that in order to remove div. record as a tiebreaker) it goes to common game w/l %, and the Pats would win that tiebreaker and the division title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes