PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tie breakers v. Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFaninAZ

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It appears to me that if the Jets win out, they would get the tie breaker against us if we finished at 11-5. Put another way, I can't find any way combination under which the Jets could finish 11-5 and not win the division if we also were 11-5.

So, the bottom line is that if the Jets win out, we need 3 wins. There is no combination where we could go 2-2 over the last 4 and secure the division if the Jets go 4-0. So, while the Miami game is important, it's really not crucial. If we win it and the Jets lose, they're basically done, and all the tie breakers shift toward us. But for right now, our "magic number" is 3, and it doesn't matter which 3 of the remaining 4 we win.

That is, assuming I'm reading the tie breakers correctly.

The Jets still have to go on to the road and play Minnesota and Miami. That's going to be tough for them. Meanwhile they have Buffalo and improving Oakland at home. It's possible that they go 4-0, but unlikely. We could've had this thing wrapped up earlier but we are just a hair from the finish line to the playoffs.

That is, assuming I'm reading the tie breakers correctly.
I read things the same way, we would be tied in the first 3 tiebreakers (head-to-head, division record, common opponents) and the fact one of their losses is against the NFC means their conference record would be better than ours and that would win the 4th tiebreaker.

The good news is that if they lose to Miami, even if they win the rest we could go 1-3 but if that one win is over Miami we still win the division.

If the jets go 11-5, mangini wins coach of the year.
that would be a huge turnaround for a team most expected to be below 500

So, we would have to lose 2 out of 4 and they would have to win 4 out of 4. Possible but not probable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back