PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

tick, tick tick...could the Flacco bomb go off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? You were sexually assaulted in Baltimore? Sheesh. Shoulda called the police!

Joe Flacco. Interesting QB. Big arm, tall, throws it deep. But, although those deep throughs are high reward, they are also high risk. If McCourty plays well back there, those could turn into a couple of picks.

Our key for the Baltimore game is to get pressure on Flacco, and make sure we blanket the deep balls with double coverage - safety + corner. Of course up front we need to contain Ray Rice as well. It's pretty much the same formula that we used against the Texans, except Baltimore has slightly better secondary targets with Boldin and Pitta.

The question is, will Flacco lock onto/fall in love with the deep ball and force it into some tight windows? If he pulls a 'Brett Favre' our defense could feast on turnovers which will turn into points for our offense.

What? You were sexually assaulted in Baltimore? Sheesh. Shoulda called the police!

Joe Flacco. Interesting QB. Big arm, tall, throws it deep. But, although those deep throughs are high reward, they are also high risk. If McCourty plays well back there, those could turn into a couple of picks.

Our key for the Baltimore game is to get pressure on Flacco, and make sure we blanket the deep balls with double coverage - safety + corner. Of course up front we need to contain Ray Rice as well. It's pretty much the same formula that we used against the Texans, except Baltimore has slightly better secondary targets with Boldin and Pitta.

The question is, will Flacco lock onto/fall in love with the deep ball and force it into some tight windows? If he pulls a 'Brett Favre' our defense could feast on turnovers which will turn into points for our offense.

Lol I guess I was sexually assaulted I laughed it off and pushed my way out of the bathrooms, but it was pretty weird didn't want to fight back because I'd probably die in the bathroom.

I agree McCourty's the key he's gonna have at least 1-2 opportunities for interceptions he has to make the most of those. I think Dennard is perfectly suited to play Boldin 1 on 1 so that gives us McCourty and Talib on smith up top.

Not to be an A-hole, but Smith pushed off a lot during that game and particularly on both of his TD catches. No offensive PI was ever called against him and I think the refs were never going to call him for anything given his circumstances on that night.

Last edited:
Baltimore had a performance for the ages on Saturday night. The Denver Broncos were the #1 seed, but they are truly not the real #1 team in the AFC. That belongs to the New England Patriots.

I do think Flacco will have a worse performance this Sunday. The Ravens haven't played against the Patriots with a secondary that now features a cornerback that can lock down (or limit) a team's #1 wideout in Aqib Talib, who can run with Smith/Jones unlike old man Champ Bailey. And because of that, there's more trust in the corners (Talib, Dennard) to play man coverage which allows the Patriots to play aggressive and apply pressure at a higher rate.

And with that increased pressure, Flacco will have less time to throw the ball deep, forcing him to go through his progressions and make other reads. Not to mention, Devin McCourty at the safety position allows him to use his range to make plays on defense and even helping out one of the corners if they get beat deep.

Salient point. There is a reason you normally do not see offenses making many of their points via the long ball, it's high risk. It will frequently result in a incompletion/not improve the down-distance situation and probably is a higher INT risk.

Kudos to Flacco for beating Denver's reliance on a single cover with well thrown deep balls (at least some of them). Kudos to him for beating Indy with a 12-23 performance but racking up very good yards on not a lot of completions. If he can do it again then chances are good for them -- but in my recollection teams don't have game after game after game after game success when their scoring relies on the long ball.

Misinterpretation
Stats dictate a regression to the mean
Hope it's THIS Sunday and not in 3 weeks

Regression to the mean is an explanation after the fact, not a predictive tool.

In other words, if flaccid does have a bad game, you can say regression to the mean - he showed his true colors and the other games were higher than they should have been.

You can't say regression to the mean will happen because that's really just proclaiming he played better than normal usually and he won't play well against the patriots.

regression to the mean is not a reason - its an explanation.

It's true there's no guarantee or scientific calculation saying he will come back down to earth, but the general odds are for it IMO. His career shows that he very inconsistent and rarely strings together consecutive great games, let alone against winning teams.

Also the hype surrounding him right now isn't going to help IMO - Recent news on Joe Flacco - Baltimore Ravens - Rotoworld.com

"The player rep for impending free agent Joe Flacco says his client is "proving" he's a "top-five, elite quarterback."
Jan 15 - 9:50 AM
Source: Baltimore Sun"

Okay, we'll see in the upcoming week(s) if he's top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes