Welcome to PatsFans.com

Thurston Howell Romney

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

David Brooks is a Republican columnist, who is a moderate. In this column he points out just how off-base and divisive Romney's comment about the 47% was, how little he knows about our nation, and how inaccurate and simplistic is a formulation that amounts to, "People who are forced to make it on their own have drive. People who receive benefits have dependency." In fact, he notes, the majority of people who benefit from entitlements (or wealth redistribution) are white middle class people. I of course only posted a little of the article, but he does make points that conservatives will agree with too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/18/opinion/brooks-thurston-howell-romney.html?_r=3

The people who receive the disproportionate share of government spending are not big-government lovers. They are Republicans. They are senior citizens. They are white men with high school degrees. As Bill Galston of the Brookings Institution has noted, the people who have benefited from the entitlements explosion are middle-class workers, more so than the dependent poor.

Sure, there are some government programs that cultivate patterns of dependency in some people. I’d put federal disability payments and unemployment insurance in this category. But, as a description of America today, Romney’s comment is a country-club fantasy. It’s what self-satisfied millionaires say to each other. It reinforces every negative view people have about Romney.

2. Charlotte Pats Fan

Charlotte Pats Fan 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +110 / 1 / -3

No Jersey Selected

David Brooks is a Republican columnist, who is a moderate. LMAO

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Romney's gaffes are serving a great purpose ... perhaps it's a deep rooted psychological thing ... he knows he should not be the President but he enjoys running. maybe ... just maybe he's scared to win.

Just a stupid theory of mine ... but seriously ... we have enough problems without him winning IMO.

4. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOOK Romney's rich tee hee tee hee

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

I think a better theory is that Romney is so used to having people defer to him that he is ill-prepared for blowback.

Exclusive: Brigham Young

Sue Emmett is Mormon royalty. Her great-great-grandfather was Brigham Young, the founder of Salt Lake City, first governor of Utah, and president and prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) from 1847 until his death in 1877.

Emmett has watched Mitt Romney very closely throughout his public life and has strong opinions about what shaped his personality and his character. “Mitt is a product not only of his wealth, but of an organization that gives men power when they are 12 years old,” she says....

Emmett says Romney was a bishop, “a position where everyone defers to you. What a bishop says goes. People come to them to receive blessings.” ...

“Mitt has had people defer to him and not challenge him his entire life,” says Emmett. “In the Mormon church if you challenge your priesthood leaders it’s a very bad thing to do, especially for women. As the world can now see, Mitt has a very hard time with being questioned and criticized; he’s had so little of this in his life."

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

If Democrats had a problem with "rich" Kennedy never would have gotten elected.

It has nothing to do with Romney's wealth - and everything to do with Romney's utter lack of even the simplest understanding of life in general.

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Well if Romney is Thurston Howell then Obama would be Gilligan.

8. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

IMO he certainly is week in the common sense and street intelligence areas. Obama has some of both of those due to his upbringing ... I think a good leader needs street smarts and common sense to gain enough respect to be an effective leader. Nobody likes working for or following a Gomer.

9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

That's a bit funny ... Obama does have some Mary Ann in him at times though. Pelosi and Reid took advantage of his early in his term gullibility. But - he has surprised me in the national defense area. Maybe too much but he has surprised me. he has taken the issue away from the GOP IMO.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think Ryan's way more on the ball than Romney is

11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

I would agree, Ryan could be the professor, IF Alfred E Newman had made it to Gilligan's island we would have a role for Joe Biden.

12. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I would strongly consider a politician (Democrat or Republican) who had a descent fiscal plan, even if that plan hit some social programs hard. Here's the problem with Ryan and Romney: Romney has always flipped flopped, has always changed positions depending on how it played to his advantage, and has been deceitful about it (GM bankruptcy for example). Ryan, talks a good game, and has put forward a very hard core plan. Problem is his voting record does not back him up.

13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think Ryan's plan is a good starting point but by no means is the answer. I think its a mistake to just blow it off entirely because he's a Republican. Regardless off his voting record, when a plan makes some sense, even with flaws, it should be considered, and go from there.

14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

So Politics as Gilligan's Island, It reminded me of the article Tim Leary wrote back in the 70's about Gilligan's Island as an allegory for the 8 Circuit Model of the Human Brain he described in his books found a link on this:

The Eight Circuits of Consciousness

Circuit Character Drug which activates

1 Bio Survival Gilligan opiates

2 Emotional Skipper alcohol

3 Symbolism Professor caffeine, cocaine

4 Social-Sexual Mary Ann teen hormone

5 Neurosomatic Ginger marijuana

6 NeuroElectric Mrs Howell psilocybin, mescaline closest

7 NeuroGenetic Mr Howell LSD

8 NeuroAtomic Aliens from the future Ketamine, DMT

This nutty eight circuit thing by Scott O. Moore

:D:singing::singing:

Clearly Gilligan's Island was the most profound tv show of all time from an educational POV.

15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I hope the youngins' of the forum don't get offended.
    But seriously Gilligan's Island and Lost in Space had huge educational value. :p

Hmmmm ... Mitt would be Robot???:p
    "This does not compute" .... :p

[​IMG]

16. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Was that what you guys called Survivor??

17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

Mittbot?????

18. 1960Pats

1960Pats Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +115 / 8 / -26

#75 Jersey

Looking at the frequency of posts from the lefties, as well as the flood of ads the democrats are running here, tells me that they're getting desperate. It's only September.

Considering the criticism here over the use of the name Lieawatha or Liarwatha (I'm not sure which is correct) I'm shocked that there's a thread here that mocks the name of the republican candidate. Well, I guess I'm not really shocked.

I bet the lefties could have even more fun with Barack Hussein Obama's name if they weren't blinded by the giant D in the sky.

19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

Playing the victim again, be careful magical mitt will want his magic decoder ring back..

You obviously are part of the 53%, so you cannot be a victim.. and if you are, it is a very poor facsimile thereof...

20. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I am considered a 'lefty' by numerous members here. I have been staying away due to the slew of undesirable threads posted by extreme right members (undesirable: not worthy of comment). Example: look at today's posts and please explain your remark. Secondly, FOX News today, has Obama leading in the polls. I have not seen a poll or a headline which has Mitt leading. Thus, I do not understand your post.