PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thursday Night Football: Indianapolis Colts at Houston Texans

I must be watching a different game than you, but Luck is already a top QB and is probably the Offensive MVP so far. He is a freak of nature size and skill wise, there's no doubt he will go down as one of the best ever

Not until he wins something.

And while JJ Watt is a great player and played a great game, let's remember he was playing against backup OL men (and even some third stringers). That said, Luck had a lot of balls batted down at the line of scrimmage.

And while JJ Watt is a great player and played a great game, let's remember he was playing against backup OL men (and even some third stringers). That said, Luck had a lot of balls batted down at the line of scrimmage.

Gosder Cherilus isn't the sucky turnstile he was in Detroit any more - and Watt stole his lunch money on the way to one sack. Watt does this week in, week out, whether it's back ups or All-Pro's.

He's the best defensive player since LT.

Gosder Cherilus isn't the sucky turnstile he was in Detroit any more - and Watt stole his lunch money on the way to one sack. Watt does this week in, week out, whether it's back ups or All-Pro's.

You just hurt Reggie White's feelings.

I must be watching a different game than you, but Luck is already a top QB and is probably the Offensive MVP so far. He is a freak of nature size and skill wise, there's no doubt he will go down as one of the best ever

Rivers is the offensive MVP so far. Luck is a great QB, but I don't know if he will go down as one of the best ever. He cost the Colts the Broncos game (maybe a bit of an overstatement, but two INTs were costly).

But he already has 7 INTs in 6 games which has him on pace for 18-19 INTs for the season. Even without the INT last night, he would be tied for most in the league (he is currently #1 all alone). Brady never has ever had an 18-19 INT season. Manning had several in his early career, but that was back when the defenses were allowed to play defense.

It is a what have you done for me lately league, but Luck made costly mistakes that helped the Colts lose their first two games. His mistakes since haven't cost them and his good stuff has far outweighed it. He still makes bonehead passes a lot just not nearly as much as brilliant passes.

Last edited:

Front-seven maybe. Deion, Ed Reed, Revis...

Front-seven maybe. Deion, Ed Reed, Revis...

A fair and extremely sensible opinion friend, but not one I would agree with. Think of what he's doing and the position he's doing it from.

He's a 3-4 Defensive End - in the last two full years, he has 31 sacks, including 20.5 in 2012. As a 3-4 Defensive End. But it's not just the sacks, it's the pressure, the hits, the knockdowns, the run defense, the pass deflections. You can't run on him, you can't block him.

He's just phenomenal.

That 2011 Draft was pretty special with the likes of AJ Green, Julio Jones, Robert Quinn, Aldon Smith, Patrick Peterson, Mo Wilkerson, Von Miller, Marcell Dareus.......but how does he not go #2 overall behind Newton?

There's even a case for him being taken #1 overall.

You just hurt Reggie White's feelings.

He he.

My opinion on White is quite clouded by him being at his best when I was really much more interested in girls, however those with a much keener eye for the game than myself say he was one of the greats. There were many sack masters back in the day however, Kevin Greene being one who gets no love despite putting up monster numbers every year.

I've never seen anyone play the position as well as Watt does, not even Big Sey (although the defenses are different) and I've certainly not seen a player have as much effect on a game and dominate despite being game-planned for, as much as he does.

I need to chill out, I'm sounding too much like a fanboy.

Safe to say though, if you're in any doubt of how good he is, which him against our much vaunted line back in 2012 (back when we could, you know, block). He gave everyone fits all game long.

A fair and extremely sensible opinion friend, but not one I would agree with. Think of what he's doing and the position he's doing it from.

He's a 3-4 Defensive End - in the last two full years, he has 31 sacks, including 20.5 in 2012. As a 3-4 Defensive End. But it's not just the sacks, it's the pressure, the hits, the knockdowns, the run defense, the pass deflections. You can't run on him, you can't block him.

He's just phenomenal.

That 2011 Draft was pretty special with the likes of AJ Green, Julio Jones, Robert Quinn, Aldon Smith, Patrick Peterson, Mo Wilkerson, Von Miller, Marcell Dareus.......but how does he not go #2 overall behind Newton?

There's even a case for him being taken #1 overall.

I think Watt is certainly a phenomenal player, so to put him in that stratosphere wasn't meant as a slight at all.

As for the 2011 draft, Tyron Smith has been a really good player, plus Pouncey and Kerrigan. In fact, Fairley is only non-QB in the top half of the 1st round that season not to have already made a Pro Bowl (the lesson is don't reach for a QB, especially since Kaepernick and Dalton were available in the 2nd round). Meanwhile, the second half of the 1st round has produced only one Pro Bowler, Cameron Jordan.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back