PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thru week 6 Amendola has only proven his critics correct…

Status
Not open for further replies.
You people saying it's only 6 games in are missing the point entirely, to such an incredible degree that it appears you're being stupid on purpose. This is not a rookie and this is not the first 6 games of an NFL career. This is a player that came onto our team with the label of injury prone already, and is now going to be missing time with his 2nd injury this year. Even if you take this one dirty hit situation off the record, the first injury and his prior record of missing games made the point true already. Failing to accept reality does not make you a better fan. Staying at a stadium for a full game instead of leaving at the 2:00 mark? Better fan. Preaching that water is dry, the Pope is Jewish, and the world is flat? Just dumb.

It is entirely possible to appreciate Amendola as a person and a player but still understand the extremely obvious fact that building an offense with the expectation of him playing a full season is folly. I'm glad he's on the team. I like him. I do not like him at his current salary, nor do I think we had any business fielding him as a primary veteran receiver. He's WR3/4 because he can't stay on the field. The point that BB should've known that himself is not only valid but undeniable at this point. That said, we would probably have an easier time moving on from the mistake if there wasn't an odd contingent of people being willfully oblivious. You think BB doesn't know he goofed? C'mon man.

Please define this condition you term "can't stay on the field." Is it the same malady plaguing Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly and Vereen?

I would just cut him loose personally, resign Edelman for $2-$3 mil and invest the rest into some other position other outside of the slot. .

That takes the cake.

By your logic we should also cut Talib, Gronk, and Dan C. Oh yes we should also cut Vereen.

Based on this.....they're not paying Talib then?

I didn't say not to "pay" Amendola. I said to pay him in-line with what his contribution is likely to be and have appropriate depth for when he inevitably misses games.

With regard to Talib, we should certainly offer him a contract in-line with his production as well. I think we already have depth (Arrington/Dennard) at his native position so that it's not catastrophe when he misses games. So we're already halfway there.

If you're asking if I think Talib's value to the team is greater than Amendola's, then the answer is certainly. This team has needed a CB of that skill for years and his presence has already perceptibly caused our other young CBs to get better. I honestly believe seeing someone do it right has been a piece that's been missing as we try to bring people in from the draft. He should certainly be tendered at a higher amount than Amendola because his production is better and his value to the team is greater.

All of the above said, what point were you trying to make? It doesn't seem like there is one.

When did you see him let up on the throw from Brady? He was running the route and Brady saw him all the way and was not rushed. Unless the guy grows instantly to 6'10", the throw was over his head and bad. It was not a timing route, and Brady was looking right at him. Everyone commenting, including Aikman, a QB, said the same.

I agree the injuries are disappointing, but I agree with ausbacker that a concussion, which any player can get in the game, is not a good time to raise this point. Is 2.7 receptions per game worth his price tag? No. But there is a good number of games left, and it is funny how playoff success makes people forget the regular season. If he puts up 70 or 80 receptions in the season, and performs in playoff games, then few would call him a bad decision. It is still too early to get into the "bad decision" discussion.

If you watch the play you’ll see he slowed up and then turned it back on.

As I said man for me the concussion is a non-factor and changes nothing, he missed the 4 quarter yesterday because of that, my issue is with the injuries prior and his lackluster performance when on the field in weeks 5 and 6.

As I said man for me the concussion is a non-factor and changes nothing, he missed the 4th quarter yesterday because of that, my issue is with the injuries prior and his lackluster performance when on the field in weeks 5 and 6, injured or not injured he has dropped at least 3 balls in the last 2 weeks that a $5 mil receiver should be catching.

Obviously he could not avoid that hit but Amendola is a snake bitten player who simply cannot stay healthy.

Exactly. Based on his logic he should be promoting a "Cut Gronk" thread as well. I mean the guy is just hurt all the time.

Don't you dare insinuate I'm advocating cutting Amendola.

A couple of you goons are bringing in your 3rd grade reading skills and trying to invalidate an obvious point by lying about what I said. I said I was glad Amendola was on the team AND I never said anything about cutting him.

This is what set me off in a thread a couple weeks ago too. You can't defend your position because it's utterly indefensible, so you have to make up lies about what a poster is saying to try to invalidate their opinion. Or you try to throw out an orange (Wilfork) into an apple conversation as if Wilfork's situation is in any way comparable to Amendola's. It is not. This is obvious. If you're too stupid to see that, enjoy your blissful ignorance. But don't you think for one second you're not getting called out for making stuff up about what posters are saying to spread your idiocy.

Shame on you both for tying me to that line of thinking or comment.

This thread is silly. Injuries are often largely a matter of luck. Amendola was hit 1 or 2 yards short of the first down marker - he was trying to pick up a first down at a critical point in the game. He sacrificed his body for the team. We should be thanking him for that effort, not throwing him under the bus. Welker was often criticized for turtling after making a catch. Maybe it kept him on the field longer but at the same time maybe it left yards on the field.

I don't hear anyone here saying we should cut Aqib Talib and sign Kyle Arrington long term for 4-5M/year. He has been injured a lot as well.

Last point - if after 2 or 3 seasons Amendola has continued to be injured and off the field as he has so far in 2013 then the critics will be shown to be right, but it is WAY to early to draw that conclusion.

AB the head injury resulted in 17 minutes of missed action, why are we focusing on that when he missed or out there injured for another 343 minutes of game action.

The Patriots are 5-1, have a GREAT comeback victory over an undefeated team that's probably one of the top-3 in football right now, despite the Pats not having either of their starting tackles or their all-world tight end, and you're berating other people about what THEY'RE FOCUSING ON??????

Holy cow.

Remember last year's AFCCG when Pollard clocked Ridley. How'd that turn out?

What, did you want DA to go all Brandon Lloyd and fall down on the reverse instead of trying to get the first down on a potential game-winning drive? Are those the players you want?

That takes the cake.

By your logic we should also cut Talib, Gronk, and Dan C. Oh yes we should also cut Vereen.

Huh? I am beyond confused with this response bro, seriously do Talib, Gronk or even Connolly have a backup that has outplayed them who could be had for less money? Has Amendola ever contributed anything on the field as a Patriots in the way that Talib, Gronk and even Connolly have in the past? The answer to both is NO! So you can have your cake back pal.

I am not going to fight with you, we disagree on this lets just move on and not get into a pissing match where we both are going around looking to quote what the other posts in an attempt to win a forum chess match. I am good with you Nuts you have your opinion on this I have mine, I have no hard feeling and still hold you in high regard and respect.

If it is a timing route, that matters. If he reroutes and Brady is looking right at him with time to make the throw and read Amendola's speed, then it doesn't matter if Amendola stopped for a cup of coffee before he began his route. Brady needs to make throws like that. If you are quick, not fast, that slowing can be tactical as it would cause the defenders to slow as well and create separation in the burst of speed.

I don't recall responding directly to you, but I was responding to this:

Originally Posted by Brady6
I would just cut him loose personally, resign Edelman for $2-$3 mil and invest the rest into some other position other outside of the slot. .

Please define this condition you term "can't stay on the field." Is it the same malady plaguing Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly and Vereen?

It's why McGinest took the advice of pundits and fans and retired in 1998.

A couple of you goons are bringing in your 3rd grade reading skills and trying to invalidate an obvious point by lying about what I said. I said I was glad Amendola was on the team AND I never said anything about cutting him.

This is what set me off in a thread a couple weeks ago too. You can't defend your position because it's utterly indefensible, so you have to make up lies about what a poster is saying to try to invalidate their opinion. Or you try to throw out an orange (Wilfork) into an apple conversation as if Wilfork's situation is in any way comparable to Amendola's. It is not. This is obvious. If you're too stupid to see that, enjoy your blissful ignorance. But don't you think for one second you're not getting called out for making stuff up about what posters are saying to spread your idiocy.

Good Lord.

The only position I'm trying to defend is that we should give Amendola more time than 6 friggin' games. Why that causes you to start throwing insults around is beyond me.

Huh? I am beyond confused with this response bro, seriously do Talib, Gronk or even Connolly have a backup that has outplayed them who could be had for less money? Has Amendola ever contributed anything on the field as a Patriots in the way that Talib, Gronk and even Connolly have in the past? The answer to both is NO! So you can have your cake back pal.

I am not going to fight with you, we disagree on this lets just move on and not get into a pissing match where we both are going around looking to quote what the other posts in an attempt to win a forum chess match. I am good with you Nuts you have your opinion on this I have mine, I have no hard feeling and still hold you in high regard and respect.

Missed the Bills game this year, did you?

The Patriots are 5-1, have a GREAT comeback victory over an undefeated team that's probably one of the top-3 in football right now, despite the Pats not having either of their starting tackles or their all-world tight end, and you're berating other people about what THEY'RE FOCUSING ON??????

What is your opinion on Jake Bequette, or Tavon Wilson?

Just because they’re 5-1 doesn’t mean nobody on the roster is failing to meet expectations,

The seeds of failure are grown during the good times, and that’s because people always want to say things like we’re successful so obviously that is not that bad, truth is those things eventually growing into you undoing.

I agree with you Rob. He is a great receiver, when healthy. Unfortunately, the pattern throughout his career has been one where he is in and out of the line up.

I really didnt mind the signing for WR depth. Unfortunately, that is not what he was brought in to do. He was brought in to replace the most consistent WR in the league. That decision was folly.

I don't recall responding directly to you, but I was responding to this:

The quote you posted was a direct response to my post. My post was quoted. It certainly reads as if to say that I am advocating a cut.

If this was a mistake on your part, then the misunderstanding is unfortunate. I won't apologize, however, because my response was not in error. But if you weren't intending to say that I advocated a cut, then please disregard my attitude toward your post. I do see someone else said to cut him, which makes bad financial sense for the team, especially given no opportunity to replace him effectively at this juncture.

Missed the Bills game this year, did you?

No I saw it man, he played well, but its 1 game Nuts, 1 game is not something that puts him in the class of Talib and Gronkowski, Talib has arguably been the DPOY over the first 6 weeks of the season and Gronkowski had the best season by a tight end in NFL history.

I guess it comes down to this, do you think Amendola is going to contribute that much more to this team to justify paying him $5 mil if we could resign Edelman for $2-$3 in the offseason? Personally I do not, that’s just my stance, and it very well could be wrong but it right now I am going to stick with it until proven otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes