PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Throwing away our opportunities for another Lombardi??

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikey said:
Are Belichick and Pioli so focused on the salary cap and the future of the team that they are missing the fact the best chance for us to win another Lombardi is NOW??

As Brady is approaching the prime of his career, I find it incredulous that Pioli and Belichick are "semi-dismantling" the team.

Instead of surrounding Brady with better players, they are doing the exact OPPOSITE, filling up the rosters of rookies and free agents.

As an example, I thought last season was a wasted opportunity. Instead of paying more to keep Ty Law, Pioli and Belichick decided on getting Starks. I thought that cheap and short-sighted decisions to sign Starks cost us a 4th Lombardi. If we had Ty Law instead of Starks, we would have gotten at least 3 more wins and the home-field advantage in the playoff.

And I am afraid Belichick and Pioli are pulling the same stunt this year with Deion Branch.

I hope Pioli and Belichick will realize that the FUTURE IS NOW!!!

Don't make this season another WASTED OPPORTUNITY.

It seems that's how many people feel right now.
Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick know what they're doing here. It all involves balance (building the team, spending efficiently, player depth etc) There is so much on the plate and limited time to do it. I strongly feel that our organization is the best in the league at it. It hurts when players get cut and friends leave- we have lost some big players for us buit now is the time for the new dudes to step up-don't forget how alot of our starters started out. Last year really hurt and still does until we beat down Denver- but this year we will be better.

Sometimes we need to make certain sacrifices and players no longer want to be here. that's how it is.

Change...
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken."

I am afraid to say I have the same concerns. The team is $13-15MM under the salary cap and has clear depth issues at ILB and WR. They were going into the season knowing that they were paper thin at ILB and depending on Beisel to significantly improve his play. With a protracted injury to Bruschi, the spector of Dom Davis and Barry Gardner logging significant regular season minutes at ILB scares the you-know-what-out-of-me. What is particularly disturbing is that there was plenty of relatively low cost LB depth available in free agency (I have long ago given up on them actually drafting one relatively high!) -- Brad Kassell, Ben Leber, etc would look awfully good in Patriots uniform right now. I just wish I could understand why the team won't spend $ on mid level free agents (like the ones I have just mentioned) and then be $13-15MM under the cap. I know Mr. Kraft will spend whatever it takes so I am just curious what is going on.

How does letting E. James leave in free agency help the Colts win NOW? Manning is also in his prime and the team has been very close for several years. They let a huge offensive weapon leave.

That should put it in perspective. A team that has been right there for several seasons did not mortgage their future by re-signing every single key player to huge money.

Crazy Patriot Guy said:
How does letting E. James leave in free agency help the Colts win NOW? Manning is also in his prime and the team has been very close for several years. They let a huge offensive weapon leave.

That should put it in perspective. A team that has been right there for several seasons did not mortgage their future by re-signing every single key player to huge money.
I don't know ...

I don't feel the sense of urgency of winning NOW.

I thought Brady might have felt the same way and was conveying the message in the SI interview.

I personally thought we are not taking full advantage of having one of the best QBs ever.

sieglo said:
ROTFLMAO at this thread.
what's so funny about it? you think letting McGinest, Vinatieri, Givens, and Law go, helped the team?

I personally thought we are not taking full advantage of having one of the best QBs ever.
agreed.

Last edited:
Foolish to start saying the team has been ruined before a game hasnt even been played, tell us it Mikey, if we have a losing record. Otherwise how do you know they dont return back to the Superbowl? They are SB Contenders. You are giving Givens way too much credit. I'd rather have Caldwell and Jackson than him, plus how do you know Branch doesnt play? AV is a kicker mikey...a kicker, kickers just dont get 2-3 million dollars per year, thats insane. Pats did their best to sign AV but he joined the Colts greedily for a dime more. Damn, you'd think the world was going to end. Remember what you said if we win another SB this year or at least get into the playoffs.

primetime said:
Not even a guy with stick 'em all over his hands would've held onto that fumble. The ball hit the guy's helmet and came loose. There's no way to stop that, it's simple physics. Don't blame pure chance on the coaching staff.
Whaaaa? how the returner positions himself has nothing do with where the ball "hits" him? Man, you're kool-aid must be wicked, wicked good.

One good linebacker and I'm good to go. Branch is signed for 2006.

Brady just turned 29. Step away from the button please.

RayClay said:
One good linebacker and I'm good to go. Branch is signed for 2006.

Brady just turned 29. Step away from the button please.
What if the LB situation is resolved within the team like Roach or Alexander end up playing really well would that satisfy you or do you just want a player to be acquired through FA or trade?

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Whaaaa? how the returner positions himself has nothing do with where the ball "hits" him? Man, you're kool-aid must be wicked, wicked good.

Hobbs fumbled because Sauerbrun's helmet hit the ball while he was tackling him. He was holding it the correct way. It was a one in a million thing, and it happened. If I remember correctly, Troy Brown muffed a punt later in the game (on which he replaced Tim Dwight for sure hands) which put the nail in the coffin. So much for your "Mr. Reliable", huh?

Instead of surrounding Brady with better players, they are doing the exact OPPOSITE, filling up the rosters of rookies and free agents.

I guess I am the only one who for the life of me can't figure out how to fill out a roster without using rookies and free agents. Is there some type of lab experiment I am not aware of? Grow your own type of thing?

SaCaCh said:
I guess I am the only one who for the life of me can't figure out how to fill out a roster without using rookies and free agents. Is there some type of lab experiment I am not aware of? Grow your own type of thing?

Whoa, stop with logic/common sense.

Hey wait a minute. If we'd signed ALL of our UFA's then we could've had the same team as last year and not had to draft any players or sign any free agents thus avoiding the abyss this season seems to be hurtling towards.

Clonamery said:
Whoa, stop with logic/common sense.

Hey wait a minute. If we'd signed ALL of our UFA's then we could've had the same team as last year and not had to draft any players or sign any free agents thus avoiding the abyss this season seems to be hurtling towards.

Last time I checked, UFAs ARE free agents. Hell, it's in their name.

pats1 said:
Last time I checked, UFAs ARE free agents. Hell, it's in their name.

Let me quote my Father, "It's not what I said, it's what I meant."

SaCaCh said:
You can give away your first and second round picks and trade for a disgruntled aging star from another team, preferably someone with questionable character who's been arrested at least once. I believe Mikey wants the Patriots to take that route and totally screw the pooch.

Mikey
, did I get that right?

Emphasis
added to make crummy logic look like conventional wisdom.

Clonamery said:
Let me quote my Father, "It's not what I said, it's what I meant."

Of course it is.

I'm just having fun going along with this show. :D

PatsFan37 said:
You can give away your first and second round picks and trade for a disgruntled aging star from another team, preferably someone with questionable character who's been arrested at least once. I believe Mikey wants the Patriots to take that route and totally screw the pooch.

Mikey
, did I get that right?

Emphasis
added to make crummy logic look like conventional wisdom.

:rofl: :rofl: very good!!!

NEM said:
I AGREE...... Tomorrow can wait, we need to concentrate on TODAY...THE TIME IS NOW...
Mikey and NEM... hmmmm...

I'm feeling better and better about this team now. :D

NEM said:
I AGREE...... Tomorrow can wait, we need to concentrate on TODAY...THE TIME IS NOW...

You wrote that agreeing (attaching it) with Mikey's originating comments?

I suggest you read this fella's post from a couple of days ago:

7/31/06 by the Honorable Mike Allen:

Ok, call me a homer, biased, bigoted and stupid, too...but, I honestly believe that , even with a few minor problems, this will be the best, and the deepest, Patriot team ever to be put on a playing field....

Yeah, backup QB isa question mark in some people's minds, but I believe that Matt Cassell, if called upon, can do an outstanding job playing behind the starting offensive line, with the starting RB's and receivers.

He has not had the opportunity todo so, but we can tell that he is young, strong, and exciting, and given an opprtunity, if it happens, to play with the rest of the starting unit, I believe we have the makings of another Tom Brady.

The running back situation has NEVER been better.

The starting three, at RB, Dillon Maroney and Faulk are all great competitors, and it appears that Dillon is back at full speed and he is hungry, and with Maroney and Faulk ready to fill in.....this canbe a very explosive trio... and then, of course, there is Patrick Pass, who I believe will stick around....

No problems with the RB's if they stay healthy..and, very, very deep.

Tight ends? Maybe no super stars but who has a better tandem, especially with Graham and Watson as the keys. Blocker and Receiver, and also a threat to go deep as a TE, both of them.

And the offensive line. Itg was a great coup last season with the two rookies, and getting the opportunity to play as much as they were forced to play can only be a major positive... If Light makes it back, this is one of the premiere offensive lines in the NFL.

Onthe other side of the ball... we have FOUR 1st round draft picks on the offensive line, and ALL still young, and learning and getting smarter and better.

Willie had a great season last year at OLB but he is getting older and that may have been his last hurrah... look for Colvin to be the Colvin of old and I believe Brown, Beisel and Bruschi ( we cant call them the killer b's cause thats an old one) along with Vrabel, and a few others are solid, and deeper than what most people believe.

The secondary, is awesome. Maybe a couple of smaller guys, like Samuel and Hobbs, but they play hard, very hard, and if Rodney recovers, the safety position as as solid, and deeper, than any in the NFL. Sanders, Hawkins, Wilson, Tebucky....and add Gay, and others in the nickel.....and Iknow i missed someone,but am typing fast.

All in all, Iam extremely excited about the upcoming season. If this offense is not handcuffed by play calling, and if they are allowed to open it up, play their game, with the depth, the speed, and the all around potential they have, this can be a scoring machine like we have never seen before out of a Patriot team.

Score early, and often, and then let the defense take over.

I have never been this psyched about a Patriot team....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back