PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Throwing away our opportunities for another Lombardi??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Are Belichick and Pioli so focused on the salary cap and the future of the team that they are missing the fact the best chance for us to win another Lombardi is NOW??

As Brady is approaching the prime of his career, I find it incredulous that Pioli and Belichick are "semi-dismantling" the team.

Instead of surrounding Brady with better players, they are doing the exact OPPOSITE, filling up the rosters of rookies and free agents.

As an example, I thought last season was a wasted opportunity. Instead of paying more to keep Ty Law, Pioli and Belichick decided on getting Starks. I thought that cheap and short-sighted decisions to sign Starks cost us a 4th Lombardi. If we had Ty Law instead of Starks, we would have gotten at least 3 more wins and the home-field advantage in the playoff.

And I am afraid Belichick and Pioli are pulling the same stunt this year with Deion Branch.

I hope Pioli and Belichick will realize that the FUTURE IS NOW!!!

Don't make this season another WASTED OPPORTUNITY.

Last edited:
:trolls:

Rodney's back and so is Mikey. :cool:

mikey said:
Instead of surrounding Brady with better players, they are doing the exact OPPOSITE, filling up the rosters of rookies and free agents.

That line gave it away. :D

Good impersonation of Felger though.

Last edited:
If there is anyone invloved with this organization who doesn't realize the future is now and it's named Brady they ought to be sent to work for the Jets for the next twenty years while they wait for a once in a lifetime QB to land again.

By not securing home field last year the Pats made things tough on themselves, but it was the loss of Rodney Harrison and the major injury to Corey Dillon that cost this team wins last season much more than not signing Law. Despite all this, it took a horrific display of unforced turnovers, combined with a key missed field goal, to end the season of a team that would have played the Steeler's at home for the right to beat Seattle in the SB. Given Big Boob's gruesome performance for the winning team, it's hardly a stretch to suggest the Pat's could have secured the Lombardi trophy if they had beaten Pittsburgh at home. But both the main cogs screwed up - Brady with his awful INT for a TD and BB for not putting Dwight or Brown out to return the kickoff Hobbs fumbled at a pivotal moment in the game.

So I don't believe the team doesn't sense the urgency to win while Brady's here but I do think they struggle to mesh their conservative long-term mentality with the fact that the prime of Brady's career is already half over.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
That line gave it away. :D

Good impersonation of Felger though.
:wha: I must have missed something (easy since I rarely spend much time on Felger articles anymore), is Mikey doing satire? :eek:

mikey said:
Are Belichick and Pioli so focused on the salary cap and the future of the team that they are missing the fact the best chance for us to win another Lombardi is NOW??

As Brady is approaching the prime of his career, I find it incredulous that Pioli and Belichick are "semi-dismantling" the team.

As an example, I thought last season was a wasted opportunity. Instead of paying more to keep Ty Law, Pioli and Belichick decided on getting Starks. I thought that cheap and short-sighted decisions to sign Starks cost us a 4th Lombardi. If we had Ty Law instead of Starks, we would have gotten at least 3 more wins and the home-field advantage in the playoff.

And I am afraid Belichick and Pioli are pulling the same stunt this year with Deion Branch.

I hope Pioli and Belichick will realize that the FUTURE IS NOW!!!

Don't make this season another WASTED OPPORTUNITY.

WTF?

Are you serious?:confused:

Not paying Ty Law last year? You're a few years behind. That was two years ago, not last year. And Ty was burnt toast on many occasions on his hobbled foot.

I mean, the Patriots were damn lucky they didn't give in to Law's ridiculous 24-30 million dollar demands. That would have crippled our salary cap.

Thank god these kids aren't running the team.

Box_O_Rocks said:
:wha: I must have missed something (easy since I rarely spend much time on Felger articles anymore), is Mikey doing satire? :eek:

Remember the much-acclaimed Felger article this week on the Pats' depth where he basically proclaimed the Pats need veteran linebackers but then turned around and said they weren't young enough?

How are the Pats supposed to get "better" by not filling up their rosters with draft picks and free agents?

(How else are they going to fill their roster? What other types of players are there?)

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Remember the much-acclaimed Felger article this week on the Pats' depth where he basically proclaimed the Pats need veteran linebackers but then turned around and said they weren't young enough?

How are the Pats supposed to get "better" by not filling up their rosters with draft picks and free agents?

(How else are they going to fill their roster? What other types of players are there?)
Wow! Mikey is back on his meds, who knew? Sorry Mikey, I'll have to get you next time. :bricks:

upstater1 said:
Not paying Ty Law last year? You're a few years behind. That was two years ago, not last year. And Ty was burnt toast on many occasions on his hobbled foot.

I mean, the Patriots were damn lucky they didn't give in to Law's ridiculous 24-30 million dollar demands. That would have crippled our salary cap.

Thank god these kids aren't running the team.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?player=1358

I believe Ty Law basically signed a 1-year contract with the Jets for $5.5 M. With bonus, it went up to $6 M.

As for being "burnt toast", I believe you were referring to Duane Starks.

Last edited:
ROTFLMAO at this thread.

mikey said:

Truth be told, I can't think of too many better players that would have been available. Namely their cost/longterm value.

As far as filling up the roster with a bunch of rookies and free agents, I don't have too much of an issue with that.

A bunch of end of the road FA's and unproven rookies won us a Super Bowl in 2001.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Wow! Mikey is back on his meds, who knew? Sorry Mikey, I'll have to get you next time. :bricks:

Do you think we are better off with Caldwell and Jackson instead of Branch and Givens?

Do you think Brady has better WR's than Manning??

mikey said:
Do you think we are better off with Caldwell and Jackson instead of Branch and Givens?

NO.....but he has better running backs, tight ends and O line.

If anything, it looks as though injuries are already dictating our season. The loss of Branch hurts a lot, but you need to get over it. He will be in a Pats uniform come week 1. Branch is not that stupid. There are more important things to worry about in the world today than if Belicheck and Pioli are sabataging the season. Come on, you really think Belicheck wants his team to loose?

mikey said:
Who says they will be the starting WRs come opening day?

mikey said:
When has he ever? And what is your point?

mikey said:
In 2001:

Instead of surrounding Bledsoe with better players, they are doing the exact OPPOSITE, filling up the rosters of rookies and free agents.

I disagree that we must win now or not at all, that we must sacrifice our future for the present. I don't think BB is writing off this season quite yet.

Anyway, you're talking about filling the backup roster with rookies and FAs. We're returning almost all our starters you know.

mikey said:
Too early to tell, but what makes you think Branch won't be playing in the regualr season?

Do you think we were better off with Branch, Givens, and Dwight than Branch, Caldwell and Jackson?

Mikey, as BB would say, they haven't even played a game yet. Givens was a 7th round pick so I'm sure you said the same things about how they would be better off with Patten instead of a guy like Givens and as for Manning's vs Brady's WR I'd say on paper the Colts have always had a better corp. What has it won them? I know this offseason seems to support your "Kraft is cheap" motto but let's see how it plays out on the field, no? You think by now you would have learned that lesson.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
But both the main cogs screwed up - Brady with his awful INT for a TD and BB for not putting Dwight or Brown out to return the kickoff Hobbs fumbled at a pivotal moment in the game.

Not even a guy with stick 'em all over his hands would've held onto that fumble. The ball hit the guy's helmet and came loose. There's no way to stop that, it's simple physics. Don't blame pure chance on the coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes