Welcome to PatsFans.com

Throwin' stadium tantrum City demanded free suite, food from Yankees, e-mails reveal

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

It's unfortunate, but this crap happens everywhere. Why is the gubmit looking for free food & luxury suites. Nothing is free really. To get a "free" suite, it means the people's representation gave something of value in return. So while citizens pay taxes, state officials get to go to the game for free. How about no "free" suite, and the Yankees simply pay it's value in taxes like the average citizen does. I wonder what "freebies" gubmit officials in Boston got, when they gave the Redsox control of all the streets surrounding Fenway? I know what the sausage venders got (insert funny joke here) in that deal.

Throwin' stadium tantrum City demanded free suite, food from Yankees, e-mails reveal

BY JUAN GONZALEZ AND GREG B. SMITH
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Saturday, November 29th 2008, 7:31 PM

Sabo/News

[​IMG]
    The new Yankee Stadium is not completed yet, but is already causing new controversy.

Related News
    Articles

Mayor Bloomberg's top aides engaged in a behind-the-scenes brawl to win a free luxury suite at the new Yankee Stadium that could wind up costing taxpayers, e-mails show.

Some of the mayor's top deputies spent months threatening and cajoling to get the free skybox. They even demanded free food and ultimately got most of what they wanted after they agreed to provide America's richest team 250 free stadium parking spaces in exchange.

The loss of revenue from those spaces could wind up coming back to haunt taxpayers if the garage owner - who pays rent to the city - can't pay what he owes.

Here's an excerpt from a NYT's article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/nyregion/30stadium.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion

Great to see that the taxpayers interests are always front and center.
  2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Re: Throwin' stadium tantrum City demanded free suite, food from Yankees, e-mails rev

Just out of curiosity, how did you become a Yankees fan?
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

Re: Throwin' stadium tantrum City demanded free suite, food from Yankees, e-mails rev

I bleed grease, and back in the day when grease bleeders first stepped off the boat, most became bigtime Joe Dimaggio fans. The Yankees had a history of very successful paesans throughout their history. As a result, lots of Italians rooted for them. When I was 7 or 8 years old, and had no clue what baseball was, one of my north end born cousins constantly put into my head that Italians root for the Yankees. When I finally started to become interested in the sport, that influence, my contrarian personality, and Don Mattingly (who's not Italian mind you) helped push me over to the Dark Side. Rizzuto, Bera, Dimaggio, Raghetti, etc. The Yankees looked for greasah's like the Celtics looked for Irish whi...nevermind. :D
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Wow....what a sad story.......:(
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

Hey, you lookin to swim whit da'fishes? :mad:
  6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm amazed that (according to the Times link) other municipalities have done this. My initial reaction was that this was a PR black hole that would kill the career of any civil servant/politician involved in such a deal.
  7. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,269 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

Have you looked into a lower fat diet?
  8. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Ahhh Faggedaboutit bafangool
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  9. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Haha the hacky, overdone Italian accent. Always good to make fun of.
  10. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +271 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

This is exactly the kind of thing that got Kraft to stay in Foxboro (where he only has to grease a few slectmen). The best part about this, is that Bloomberg is about as much a Yankees fan, as he is a Republican. He was born and raised a Sox fan, and is now faking both his Yankee fandom, and being a Republican at the same time.

Bloomberg recently got the city council (and by "got" what I mean is "bribed") to change the temr limits law that was installed to stop ed Koch and ended up stopping a Guiliani third term. So he can run again.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

haha! [​IMG]
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

YouTube - How To Talk Italian :D
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

Now this is some serious fo'ghettaboutit.

YouTube - Now Thats Italian