PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

throwback uniforms

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorate one.
Steve-Grogan---Prepare-to-pass-Phot.jpg

Last edited:
I'll settle this debate for everyone:

* The red uniforms of yesteryear represent a losing tradition and are historically inaccurate applied to the Patriots motif, in that the British -- the enemy -- wore red. A flawed concept to begin with. And the Battle of Bunker Hill was fought on Breed's Hill. Lot's of historical facts are wrong. What's your point?

* The Colonial Army (the "original Patriots") wore blue. The minutemen didn't wear uniforms as they were a bunch of farmers for the most part. And were talking about a football team.

* The silver alternates are very cool and should replace the white road jersey. You can't be serious.

See above in bold

See above in bold

What -- you're trying to tell me the enemy British didn't wear red? If you're going to draw on historical heritage for a team's motif, you might as well be accurate about it. Our team is called the "Patriots," not the "Minutemen," by the way. The Colonial Army regulars, who wore blue, most definitely were patriots. And yes, I'm serious in suggesting the silver unis would make extremely cool road uniforms.

Last edited:
What -- you're trying to tell me the enemy British didn't wear red? Our team is called the "Patriots," not the Minutemen, by the way. The Colonial Army regulars, who wore blue, most definitely were patriots. And yes, I'm serious in suggesting the silver unis would make extremely cool road uniforms.

I'm not saying that the Brits didn't wear red.

The regulars did wear blue but a lot of them didn't have uniforms at all since a lot of them were poor farmers who had to literally eat their shoes to survive the winter.

The silver unis are horrible IMO.

My two cents:

The old uniforms and the old Pat patriot logo were ugly as heck. When the switch was made from red to blue, it was a huge upgrade. There have been changes since then, and what they've settled on now looks pretty good. I wouldn't want to see them were throwback uniforms.

(And I'm not a newbie fan... I've been following the patriots since the mid-80's)

Again... a red shirt in the same style as the current uniform. I do not care about the red = redcoates theory. The red shirts would be a better alternate than the ugly silver shirts.

I don't want to bring up this dreaded subject again.

However, I was watching a video on Giants.com from their equipment manager (the epitome of boredom?), and he said that once a team makes a change to any of their uniforms (besides a pant/shirt combo change, I think), that the team is locked into their ENTIRE uniform set (home, away, alternate) for FIVE YEARS.

The Pats started with the silver jersey in 2003. This is the 5th year. And there is talk next year of a red alternate.

i was not thinking there was a 5 year 'deal'

do you think it will be 'a rule' for every NFL team ?

i was not thinking there was a 5 year 'deal'

do you think it will be 'a rule' for every NFL team ?

Yes...it is. The NFL wants to maintain some consistency.

This thread is a true sign we are playing a pathetic Jets team this weekend. Wake me up when we roll down to Jersey for the Giants.

Last edited:
Yes...it is. The NFL wants to maintain some consistency.

thanks; it means that from next year we should have the blue for home games, the white for the road games and the red throwback as 3rd ones (usually dressed once a year)

as much as I luv the old logo, the new uniforms in either blue or white version, are the best looking jerseys in the NFL.

Agree that the silver ones should never see the light of day again though

I don't want to bring up this dreaded subject again.

However, I was watching a video on Giants.com from their equipment manager (the epitome of boredom?), and he said that once a team makes a change to any of their uniforms (besides a pant/shirt combo change, I think), that the team is locked into their ENTIRE uniform set (home, away, alternate) for FIVE YEARS.

The Pats started with the silver jersey in 2003. This is the 5th year. And there is talk next year of a red alternate.

Seriously?

That would be really cool. Im not even joking. That would be awesome.

so...we will use them in 2008 season or 2009 season ?

so...we will use them in 2008 season or 2009 season ?

Let's hope not. Rumor has it they were used to mop up concrete dust residue from construction at Patriot Place. ;)

(Sorry Italian Pat, I can't help tweaking you on this subject. I saw some replays of the Bears-Patriots Super Bowl the other day and the sight of those red uniforms and white pants moving backwards nearly made me puke.)

Last edited:
ItalianPat, how many threads have you started on this same subject? I understand you like the old unis but they were changed for the better. The old reds and squatting Pat logo conjure bad memories of an inept franchise for most folks, along with being historically inaccurate from the very beginning. (The invading British wore red, not the original Patriots.) I actually like the silver jersey, it looks awesome up close. I'd like to see them use the blue pants with the blue jersey, that looked pretty studly the couple times they tried it back in '02.

look kinda high schoolish to me.

I understand this. But we are talking about a football team, not an army. There is no historical symbolism in the football uniform.
Yeah, but Bob Kraft is the boss, and what he says goes. No logic required beyond that. Maybe also Tommy has said he doesn't like the way he looks in red. :eek:

Personally, the red shirts don't bother me as much as the white helmet with the Pat patriot guy looking like he needs to squat somewhere.

How The Powers That Be chose silver over red as an alternate jersey color is beyond me.

Nice Photoshop work. I think a red jersey with blue pants would be a really cool and distinct look. I'll see if I can work it out in PS.
Looks too Ohio State. Brady would croak if he had to wear those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes