Welcome to PatsFans.com

Throw Your Brother From the Train

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

U.S. Rep. Allen West says he's a "modern day Harriet Tubman" who will help lead black people on an underground railroad away from the Democratic Party "plantation into a sense of sensibility."

The freshman Republican who lives in the city of Plantation made his comments Wednesday night on FOX News Channel’s “The O’Reilly Factor” in a conversation with fill-in host, Laura Ingraham.

Excerpts, provided by FOX, below, on the continuation along with a response from state Rep. Joe Gibbons, D-Hallandale Beach.

On African Americans “growing unhappy with President Obama”:

“Well, I think Laura when you look at what is happening, the laughable hypocrisy is that the big black bus is not going in the black community.

“When Democratic party has taken the black vote for granted and you have established certain black leaders who are nothing more than the overseers of that plantation. And now the people on the plantation are upset because they have been disregarded, disrespected and their concerns are not cared about. So I'm here as the modern day Harriet Tubman who kind a lead people on the underground railroad away from that plantation into a sense of sensibility.”

On him saying Maxine Waters is the “plantation boss”:

“Well, absolutely because what you end up having, you know I'm going to be brutally honest, is that white leaders are turned over to certain leaders ‘perceivably innocent’ in the black community like a Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton or Maxine Waters or Barbara Lee and said you know, pacify and keep the black community firmly behind us regardless of the failures of our social welfare policies. Look at the devastation in the black communities. Look what's happened in the inner cities of Chicago and Detroit. You look at the riots and the things that happening already in Philadelphia.

Allen West sees himself leading blacks away from Democratic 'plantation' - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Pretty stong stuff - coming from a guy who sent his own out-of-work brother to Maminr Water's job fair.

Is there a word for someone who sends someone else back to the plantation with instructions to talk to the planatation boss?

Broward Politics | Sun Sentinel Blogs | Allen West sees himself leading blacks away from Democratic 'plantation'

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

Go back the last conventions... the Republicans had about 2% minority, while the Democrats had about 45% minority present.. guess folks liked that "Plantation"..

Florida has to be pretty dumb to have elected this reactionary politician.. lots of verbage, little substance...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  3. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Sir, I knew Harriet Tubman. You are no Harriet Tubman.
    Seriously, who compares themselves to legends in history? Numerous times a politician will mention an historical name in reference, and get blasted for a comparison.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +818 / 2 / -9

Racist Crap.............

5. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

You think? They elected a Governor who was the CEO of the biggest case of health care fraud in the history of the United States.

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

Allen West is a great congressman hopefully someday he will be a great President. He speaks the truth. Libs can't handle the truth.

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Good for Allen West. The sooner blacks realize that the welfare state and those who propogate it to them, do not have their best interests in mind, the better off the black community will be. West might be bat **** crazy for all I know, but it is refreshing to hear someone of color, in a national position, speak freely from a non status quo POV. I've always maintained that if there's one thing that the debate and dicussion, "we" love all minority and women types completely despise, it's a minority or woman who doesn't think as they do.

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

At the worst, the truth is - if you accept his line of reasoning and his terminology - he sold his brother into slavery when he told him to go see Maxine Waters, the head of the "plantation," if he wanted to find a job.

At the best - he admits that he, and, by extension, the party that he represents, has, as it's only job plan, "Go see the Democrats - they can help you. We can't."[/I]

Yeah, man, that's great "presidential material" if I ever saw it.

9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +818 / 2 / -9

Allen West like Bill Cosby seems to have a mind of his own the problem is it doesn't fit in with the Racist bullsh!t of Maxine, Jessie or lovely Whoopi.

The man would make a great president.

10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

IMO is is racist to think that a person should not support or not criticize a person solely on the basis of being a member of the same race or being a 'brother'. If your 'brother' is a junkie an intervention is a sing of real love.

West sees the addiction and is speaking out.

11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +818 / 2 / -9

ANOTHER BRAVE MAN
    Philadelphia Mayor Nutter
    Disgusted by the mobs of African American youths who have been terrorizing folks in City Center lately, he gave the black community a good old-fashioned whipping.

I could almost hear my grandmother say, "Get me a switch!"

He chastised black fathers for being nothing more than "sperm donors." He called out "doggone" hoodie-wearing teens who'd never get jobs with their underwear or the "crack of your butt" showing. And he came down on neglectful parents who "need to get a hold of your kids before we have to."

It was like he channeled his best Bill Cosby, which he pulls out when he feels he needs to.

Annette John Hall: Mayor Nutter Scolds Teen Mobs

12. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

it's quite clear he is attacking the liberal utopia of welfare. the give as much welfare to minorities as they possibly can. who would bite the hand that fed them? that's why they vote so heavily democrat. this is what west is getting at.

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

You're both totally avoiding the question - and we're not "singing about real love," here, either.

How do you support a man who "clearly attacks the liberal utopia of welfare," (by which I presume you mean "The Democrats") and then sends his very own brother to them when he needs a job?

Please, Atomdomb, explain to me how that's ok with you. Tell me you do not see any hypocrisy there.

13, explain to me how, if Allen West's brother has the junkie addiction of being unemployed it is ok for Mr. West to cure him by sending him to the drug pushers of job fairs and unemployment benefits - otherwise known as "The Democrats."

While we're at it - Harry, if you're reading this, where's your outrage that Mr. West is not financially supporting his brother - much like you periodically expect Obama to provide financially for his "Aunt Zucchini?"

Or is all of your outrage purely situational?

14. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

I'd remove color from the equation and say it's refreshing to hear non-status quo POV from anybody, at least when there's something to back the pov up.

Again, you can remove minorities from the equation and open it up to both parties. Look at so many on the right despising Buffett for "leaving the plantation."

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Agreed, but not as it pertains to this specific discussion.

As for Buffet, what plantation are you talking about? The one where he hires the best CPA's to save him the most money, and then writes about how he should pay more? Also, for the sake of the OP, I don't want to hijack her thread with Buffet talk.

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

I'm confused here. So a job fair and unemployment benefits mean what exactly with respect to West's broader point?

17. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

Allen West can say what he wants but what are his ideas when it comes to getting blacks "off the plantation?"

18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

Thank you....that's my point.

Apparently his Harriet Tubman train doesn't have a destination.....he sent his own brother back to the plantation with instructions to talk to the head plantation boss.

I'm pretty sure the real Harriet had a better plan.

19. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I love it that Allen West bothers liberal so much........ It brings joy to my heart. :singing:

20. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

He doesn't bother me at all. As I said in an earlier post he is free to say whatever he wants. I just want him to tell me his plan.