PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Through the quarter point, this is not a good team. How do they get better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats are getting criticized for not playing Dobson and KT last night, and Zolak comes in conveniently with this comment?

KT has been targeted by Brady more than anyone not named Edelman, all of a sudden, Amendola has been getting it done more in practice? Even though that hasn't even come close to translating on the field?

Sure Zolak, we believe your sources.

What's convenient about saying that your hoped for help isn't even playing well enough to bench guys who are struggling as much as LaFell and Amendola?

Like I said, you're not listening carefully enough.

Kontra, you've summed it up well.

I have nothing to add. Those things need to happen. Rookies need to step up, the coaching staff needs to stop screwing around and pick the damn personnel it wants and run schemes suited for them.

Reiss on the run defense last night:

The Patriots' issues on run defense Monday night against the Chiefs mostly came with their fits, which was similar to what we saw in the season opener when the Dolphins totaled 191 rushing yards against them. By taking a slight step to one side as a reaction to either play-action or misdirection -- or simply running up the field and leaving the inside gap unaccounted for as defensive end Chandler Jones did at times -- Patriots defenders were too easily displaced Monday night. That opened wide chunks of space for Chiefs running backs to exploit.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4769189/the-film-dont-lie-patriots-3

Nothing with this team makes sense. I think all the comments here are pretty much right on, not even sure how you fix this. I think if we see them in the playoffs we will be very lucky because I could see them losing the next four games as well as finding ways to win.

I dont understand Dobson and Thompkins being out, DA is terrible and either one of those guys cant be worse. I think it is sad we cant get Tim Wright into the lineup.

I have always though Josh would be good at his job, not anymore, his game plan was terrible, I would rather see them run the ball forty times for 50 yards and lose than what I saw last night. Bring Charlie back please.

I dont care about Mankins because he could not make much difference in this debacle.

Brady looks awful, there are lots of QB's in the league without big names to support them that look better. it isnt all his fault but he does not throw the ball well right now, he cant see the field either.

I thought DA would work out, that was wrong big time, too bad they were not serious about getting Sanders.

They should seriously consider bringing in incognito, I remember when people thought they were nuts to bring in corey dillon also.

I dont let these game affect me personally but I think the Pats are in the worst trouble I have seen in the last 15-20 years. Doesn't seem a lot better than 1991 to me.

The sad thing is this is how Brady goes out, losing, probbaly for the next couple years...thats sad. I sure hope Im proven wrong but if the baby is ugly call it ugly.

Improvements are very possible with this team. Matt Chatham's piece was relevant yesterday and is moreso today: http://www.footballbyfootball.com/column/mnf-expect-the-patriots-to-change

My suggestions:

1) Simplify the offense and execute well what you do best. The running game was effective against KC when they let the maulers up front create some space for Vereen and Ridley. Take the four or five yards when it's there on first or second down, and stay committed to it. In the passing game, determine what each receiver does best to get separation and put them in those situations. This team has the most diverse group of receivers I can recall with big guys, little guys, two pass catching tight ends and an elite pass catching back. I would scrap anything exotic or cute and call plays that the receivers have successfully executed in the past. It will help Brady know who will be where, and remove confusion like we saw last night.

2) Take what the defense gives you. Everybody knew the Chiefs were weak against the run. McDaniels opened up as a contrarian and committed to the passing game. If a team sucks at something, attack that and make them prove they can stop you. These guys are the best in the world at scouting opponents. Find the weakness, and exploit it, even if they know what's coming.

3) Settle on five offensive linemen and stick with that. If Solder needs help on the edge, as he clearly did last night, provide it on passing downs with Hoomanawanoui and Gronkowski. Stork looked good in his first start, so keep him at Center and settle on who is on his left and right and show some confidence in them to become an effective unit. Enough with the revolving door that contributes uncertainty to a unit that needs to walk out there as five guys looking to kick ass and take names.

4) Initiate contact on defense. Throw the rule book out the window and use the speed and talent to punish the opponent. The corners played off the line a lot last night giving the Chiefs numerous opportunities underneath to get first downs or set up blocks for receivers and ball carriers. Initiate contact and be the aggressor. The defense got manhandled. Andy Reid's three-tight-end sets dominated the linebackers. Really? Those guys were no big deal coming into the game, but they sure looked tougher than the Patriots when they got rolling. I wonder if it looks different with Dennard and Browner on the line jamming people.

Need to define the problem....then commit to solving the problem....
Like these guys...

I mostly agree with the OP. But, I think there needs to be some front office and coaching changes:

1. Fire Josh McDaniels (OC) - He has no imagination, doesn't understand the capabilities of his players, cannot predict the opposing defense, has made little change in 5 years. He might be OK as a QB coach... which is needed.

2. Matt Patricia (DC) - Probably not ready to be fired, but he needs to up his game plan to correspond with the NFL defenses of 2014. This includes more man-to-man coverage with imaginative blitzes. He has the corners and safety's that should allow this. Not sure if he is being left to his desires or if BB is influencing him. Someone should throw his playbook away today, and tell him to come up with a new one.

3. Bill Belichick (HC) - Take way his GM role ASAP and hire a real GM. Now is not to early to do that. Bill is still a great coach, but let him coach a properly skilled team put together by a talented GM... there is still plenty of salary cap left.

4. TBD (GM) - Hire a good one... NOW

5. Dave DeGuglielmo (OLC) - Ugh... this poor guy, was dealt a mess of a hand, but I think he will figure it out. Just let him run with it, though it may take another week or two... no easy fix here. The new GM should help him with a trade or some other deal.

6. Patrick Graham (DLC) - Fire him. The DL is just not prepared or have great technique (IMHO). It is his job to make sure they tackle, get to the quarterback through training and technique. Too many times I see players out of place, off balance or just standing there waiting for ... something.

7. Ivan Fears (RBC) - I don't see any real problems in this area from a coaching perspective.

8. Chad O'Shea (WRC) - In general the WRs seem to have pretty good technique and route running. He seems to be doing a good job.

9. Scott O'Brien (STC) - Give him a raise.

The Giants won Super Bowls with worse teams (especially worse at the beginning of the season)

That's the optimism

Those teams were significantly better than this Pats team.

It was easy to absorb the Saints loss...my expectations going in to the game were low and they played right to those expectations.

Last nights debacle was tough to swallow and still is.

The Saint's game was better than last night. In that game, I felt the Pats had a chance to keep up (scoring wise). Last night, once the Chiefs started running the ball at will, you could feel that this was going to get ugly.

3. Bill Belichick (HC) - Take way his GM role ASAP and hire a real GM. Now is not to early to do that. Bill is still a great coach, but let him coach a properly skilled team put together by a talented GM... there is still plenty of salary cap left.

4. TBD (GM) - Hire a good one... NOW
Good luck with that. If you're firing Belichick the GM, then Belichick the HC sure as hell isn't sticking around.

Good luck with that. If you're firing Belichick the GM, then Belichick the HC sure as hell isn't sticking around.

I don't think Belichick the GM has to be fired. But he has to do a better job than he has lately, because the chickens are certainly coming home to roost.

I don't think Belichick the GM has to be fired. But he has to do a better job than he has lately, because the chickens are certainly coming home to roost.

Everything is fine. It's just you, and the rest of the haters like Tedy Bruschi, Scott Zolak and Mike Reiss who are trying to make it seem otherwise. /Patsfans.com Insane Homer Posse

Edit: Add Barnwell to the hater list.

Last edited:
Everything is fine. It's just you, and the rest of the haters like Tedy Bruschi, Scott Zolak and Mike Reiss who are trying to make it seem otherwise. /Patsfans.com Insane Homer Posse

The homers actually haven't been that bad today (I'm guessing I have less of them on ignore than you do). I think they're having a hard time justifying whatever the hell that was last night.

The homers actually haven't been that bad today (I'm guessing I have less of them on ignore than you do). I think they're having a hard time justifying whatever the hell that was last night.

Give them a couple of days. They'll soon be telling us all about how BB got almost everything right and it's just our inability to grasp the big picture that has us concerned. It's what they've been doing since 2009, and being wrong every single year hasn't changed their approach. I think it's fair to say that Amendola hasn't outplayed Welker, for example, but they'll still defend that nonsense.

Last edited:
Give your best pass catchers some experience.

Yes Gronk and Amendola caught some passes in the Coolidge era, but now they are rolling out in wheel chairs while our future guys are being wasted, activate someone who has some health

My observation is simple ..... the Pats are woefully inept in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Until this gets fixed it really doesn't matter who the WR's or TE's are or if Patricia chooses to run press or off coverage with his DB's or if Wilson or Chung or Ryan are starting alongside McCourty ..... this team is doomed.

This is how i see it as well. You cannot execute on either side of the ball if you consistently lose at the LOS, and that's what is happening to them right now. Belichick has to figure out how he is going to get this team to win those battles and if he can't then we will be seeing 2009 or worse.

I have always believed you have to win the fistfight to win the game, and the fistfight is the LOS.

Give them a couple of days. They'll soon be telling us all about how BB got almost everything right and it's just our inability to grasp the big picture that has us concerned. It's what they've been doing since 2009, and being wrong every single year hasn't changed their approach.

By wrong you mean 3 AFCC games and a Super Bowl appearance. LMAO, your head is so far up your ass removal is impossible. Name another team who has won as much in that time frame?

Give them a couple of days. They'll soon be telling us all about how BB got almost everything right and it's just our inability to grasp the big picture that has us concerned. It's what they've been doing since 2009, and being wrong every single year hasn't changed their approach.

You take the whole homer thing waaay too personally.

• Agree
Reactions: SVN
You take the whole homer thing waaay too personally.

Deus has an unquenchable need to stroke his own ego, and he does so by pretending he is the voice of reason and logic, when in fact he is just being a contrarian. Imo he is just one of those people who like to argue for the sake of arguing in the belief that it somehow demonstrates how smart he is, when in truth it is more just a sign of how insecure he really is.

By wrong you mean 3 AFCC games and a Super Bowl appearance. LMAO, your head is so far up your ass removal is impossible. Name another team who has won as much in that time frame?

Since I joined I got insulted for saying that Brady would throw his first pick ending that streak in the DIV against NYJ and you guys deleted my spot on post making excuses

The SB was as joke NYG and Eli sucked and now it is making sense how the Pats suddenly got embarrassed.

Pats homers I love our team always but this is about money, Kraft is a sell out and needs to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down