PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Through the quarter point, this is not a good team. How do they get better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they need to pick up the pace on offense, since 2012 this offense has slowed way down. We no longer get teams in unideal personnel packages; we are not wearing down the DL by keeping them moving quickly. The strength of are OL was the stamina in prior years, players like Solder are lean and in great shape so when we wear down the other teams DL they can win their battles.

I am not sure we have the offensive personnel to play sustained, continous no-huddle drives. Mostly because we don't have the same flexible players we had back in 2011/2012. Back then we were able to force mismatches e.g. we would come out without a RB, making the opponent switch to some form of nickel and Hernandez would lineup as back and run the ball. Our two TEs were perfect for that. And when necessary Welker was able to bail us out regularly in 3rd and short situations.

Now it seems the only way we can find mismatches is using Vereen against a LB. Especially, because Gronk will most probably take until the late parts of the season (or even until next season) to be fully himself. Furthermore, it looks like McD is not capable of coming up with a creative way to use Amendola and Edelman together.

The only wildcard in the entire thing that might still be able to jumpstart our offense is Wright. In those limited touches he got so far he was able to attack successfully. Who knows if he will emerge before it is too late though.

I think we can figure things out defensively but the offense needs pass catchers bad. when edelman gets shut down we have nothing. if edelman had left in the off-season we d be 1-3 and maybe 0-4 if peterson wasnt a POS dad. there's no excuse for sitting a healthy KT and Dobson for the ghost of what once was Danny Amendola. Id rather have Deion Branch out there.

Even when those Giants teams were losing games early on, they were winning the LOS on both sides of the ball. This Pats team has yet to do that in 2014.

I agree with this 100%, and i think that if there is a starting point for fixing this team and season that is where it has to start. Whether or not that is possible is another question altogether. For starters i would stick to the OL they started last night and allow them to develop the chemistry needed to develop into a good OL. I also think they need to let Brady call his own games be cause they are so out of sync right now that i don't believe they will get back on track with MacDaniel's calling them from the sidelines. And if Dobson is going to sit then I would be fine with sending him to IR and allowing Tyms to take his spot.

On the defensive side of the ball I think they need to stop worrying about containment and become as aggressive as possible. Go to man coverage in the secondary and turn the front 7 loose to get after the QB and offense instead of more read and react. They need to make teams deal with them instead of allowing play to be dictated to them the way it was last night. As bad as the team played last night I thought that Belichick and his coordinators were completely outcoached and that has to be addressed immediately. Reid was clearly ready for everything the Patriots planned on doing and he had the sets and plays to take advantage of them in every way.

Now it seems the only way we can find mismatches is using Vereen against a LB.

And, unfortunately, Vereen appears to be a poor successor to Faulk and Woodhead. Faster than both of them in the open field, but lacks the hands, blocking ability, and nose for the open field both as a receiver and on draw plays that made those two so valuable.

Interesting tidbit from Zolak:

The reason that Dobson and Thompkins aren't playing in games is because they aren't getting it done in practice.

The reason that Dobson and Thompkins aren't playing in games is because they aren't getting it done in practice.

right, but the players they're going with are not getting it done on the field in real games. Whats the worst that can happen by activating them?

Look, they are doing so many things wrong and in such an inexplicable way that I've got to buy @Joker conspirancy theory. Dobson and KT out yesterday? There is no explanation for that.

That kid Wright caught everything thrown at him so far, why he is not on the game plan, he's here for a month, that's training camp time, he knows the playbook.

Especially since they had no plan to actually run the ball.

No they weren't. The 07 team was terrible early on. I remember Giants fans friends being excited at the possibility of picking first overall after the first few games. In fact, the main complaint - incredibly ironic, given the way the season turned out - was a total lack of defensive playmakers.

Regardless, the moral of the story is that the Patriots don't look great right now, but it's just 4 weeks into the season. Still 12 games left to go, and they could be worse off than 2-2.

Yes they were. It started in earnest in Week 3 against the Redskins but it was always evident they could control the LOS with 4 down linemen and generate a pass rush. The next week against the Eagles, they set a single game sack record. The comparison is simply not an apt one.

If that is true it is more concerning than a lot of what happened yesterday.

I'm not even convinced this team is practicing.

Zolak is a mouthpiece for the Pats lol. I take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

Luckily they are in a weak division where 10-6 will win it which is where i think pats finish. But no 1st round bye this year that's for sure. I expect them to come out on fire sunday night as they usually do after a loss. If they don't then we know something major is wrong. They are awesome after a loss so if this changes....big problems

2009 saints beats that IMO

It was easy to absorb the Saints loss...my expectations going in to the game were low and they played right to those expectations.

Last nights debacle was tough to swallow and still is.

People here have overrated the rookie seasons of both Dobson and Thompkins. I wanted one of them out there last night because of matchups, but neither one has proven anything of significance to this point.

and yet our $5 mill man amendola hasn't done jack **** in an actual f'n game, but somehow is still a starter and active...

We're talking about practice, practice man. Every time i see Dobson or KT in a real game they show much more potential than amendola could ever dream of.

Zolak is a mouthpiece for the Pats lol. I take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

To say that he's just a Pats mouthpiece is incorrect. You should start listening more carefully to him, because that clearly has not been the case.

Iam not in favor of the spread out and hurry up approach. As bruschi said today

Q. It's time to start questioning Josh McDaniels and the play calling ... big time. Your thoughts? -- Ken (Long Island, New York)

A. The most discouraging thing for me last night when you think about the play-calling is this: They're starting to call the game like they know they can't block anyone up front. They start the game in spread formation, shotgun, and get the ball out as soon as possible. Try to run a draw here, or a draw there, but there is no way they want the ball in Brady's hands for more than two seconds.

Not only is the offensive line struggling, but McDaniels is calling a game acknowledging that the line can't protect the quarterback.

They need to run the ball and keep running. Give this OL a chance to push forward instead of on their heels with pass protection.
Run the ball. Stick with the run and try and play clock and defense. At least for a little while.

I feel like a christian throwing stones at Jesus now but man

BB, Brady, Mickey D, Krafty on sale shopping owner man

When NE played in a dump at Foxboro middle of nowhere we built these dudes, now they are stars and just threw away all that Boston love in front of the entire world. It hurts I don't want to say it but they need to get the **** out of my city with that rigged BS

and bruschi again said the same about dobson and kt hich zolak said

Q. Tedy, I'm totally confused. Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins inactive? It wasn't long ago that Brady was talking about how good "KT" was doing. What's your take on this? It's not like the passing game has been on fire this year. -- Scott (North Carolina)

A. I'm getting a lot of questions about Dobson and Thompkins. We're through four games and I'm going to bottom-line it for you: The reason they aren't active is because they aren't good enough yet. To wish for an answer, and to think it's going to come from those players who haven't given the coaches enough evidence to put them on the field, I'd say "move on."

To say that he's just a Pats mouthpiece is incorrect. You should start listening more carefully to him, because that clearly has not been the case.

The Pats are getting criticized for not playing Dobson and KT last night, and Zolak comes in conveniently with this comment?

KT has been targeted by Brady more than anyone not named Edelman, all of a sudden, Amendola has been getting it done more in practice? Even though that hasn't even come close to translating on the field?

Sure Zolak, we believe your sources.

and bruschi again said the same about dobson and kt hich zolak said

I don't give a **** about practice. Amendola f'n sucks in a real damn game and he still gets to start. Thompkins has better stats and he's played in 2 damn games. Amendola can F off. He's a **** player and a waste of money and time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back