PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Through The Looking Glass ~ Game #13 ~ CB Kyle Arrington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Championship Quest: The Trenches, Defense, & Using The Whole Pig!!

I will be focused on these Aspects that, in my opinion, weigh more vitally than all other considerations in any team's Pursuit of Super Bowl Glory.

Defense ~ CB Kyle Arrington!!

703853147.jpg

One of my favorite Stories, this year, has been the sudden and stunning Resurgence of CB Kyle Arrington since he took over at Slot Corner, over the last few weeks, since his demotion from starting CornerBack.

Since taking over at Slot 4 weeks ago, according to a terrific article by Doug Kyed of the Boston Herald, he's been Targeted 19 times and has allowed a measly 5 Receptions!! That is flat out phenomenal.

His best work, to date, was last week in that tight Game against the Fish, when their nasty Slot End, Davone Bess ~ who'd averaged 6 Catches, 81 Yards, and .5 TouchDowns against us in our last 6 Games against'm ~ went up against us ~ and primarily Arrington ~ and we held'm to 1 Reception for 4 Yards!!

And all the while, Arrington continues to play explosive Run Defense, an inexplicably undervalued Aspect of a CornerBack's job ~ unless your Coach happens to be Bill Belichick ~ one which only matters if you're in the business of winning Super Bowls.

Monday Night was yet another outstanding performance by CB Kyle Arrington, Born Again PlayMaker:

1 ~ 00:18:00. No Score. Early 1st Quarter. Opening Drive & 1st Planet Hoosten Possession. 3rd & 6 at the Texan's 34. The Texans load up with 3 Receivers in a Stack Formation in the Right Slot, which creates a very sketchy, scary Coverage challenge for a Secondary, as they must instantaneously decide who's covering who and just as instantly redistribute assignments if the Receivers set Picks on them!! And God help them if any one of them sees the breakdown differently from the other guys, because that leaves a man wide open, racing downfield!!

Well, the Patriots Secondary deployed perfectly, and it was a damned good thing, too, because Lestar Jean flew downfield, and QB Matt Schaub hit'm square in the chest, 30 Yards downfield, with a picture-perfect strike...but Kyle Arrington played it beautifully, racing downfield with Jean, stride for stride, timing it exquisitely, getting an hand right in there, in Jean's catching radius, and thwarting his attempt to get'is hands together!! Punt!!

2 ~ 01:14:45. Patriots up, 21-0. Middle of the 2nd Quarter. Planet Hoosten is finally starting to recover, and has driven into Patriot territory, but their drive has stalled out, and they face a 4th & 5 at the Patriot 33. Matt Schaub drops back and slings a pass directly into the hands of Kevin Walter at the Patriot 30 to Move The Chains...but Kyle Arrington pounces on Walter right before it arrives, jostling Walter's concentration and jostling the Ball ~ Incomplete!! Planet Hoosten turns it over on Downs, and their fledgling spark of Momentum is vapor!!

3 ~ 02:23:10. Patriots up, 28-7. Late in the 3rd Quarter. Planet Hoosten has finally gotten on the board, and then they've stopped us, so they're still hoping it isn't too late to claw their way back into this thing...But they're facing a 3rd & 3 on their own 26. Schaub drops back, fires a perfect strike to Keshawn Martin at the 30, to Move The Chains...and again Arrington thwarts Planet Hoosten's plans, sticking to Martin like a bad suit as they cut across the middle and then mauling'm as the Ball arrives, tossing Martin to the ground, and sending the Ball flying!! Denied!!

222478661.jpg

What I Saw Through The Looking Glass

CB Kyle Arrington has gotten a lot of grief for'is difficulties earlier this Season, and some or all of it may've been warranted, though it's often difficult to assess when a Safety should've taken over a Route. And God knows our Safeties were playing horrifically, before Devin McCourty took over, Week 7.

Personally, I suspect an undisclosed Injury. In any case, he certainly wasn't displaying the Speed, the Decisiveness, or the Confidence that we've become accustomed to from'm over the last couple of years, so Idiot Radio's Short Attention Span Brigades were bellowing for'is head like a swarm of impaled Cattle!!

Well, that has changed dramatically.

Since Arrington took over in the Slot, a few weeks ago, we have all witnessed an astonishing Resurgence.

Perhaps working the generally shorter Routes in the middle of the field as Slot Corner is perfect for'm, because it eradicates the need to sprint downfield with Split Ends and Flankers, which he'd had horrible difficulties with, earlier this year...and allows'm to exploit his tremendous Burst, his exceptional Fluidity, and'is outstanding Diagnostic Acuity & Processing Speed to disrupt and destroy Routes in the middle of the field.

Or perhaps my suspicion was actually correct, and he was working off an Injury earlier in the Year, one that he's finally left behind'm, over the last few weeks. He sure looked Top Shelf on that Pass to Lester Jean!!

In any case, one thing is dead certain: CB Kyle Arrington has found his Home at Slot Corner.

And his Impact in the Big Games to come could be immense....

Championship Quest: The Trenches, Defense, & Using The Whole Pig!!

I will be focused on these Aspects that, in my opinion, weigh more vitally than all other considerations in any team's Pursuit of Super Bowl Glory.

Defense ~ CB Kyle Arrington!!

One of my favorite Stories, this year, has been the sudden and stunning Resurgence of CB Kyle Arrington since he took over at Slot Corner, ....................

What I Saw Through The Looking Glass

CB Kyle Arrington has gotten a lot of grief for'is difficulties earlier this Season, and some or all of it may've been warranted, though it's often difficult to assess when a Safety should've taken over a Route. And God knows our Safeties were playing horrifically, before Devin McCourty took over, Week 7.

Personally, I suspect an undisclosed Injury. In any case, he certainly wasn't displaying the Speed, the Decisiveness, or the Confidence that we've become accustomed to from'm over the last couple of years, so Idiot Radio's Short Attention Span Brigades were bellowing for'is head like a swarm of impaled Cattle!!

Well, that has changed dramatically.

Since Arrington took over in the Slot, a few weeks ago, we have all witnessed an astonishing Resurgence.

Bump. (shouldn't be buried at bottom of page 1). good stuff.

Interesting theory that he was slowed rather than is slow.

You are fighting against the grain here my friend; don't you know the common coin on the board right now is he should have been discarded like merriweather by now and sent to some other team's PS.

I like Arrington's fight and spunk. Kind of similar to Sterling Moore; (a guy you loved to root for even if his talent level wasn't necessarily there). But like you, I still think Arrington has the talent level to play at least the slot-cb. Maybe unlike you, I am skeptical about that he could step up to LCB/RCB because of the same evidence that caused folks to write him off. But for sure he needs to stick around, compete and if he is the best man -PUT HIM ON THE FIELD.

(you know BB will always look to raise that level of competition if the Pats 'best man' isn't good enough to meet standards.)

You are fighting against the grain here my friend; don't you know the common coin on the board right now is he should have been discarded like merriweather by now and sent to some other team's PS.

What? Nobody wanted him gone. The problem was him playing on the outside.

I maybe painted too broad a brush there; but there were definitely at least a couple of guys who posted wanting him cut loose in various threads. but overall you are right that (not a L/RCB) is probably vast majority opinion.

Hadn't heard anybody but OTG think there was any kind of injury going on though. That was the main reason for the bump.

Last edited:
Great post. You could see Belichick's appreciation for him in his expression when he asked if Arrington was alright after Francis dive bombed him. He wasn't just concerned; he was worried.

He definitely does not have the top-end speed you wouold like to see in an outside corner, but he's got quickness to the ball in spades, which made-up for that lack of speed and made him a solid contributor last year. He also is tremendous at shedding blocks and providing run support, which made him like McCourty, a huge asset against the outside run game, which when you have Vince inside makes for a nice combination. Unfortunately, there was enough tape on Arrington that coaches had figured out that challenging him vertically exposed the Patriots, especially with the suspect safety play and susceptibility to play action. In the slot and with McCourty back there, his limited (but not lack of) speed is not much of an issue, and the value of his quickness and ball skills is amplified.

Arrington's skill set is the defensive analog of Welker's, who is not capable of outrunning even slow corners, but must rely on quickness and precision of routes to separate. The difference is that the only attention-grabbing stats CBs accrue are for the other team, so strong play and tight coverage get undervalued by the casual and/or inebriated fan.

Bump. (shouldn't be buried at bottom of page 1). good stuff.

Interesting theory that he was slowed rather than is slow.

I like Arrington's fight and spunk.

Kind of similar to Sterling Moore; (a guy you loved to root for even if his talent level wasn't necessarily there).

But like you, I still think Arrington has the talent level to play at least the slot-cb. Maybe unlike you, I am skeptical about that he could step up to LCB/RCB because of the same evidence that caused folks to write him off. But for sure he needs to stick around, compete and if he is the best man -PUT HIM ON THE FIELD.

(you know BB will always look to raise that level of competition if the Pats 'best man' isn't good enough to meet standards.)

Great Post, Brother. And thanks for the Bump. ;)

1 ~ Terrific Analysis of Sterling Moore: Loved the kid, but GOD, was he limited.

2 ~ I am truly uncertain about Arrington: The notion of an injury is 100% Speculation on my part, but he certainly seems to be playing with light years more authority, the last 3 or 4 weeks.
39.gif

Great post. You could see Belichick's appreciation for him in his expression when he asked if Arrington was alright after Francis dive bombed him. He wasn't just concerned; he was worried.

He definitely does not have the top-end speed you wouold like to see in an outside corner, but he's got quickness to the ball in spades, which made-up for that lack of speed and made him a solid contributor last year.

He also is tremendous at shedding blocks and providing run support, which made him like McCourty, a huge asset against the outside run game, which when you have Vince inside makes for a nice combination. Unfortunately, there was enough tape on Arrington that coaches had figured out that challenging him vertically exposed the Patriots, especially with the suspect safety play and susceptibility to play action. In the slot and with McCourty back there, his limited (but not lack of) speed is not much of an issue, and the value of his quickness and ball skills is amplified.

Arrington's skill set is the defensive analog of Welker's, who is not capable of outrunning even slow corners, but must rely on quickness and precision of routes to separate. The difference is that the only attention-grabbing stats CBs accrue are for the other team, so strong play and tight coverage get undervalued by the casual and/or inebriated fan.

Thank you, Sir. :D

And may I add: Yours is an outstanding Post.

1 ~ I've given'is Long Speed ~ his Top End Speed ~ a great deal of thought...and I'm not as certain that he lacks it when he's 100%, which is the genesis of my speculation about his health, earlier this year: He certainly flew down the field with Lestar Jean ~ 30 yards downfield from the Line of Scrimmage ~ without missing a step.

Mind you: Lestar Jean only ran about a 4.60 on the 40. But Arrington himself ran a 4.44.

2 ~ Terrific Point about the other teams reading Tape on'm, and discovering that they could exploit'm by Going Long. I gave that angle considerable thought, because I heartily agree: The way teams played'm, the first 6 to 9 Weeks, strongly suggested that very thing.

The thing about that that gives me paws is: they should've had plenty of Tape on'm after he started 14 Games in 2010...Yet he had that terrific Campaign, last year.
39.gif

And here's the other thing: I don't know where to check out Special Teams Tackles, but Arrington's improved play on Special Teams over these last same few weeks has been dramatic enough ~ indeed, he led us with 2 Tackles against Planet Hoosten ~ to draw comment from Mike Reiss: "in recent weeks, he's had a few throwback type of games on special teams."

That strongly suggests to me that my eyes aren't the only ones who're seeing a much faster guy, ere these last few weeks, than we did, earlier, this season.

3 ~ Even so, I'm inclined to think that, at the very least, your rather brilliant Post is very close to the Mark, if not right on it. Could be that Arrington, even when 100%, will win most of the Battles based on a combination of pretty good speed, enhanced by terrific Core Strength, Intelligence, Savvy, and, above all, Ferocity...but that his limitations, even at 100%, will be exposed and exploited by the really fast guys, and that we will, as a result, always be in Peril if he's starting on the Outside against a team armed with such a Weapon.

4 ~ Your Analogy with Welker was exquisite. Welker is, indeed, no Flanker, much less a Split End, precisely because of the lack of Long Speed that you refer to, yet is nothing less than a magnificent Slot End because of his unearthly Short Speed, as well as his remarkable Fluidity and his extraordinary Savvy.

Ditto, Arrington, who's Long Speed is perhaps better than most perceive, but not really good enough to elicit a warm fuzzy feeling when he's out there on the Edge...but who's outstanding Short Speed, combined with remarkable Fluidity, highly impressive Processing Speed, and ferocious, terrifying Run Defense, make for a phenomenal Slot Corner.

Thank you for a remarkable Post, Sir. I feel smarter for having read it!!
beer.gif

An old Latin proverb states "To each cat, his own rat", It means there is an optimum place for each player to utilize his talents. Arrington is not an outside CB,and can be exploited playing there.

But he is a much better slot CB than I thought. In my minds eye, I thought the ultimate secondary would be Ras-I/Mcourty and Talib, or McCourty, at the outside CBs with Fonzie at slot CB and Arrington for the #4 outside and#2 slot CB. In short, as a very competent reserve only.

Dennard surprised me with his heady play outside, but I fear he has the same problem as Arrington regarding big WRs going long, but not as acute.

That is not to say one more good secondary talent would not "finish" the secondary rebuilding.

I'm glad you wrote thsi post. It definitely merits recognition, for a heady but limited ball playe, who may have found his niche.

Entitled, Snivelling, Bleating Whiner Alert!! :eek:

HA HA!! Last night's miscue was unfortuante timing with regards to this thread. He looked Darius Butler-esque out there on an island.

Of course he did. I'm not totally sure why exactly he was "on an island" against Michael Crabtree in a revitalized tied game late in the 4th quarter? We may want to ask Ellis Hobbs what the scheme was, he may be able to fill us in :rolleyes:

He has looked much better of late in the slot, where he belongs.

Our chances of moving forward now hinge on the injury status of a 7th round rookie.

HA HA!! Last night's miscue was unfortuante timing with regards to this thread. He looked Darius Butler-esque out there on an island.

Brothers Grid and Gronkandez, I think we'd agree that although Arrington had a bad game, he still brings something to the team as a slot corner, even if he's over-matched against elite outside receivers.

Last edited:
he still brings something to the team as a slot corner, even if he's over-matched against elite outside receivers.

Which brings me right back to my previous comment.

Which brings me right back to my previous comment.

One of the negatives about the NFL is that injuries play such a huge role. A team loses a #1 corner, a backup subs in, he's not as good, and the other team starts attacking him, and predictably moves the ball.

Of course the same thing can and does work in the Pats' favor, but as a fan, I'd prefer to see healthy teams play healthy teams, to see who really is the best.

Last edited:
Brothers Grid and Gronkandez, I think we'd agree that although Arrington had a bad game, he still brings something to the team as a slot corner, even if he's over-matched against elite outside receivers.

Agreed...but it was a frustrating play nonetheless. Credit the QB for recognizing the blitz and getting the ball out there quickly.

FWIW, I didn't know Crabtree became good. I thought he still sucked.

Well, nobody was calling'm Deion Sanders, now, were they?
spock.gif

A Slot Corner is a Slot Corner...is all I'm saying. ;)

Of course he did. I'm not totally sure why exactly he was "on an island" against Michael Crabtree in a revitalized tied game late in the 4th quarter?
Especially with Aqib Talib currently on the roster.

Especially with Aqib Talib currently on the roster.

I mean, I get it--on some level obviously. I just don't agree with it myself.

Of course I also don't have 1/1000th of the knowledge that Belichick and the coaches have. I just wouldn't have chosen to do it that way myself, especially not in that situation.

One of the negatives about the NFL is that injuries play such a huge role. A team loses a #1 corner, a backup subs in, he's not as good, and the other team starts attacking him, and predictably moves the ball.

Absolutely..I understand that Arrington is certainly the backup outside CB in that situation, but he could have gotten more help, a different scheme, or different choices/options to play those percentages.

As good as Arrington has been in the slot, no one here was surprised to see that last night, as we know his weaknesses. That said, so do Belichick and the coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes