PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Through Game 3: Keep Mike Wright, Patrick Cobbs. Demote: Reche Caldwell. More?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
What a game. Thoughts through game 3:

Mike Wright was making plays all over the field, on defense and special teams. He has been doing this pretty consistently throughout the pre-season.

Patrick Cobbs has 'the vision'. He's not the fastest or quickest, but whenever he has the ball he simply makes plays, uses blocks effectively, and knows which angles to run. We CANNOT release him; the Colts could pick him up and he will be better than Addai.

I'm sorry to say this, but I don't like Reche Caldwell as anything more than a 4th receiver. We can't dump him because of our depth, but when Branch and Jackson come back, I don't want to see Caldwell on the field if we can help it. Based on his college and San Diego film I thought he didn't catch balls properly (didn't extend his arms), and he hasn't improved since he's been here. I'd rather have an extra tight end in there than Caldwell.

Other notables:
Matt Cassel is a keeper, there is no doubt anymore. He will be the steal of his draft when all is said and done. I hope we hold onto him and never trade him.

Junior Seau will do a fine job as our starting inside linebacker. He really adds attitude on defense, and it is noticeable.

Monty Beisel is officially demoted on the team. Some had been saying his for months, while others emphatically defended him. I think it's safe to say the Beisel experiment is over, at least for this year, and for that I am extremely glad. He'll be stuck on special teams, where I don't think he stands out either.

Patrick Pass looks like he's on his way out (keep Cobbs). Same goes for Jonathan Sullivan (keep Wright).

Last edited:
no problem with any of these suggestions. I still think patience is required for Caldwell, and that a demotion is iffy (given the alernatives), but it's certainly an arguable position - as opposed to, say, the prospect of cutting him. ;)

I would keep sullivan. I think he needs a year to acclimate himself to the dynamics of the New England locker room which is all about trying to improve yourself and improve as a team. Once he gets in that mindset, i think he can become an excellent contributor.

Yes, I would keep wright. The person I would cut is Hill. As I said in another thread, if we have to have that guy who has a lot of promise and potential but hasn't shown it yet, then my vote for this year would be for Sullivan to be on that spot. Hill has not shown that he is capable of translating that promise into production in the years that he has been here. It's time to give that shot to someone else.

smg93 said:
The person I would cut is Hill. As I said in another thread, if we have to have that guy who has a lot of promise and potential but hasn't shown it yet, then my vote for this year would be for Sullivan to be on that spot. Hill has not shown that he is capable of translating that promise into production in the years that he has been here. It's time to give that shot to someone else.
I think Hill is either IRed or cut possibly the former..he needed a big camp and he went down early..an ankle injury..maybe a year watching learning may help. I would NOT give up on him so soon..although he has shown little so far. Wright is by far the better player..a keeper!!! Same with Cobbs!! The Colts would jump to get him...I think he's stashed on the roster this year..had predicted the PSqd for him and a suprise, but he's been even better...

Cobbs is a pretty decent back, I really hope we keep him because he could be Dillon's replacement eventually with Maroney being the lead back. I just have this feeling that BB is going to cut him.

There is no denying now that Mike Wright is a playmaker. Geez, the guy is everywhere!

Re: Through Game 3: Keep Mike Wright, Patrick Cobbs. Demote: Reche Caldwell. Mor

maverick4 said:
Matt Cassel is a keeper, there is no doubt anymore. He will be the steal of his draft when all is said and done.

Would that be the same draft in which Washington traded the farm to take Jason Campbell in the 1st? :)

What strikes me most about Cassel vs. last year: he's starting to look more like Tom Brady. Not in quality necessarily, but in style -- he seems to be working hard to mold himself into a photocopy of the starter. (A photocopy is always rougher around the edges, but it does the job.) That's just what you'd hope for in an offense that's been fine-tuned to Brady. If he has to step in, it's much less of an adjustment for the players around him.

Unless another team places huge emphasis on his fumble from the previous preseason game, it's doubtful Cobb makes it through the waiver to get to the practice squad.

Beisel was not on ANY ST last night that I saw. Maybe he was in the 4th Q, but not with the starters. Hard to imagine him sticking with the club.

Wright has earned a spot and he's versatile, just as BB likes them. I would prefer to IR Hill if need be rather than cut him.

You are correct about Caldwell, he does not pluck the ball, he tends to cradle it. I still think he is a bit soft, maybe too soft for the Pats. BB said Jackson was day to day with the hammy, but the days are running out. He needs to get back on the field.

Hard to imagine Seau lasting 16 games. The best case scenario is that he doesn't brake down until Bruschi is back and at near 100%. However if I'm wrong and Seau lasts 16 games, what does that mean for Gardner and Alexander, who played outside a good bit.

Re: Through Game 3: Keep Mike Wright, Patrick Cobbs. Demote: Reche Caldwell. Mor

maverick4 said:
Matt Cassel is a keeper, there is no doubt anymore. He will be the steal of his draft when all is said and done. I hope we hold onto him and never trade him.
To give credit here: Patchick was one of the first (if not the first) on this board to predict great things for Cassel. Just as Big Mike predicted Watson.

Cassel's looking terrific, but he'll be traded because Belichick is only portrayed as an insensitive coach. Truly, BB understands players (and coaches) who want to move on and achieve their dreams. It's not Cassel's dream to carry a clipboard.

So we should enjoy while we can watching a good backup get better. He won't be around too much longer.

The worst thing about Caldwell, is when they had a a quick out, he got it then ran in pace for like 2 seconds then got tackled. On that play you need to catch it then head straight up field. he just doesnt seem to have it. As for the rest of the offense they looked phenomenal last night.

Branch and Givens were tough-I hand it to them.
Caldwell gets up like a *****. He has skill but he'll go out with an injury just like Terry Glenn for Dallas.....you watch.

Troy Brown is my boy-he's tough.

We need Chad back too.

I think we should keep Cobbs as well but the RB situation is tough-lotsa talent there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back