PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Three More Months Of Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We will add lots of folks over the next three months, including UDFA's. Maybe we'll get a player through trade or by way of a late cut. In any case, we have entered the next phase of BUILDING THE ROSTER 2014.

We NEED additional backups, camp competition or camp bodies at TE, RB, FB, DE and LB.

TEs availible

Keller
Gonzo
Finley* I know some would hate him but he looked solid last year before his injury.

Also a trade (unlikely but possible) could be in the cards. Maybe Arrington

Finley seems to drop the ball a lot, I'd prefer Keller over him and you'd think he will sign after June 1st.

Don't Atlanta still have the rights to Gonzalez so the only way he could be had is via trade? He carries a $7m salary with that too.

We will add lots of folks over the next three months, including UDFA's. Maybe we'll get a player through trade or by way of a late cut. In any case, we have entered the next phase of BUILDING THE ROSTER 2014.

We NEED additional backups, camp competition or camp bodies at TE, RB, FB, DE and LB.

I don't think we need more RBs. We have 5, that seems to be plenty for camp.
I don't think we need more DEs either, unless you are thinking Smith will bust.
One FB plus a couple of Hback type UDFAs seems like enough.
We have a bunch of TEs, so upgrading would seem to be the focus.
I'd like to see LBs brought in.

We have 4 RB's plus scrub Gray. I don't see how bringing in competition or injury insurance can hurt. Bolden is not exactly a star, and Vereen has an injury history.

With regard to DE's, I'm fine with Ninkovich, Jones, and Smith. We have 2 other positions with Buchanan, Moore and Bequette in house. It seems that a bit of camp competition seems reasonable.

Perhaps we are talking at two different levels. Perhaps you are talking about significant free agents and serious upgrades to our roster. In that case, I would only include LB, TE and FB, as you did.

I don't think we need more RBs. We have 5, that seems to be plenty for camp.
I don't think we need more DEs either, unless you are thinking Smith will bust.
One FB plus a couple of Hback type UDFAs seems like enough.
We have a bunch of TEs, so upgrading would seem to be the focus.
I'd like to see LBs brought in.

Don't Atlanta still have the rights to Gonzalez so the only way he could be had is via trade? He carries a $7m salary with that too.

No. Atlanta offically released him. He's a free agent.

No. Atlanta offically released him. He's a free agent.
In that case, SIGN THE BEAST :D

Let him have a light schedule in TC, as long as he learns the playbook it'll work out.

sign gonzo and ir designated to return him, bring him back for the last few weeks of the season, give him a minimal contract, and per game bonuses, so he only gets paid decent money for the games he plays.

sign gonzo and ir designated to return him, bring him back for the last few weeks of the season, give him a minimal contract, and per game bonuses, so he only gets paid decent money for the games he plays.
Do you really believe Gonzalez is going to come to Foxboro for pennies on the dollar? He's a vested veteran who has produced every season he's played in the NFL. He's in a position where he can dictate price if he wants to play for a contender.

Every move will be the right move. Every UDFA will make the team, and none of the other players will be cut. The NFL is going to make a special "BB is never wrong" exception, and the Patriots will be able to carry 100 players and go over the cap.

Pats-Koolaid.jpg

To hell with sipping, let's just go 100% Jonestown and chug it all down!

Do you really believe Gonzalez is going to come to Foxboro for pennies on the dollar? He's a vested veteran who has produced every season he's played in the NFL. He's in a position where he can dictate price if he wants to play for a contender.

and he will get paid like it for the games he plays. his goal is to only play at the end of a season with a superbowl favorite.

give him a contract that says "hey we want you for a playoff run, if we get to the end of the season and you dont feel like we have a shot you dont have to come back" its a win win

Did you get that guys? Can't have any excitement for the 2014 Patriots. We all need to get with the program like deus and be less of a fan and be more of a critic.

and he will get paid like it for the games he plays. his goal is to only play at the end of a season with a superbowl favorite.

give him a contract that says "hey we want you for a playoff run, if we get to the end of the season and you dont feel like we have a shot you dont have to come back" its a win win
In all of your spectating experience, how many times have you seen an agreement as such put in place and been successful?

We have 4 RB's plus scrub Gray. I don't see how bringing in competition or injury insurance can hurt. Bolden is not exactly a star, and Vereen has an injury history.
We have 5 plus Gray, we drafted one and signed a UDFA

With regard to DE's, I'm fine with Ninkovich, Jones, and Smith. We have 2 other positions with Buchanan, Moore and Bequette in house. It seems that a bit of camp competition seems reasonable.
I doubt we keep 5. Buchanan, Moore and Bequette are competing for 1 spot.

Perhaps we are talking at two different levels. Perhaps you are talking about significant free agents and serious upgrades to our roster. In that case, I would only include LB, TE and FB, as you did.
I was also talking about having enough bodies to take reps, which I think we do in the way I stated.

Every move will be the right move. Every UDFA will make the team, and none of the other players will be cut. The NFL is going to make a special "BB is never wrong" exception, and the Patriots will be able to carry 100 players and go over the cap.

Pats-Koolaid.jpg

To hell with sipping, let's just go 100% Jonestown and chug it all down!

In all the years I have been on this board, I have never seen one single poster state that they believe BB is never wrong, yet you trot out this strawman on a daily basis, and it has become your mantra.

I am not holding my breath about Tony G coming back, guy has a cushy studio job... why would he want to leave and come back? Even if he wanted to, I doubt BB would allow TG to play only in the playoffs; he has had abbreviated training camps but the guy needs time in the offense.

Even if he wanted to come back and play for a contender, would the studio let him out of his contract?

maybe we can find a decent tight end who's a receiving threat.

I am not holding my breath about Tony G coming back, guy has a cushy studio job... why would he want to leave and come back? Even if he wanted to, I doubt BB would allow TG to play only in the playoffs; he has had abbreviated training camps but the guy needs time in the offense.

Even if he wanted to come back and play for a contender, would the studio let him out of his contract?

I don't expect Gonzalez to come here either but I don't think the studio would stand in his way. He never filed retirement papers. I have to think there is wording in his tv contract to let him go if a great playing opportunity came up.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014-nfl-undrafted-free-agents

Tyler Beck TE Bowling Green
Roy Finch RB Oklahoma
James Morris LB Iowa
Travis Hawkins DB Delaware
Justin Jones TE East Carolina
Deylan Buntyn, DL North Carolina State
Asa Watson TE North Carolina State
Tyler Ott LS Harvard
Cameron Gordon LB Michigan
Jeremy Deering S Rutgers
Deontae Skinner LB Mississippi State
Stephen Houston RB Indiana
Kyle Harbridge RB Saint Francis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back