PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts re: Tony Romo

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Superficially, Romo reminds me of Montana more than any QB I've seen in awhile. He has mobility, plus accuracy and poise. He has the same average arm. If you watch some of Montana's classic games you know what I'm talking about. That being said ...

Romo has the best collection of skill position players on offense in the league, and those players can make anyone look good in the short term. It's frightening he can throw to Owens, Glenn or Witten, plus run with Barber and Jones. An Amazing collection of talent. Only Bledsoe could have screwed that up. In time, D-coordinators will adjust somewhat to Romo's tendencies and begin to scheme against him, as they did to Grossman. We'll have to see whether he can adjust as well. I think hecan, because he shows unusual savvy and gamesmanship in the way he looks off defenders and sets them up with play-fakes and misdirection using his feet.

But the Cowboys achilles' heel is the O-line., in fact both lines. Parcells, strangely, has failed to construct an O-line despite using numerous Day 1 draft picks on it. Romo has played: Arizona, TB, Washington, 3 of the worst teams and defenses in the NFL, with sub-par pass rushers. In those games the team scored an average of 28 points per game. Against Indy the Cowboy O was shutout in the first half. My feeling is that Dallas' achilles heel on both sides of the ball is in the trenches. The Cowboys' average D-line and O-line will be exposed in the playoffs against the Bears, probably in the NFC Championship game. The Bears will run sucessfully against the Cowboys in brutal weather, just as Cadillac Williams did for Tampa. The Bears pass rush should threaten Romo on every play. Romo, like all QBs is susceptible to inside pressure; I expect a solid win for the Bears in that game. If the Bears make it to the SB IMO, they will beat any AFC team except the Pats or the Ravens (Yes, they will beat the Chargers and the Colts).

Last edited:
Romo has been fun to watch...we'll have to wait and see what weakness will be exploited....certainly much harder to gameplan against than Bledsoe.

some of you Romosexuals need to get off of Tony's jock. He's an average QB with great receivers around him. i lost a lot of respect for him when he sat and cried on the bench against the seahawks when the game wasn't even over. he had tears in his eyes before he threw that last hail mary. that's not the type of QB i want on my team, and that's definitely not what montana would've done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes