Welcome to PatsFans.com

Thoughts on Tolerance for the Ground Zero Mosque

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Sep 22, 2010.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

Someone just sent me the thoughts below...

AND I LOVE IT!!!

Let me if you agree or not!

"I am perplexed that so many of my friends are against a mosque being built near Ground Zero. I think it should be the goal of every American to be tolerant. The mosque should be allowed, in an effort to promote tolerance.

That is why I also propose, that two gay nightclubs be opened next door to the mosque thereby promoting tolerance within the mosque.
    We could call the Clubs "The Turban Cowboy" and "You Mecca Me So Hot."

Next door should be a butcher shop that specializes in pork and have an open BBQ with spare ribs as its daily special.

Across the street a very daring lingerie store called "Victoria Keeps Nothing Secret" with sexy mannequins in the window modeling the goods.

Next door to the lingerie shop, there would be room for an Adult Toy Shop, called "All Ah Need," in flashing neon lights.

2. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

I can hardly wait for Harry's comments on this!!:D

3. Teenuh

Teenuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Both are freedom issues in my point of view. If you want to build a mosque or a church, then go for it. If you want to build a gay nightclub, then go for it. As a society we need to learn to deal with things like this.

4. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Wasn't Greg Gutfeld from (Fox's RedEye) actually doing this? He was raising money and pursuing permits, etc.

Greg Gutfeld: I'm Opening Gay Bar Next To Mosque

Not much on his blog about it lately, maybe he was just making a point.

I agree. Tolerance needs to be a two way street.

5. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Except, the stated purpose by the founders of the mosque, is to build a grandiose mosque at the heart of Ground Zero, a dawa in the heart of New York City because of 9/11. Mosques have been operating all along without a problem. It's because the purpose of this mosque was to stoke emotion is why the debate has occurred. Same with the satire examples above... a gay nightclub targeted at Islam is a purposeful insult. Otherwise, I agree, who cares.

And let me put the caveat many have: they have the right to do this; I don't think they should do it; I don't want the government to interfere with the plans, but I support the private citizens who are declining to assist in building it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  6. Teenuh

Teenuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have never heard them say anything like that. But from my perspective, it wouldn't matter anyway. They have a right to build it regardless of whether or not I agree with it. And a person has a right to build a gay nightclub to piss off the people at the mosque, regardless of whether or not people agree with it. :confused2:

Honestly, I think the debate was just a political ploy because its an election year. It gives the the two sides one more thing to use to rally their base. :rolleyes: But for the sake of argument, I'll say I agree with you. And I do agree that both the mosque and the gay nightclub are a bad idea but I'm not going to tell people they can't do something just because I disagree with it. :confused2: Its a non-issue for me. People just need to get over it and learn to accept the fact that other people are sometimes going to do things they don't like.

7. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Careful, you'll ruin your reputation as a hypocrisy exterminator.

:p

8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My thoughts are that Patriotsreign's 'friend' is having some trouble with the meaning of the word tolerance.

It doesn't mean find an indirect way to tell Muslims that they're sub-human.

9. Teenuh

Teenuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't see anything even close to being hypocritical in my post.

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

Tolerance is indeed a two way street, and while I wouldn't stand in front of the the supply truck headed for the mosque project, I do see the intentions of the proposers, for what they are. Furthermore, it's somewhat inconsiderate for people outside of that NY area, to say who cares if they build it. It's like a sex offender moving next door to you, and your 3 little daughters. People in the state next to you say "who cares", and that "they have a right to live there", but I'm guessing you wouldn't quite hold the same view.

11. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So not only are all Muslims terrorists they're also pedophiles?

Well that's certainly illuminating.

12. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

No, but hypocrisy is something that you seem comfortable decrying and telling people that they shouldn't engage in.

It was really a tongue-in-cheek comment.

13. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

He sure did Brandon. And, like you said, he's dead serious about it. I don't know if he'll find anybody who is willing to risk their heads (literally) for this, but I hope he does. Red Eye is a great show.

As for my thoughts, I think that of course they have a right to build it. That's why this country is awesome. But you would think that if they were really concenrned about building bridges and promoting meaningful dialogue, they would consider the feelings of people before doing something like this.

14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

Thought I might actually read at least one comment noting how funny the quote I posted was. Have we all lost our sense of humor or do we only laugh at catholic jokes now?

I mean..."The Turbin Cowboy" and "You Mecca Me So Hot."!!!!!

Funny as hell, isn't it?

C'mon folks...the guy wasn't serious. Yet all the comments are so damn serious.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  15. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Haha they were funny. The best suggestion that I have heard for a Muslim gay bar near the mosque is "Suspicious Packages."

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

Army...that's actually very funny!

17. Teenuh

Teenuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy. If people want to be hypocritical that's their choice, I just help people see it for what it is... :D

18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

Reading is fundamental.

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

It's no joke to the liberals, they don't see anything funny in jokes about their "new love" ISLAM, if you want to get the liberals laughing make some jokes about Jesus Being Crucified or God getting a colonoscopy.

20. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

It's no joke to the conservatives, they don't see anything funny in jokes about their "new love" ISLAM