PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, this was on a play where the Jets got a few yards to the left and Bruschi hit him in the midsection about half a second after he was down (not sure when the whistle blew) and they gave them 15 yards on it. Definition of ticky tack.

Was that in the beginning of the second half? I missed the first Jet drive and I have no recollection of what you are referring to.

Hopefully it was in the first Jet drive of the 3rd quarter because if not, there is a realistic chance that I hallucinated the entire game.

No, this was on a play where the Jets got a few yards to the left and Bruschi hit him in the midsection about half a second after he was down (not sure when the whistle blew) and they gave them 15 yards on it. Definition of ticky tack.

I thought that it was a fair call -- but the sort of penalty that you simply could not help giving up if you play the game at full tilt. Them's the breaks ...

After the game was over, I felt regret that I don't have a DVR/video. It was such an absorbing chess game, that I just wanted to watch it over again straight away. This thread has been like doing that. Thanks -- five stars!!!

Last edited:
Bump for Brownfan. He usually responds but hasn't yet.

* One down note that worries me for this coming game. I thought that the LB's coverage (particularly Vrabel) was pretty poor. Baker seemed to be able to get open whenever he wanted to, which is not a good sign when they face Gates next week. I'm sure that NE will have different coverage packages for Gates than they did for Baker.

On to San Diego.

* Gates worries me...Not only that, but the receiving threats on StL were little quick guys rather than a physical beast like Gates.
I haven't gone to tape yet, so these are game impressions and NFL.com gamebook notes:
- Baker had no receptions in the first half (http://www.superbowl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20070107_NYJ@NE), so all 5 for 68 yds came in the second half when he was getting open underneath the LBs with a Pats D playing back - He had 1 catch for a first down in the 3rd Qtr and 3 for first downs on the first drive of the 4th Qtr. Let not your heart be troubled - Vrabes was in zone when I noticed him.

For Gates: start Chad Scott at SS in place of Sanders. You get good run support and you get a taller, more athletic CB/FS type to run with Gates.

* On the play where Maroney was leveled on the goal line, what was Heath Evans doing? I looked to me that he chose to double a guy that was already engaged rather than block the best LB on the Jets. Unless someone can explain to me what I am missing, that was potentially a big mistake.
Vilma came from inside out to make the tackle, he should have been sealed inside by a TE or OT setting the edge. Evans is leading from inside out, he is responsible for turning the corner and blocking upfield or getting a kick-out block.

Think of it in terms of momentum and try to imagine a 250 lb FB getting up steam, braking and turning 90 degrees to his right, and then locking up on Vilma - all the time tip toeing through arms, legs, and bodies on the ground.

bump ......

One other thing I noticed. The play of the secondary appeared much improved. With the exception of Hawkins not providing deep support and missing the tackle on that TD, they played a solid game. Asante, besides the pick, seemed solid on coverage all day, coming up with, if I remember correctly two great reaching break ups, and no one getting behind any of them with any consistency. There were little YAC for the Jets receivers when they did catch that underneath stuff, especially in the first half. They were tackling, too.

I haven't gone to tape yet, so these are game impressions and NFL.com gamebook notes:
- Baker had no receptions in the first half (http://www.superbowl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20070107_NYJ@NE), so all 5 for 68 yds came in the second half when he was getting open underneath the LBs with a Pats D playing back - He had 1 catch for a first down in the 3rd Qtr and 3 for first downs on the first drive of the 4th Qtr. Let not your heart be troubled - Vrabes was in zone when I noticed him.

For Gates: start Chad Scott at SS in place of Sanders. You get good run support and you get a taller, more athletic CB/FS type to run with Gates.

Vilma came from inside out to make the tackle, he should have been sealed inside by a TE or OT setting the edge. Evans is leading from inside out, he is responsible for turning the corner and blocking upfield or getting a kick-out block.

Think of it in terms of momentum and try to imagine a 250 lb FB getting up steam, braking and turning 90 degrees to his right, and then locking up on Vilma - all the time tip toeing through arms, legs, and bodies on the ground.

Thank you for your response. That makes me feel better about Baker.

With regard to the Evans/Maroney play, were you able to tell who missed seal on Vilma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back