Welcome to PatsFans.com

Thoughts on the Station Fire in RI...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Sep 30, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

now that has pretty much come to an end, for me still a lot needs resolution, for the grace of god I did not know anyone directly who died in this horrific fire, although I know some of the families effected.

What has always amazed me about this tragedy is there is a fire station about 200 yards away from this night club... guess it was pretty intense. Some of the victim impact statements indicated that the exits were locked and the bouncers would not allow people to escape this way, wtf. There was also the foam issue and plexiglass on some of the windows, talk about a toxic ****tail

Spent some time watching the victim impact statements on the Court Channel and they politicized it more than the regular news feeds, which was less sanitized... I don't know what the outcome should have been, don't know how to adminster justice on these guys, have no idea how to make this right.. but I think their sentences are way too lenient and the families have a right to their anger. OTOH I have worked with Frank Darrigan, the judge, a long time ago and he is a man of great character, principal and a very good attorney. I think the families wanted a trial, so the argument about sparing them from reliving it sucked...I do agree it would have been next to impossible to seat an impartial jury in this state. So I am torn between the judge and some type of justice the family deserved... there is no money as the Derderians are now bankrupt. The litigation with the insurance company will drag on.

My major issue right now is that Dan Biechle, the tour manager, is on work release and Michael Derderian will be on the same status soon.... think they could have both benefited from being behind high walls for while and some cool steel on their wrists.. while Jeff Derderian is doing community service. If they were given work release should have been on a burn ward somewhere, and should have been longer, to me it looks like a slap on the wrist, would not be surprised is a very angry relative pulls a gun on one or all three of them soon.. Know I am rambling, but reflects my mind about this horrific event in our lives.
  2. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I went to high school with one of the guys who died. I didnt know him all that well as we lost touch after high school (18 years ago)

I thought the Derderian brothers got off easy whilst Biechele was like the patsy who took the biggest fall. Something smells fishy in all this.

Rhode Island politics are definately in play here.
  3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have total sympathy for the victims and their families, but some of these reports just stretch the bounds of credulity. I mean, does anyone really think that in the middle of an inferno there were bouncers inside the building not letting people use certain exits...? Gimme a break. Those bouncers would have long since escaped from the building.
    That's funny because right now I think he could be the biggest ********* in Rhode Island. And I am not exactly alone in that opinion.
    The real reason this lowlife judge wanted to avoid a trial is to spare the state of RI any embarassment regarding their own culpability in the matter. The last thing these cronies wanted was to put any of the fire chiefs or inspectors on the stand to explain why they allowed the capacity The Station had - or how it passed inspection in the first place.
    That's why the families are going after the concert promoters, like Budweiser. Follow the money trail.
    I too am torn about how best those individuals should be punished. Biechle may be an idiot for doing what he did, but it's not like he said "Gee I hope the building catches fire and 100 people die." And the Derderians... as club owners they have a responsibility to provide a safe environment, but how do you know your club is safe..? Well, you have professional inspectors to look the place over. A fire inspection involves a public servant and costs a sizeable fee. And if he says it's all OK, you just go with that, don't you...?

If everyone acted in good faith, I am more willing to support leniency. I just sometimes wonder if there may have been a little "greasing the skids" with regards to the inspections... I guess only the good Lord knows that, and He will judge accordingly...
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I do not think they acted in good faith, one of the statements in the press this AM indicated Jeff had someone go back in for the money box, I think they were driven by greed, and although they did not intend to hurt someone it happened and something should have happened more than this.
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

What bothered me most about the fire was that Pawtucket and Central Falls and somewhat Providence Rhode Island were implementing strict fired codes 20 years before the fire.

Back in the early 80's Fire Chief's/inspectors were making commercial establisments remove things like rugs on the sides of the bar, fire retardent paint, the 2x sheet rock on walls and 2x sheet rock or fire retardent tiles for ceilings.

Very strict on exit signs being lit, entrances and exits being open and available. The establishments would be spot checked at night when they were open for that and capacity violations.

If that fire happened (it wouldn't have) in these communities not 1 person would have perished. I say it wouldn't have because those curtains and the foam would have been ordered removed back in the 80's.

These are the things responsible fire people do other than estinguish fires and help people. They go the extra mile to insure they won't need to respond to such a tragedy. The inspector(s) in West Warwick should be on trail for the deaths of thos innocent people more than anyone. They dropped the ball on a fire code that was not properly followed.

Big assumption on my part but I said then as i say now that that place was inspected with a wink and a nod...no question in my mind. All city and town employees should be responsible if they screw up...such is not the case in West Warwick I guess.
  6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't believe everything I hear, especially when the speaker is obviously carrying a large emotional bias in the instance. Do you have a specific link or quote..? Because I would be interested in reading the exact quote.
    Then you must not know any Rhode Islanders because he could be the 5th most despised man in that state right now (behind Biechly, the Derderians and the fire inspector).
    Of course it does. Besides being a soft-on-drime bleeding heart, he's protecting his fellow Democrats in the PRRI (People's Republic of Rhode Island). There are plenty of people that would be very embarassed if this ever went to trial.
    I heard this statement too and I think you should analyze it before believe it. You're telling me someone voluntarily entered a burning building (that people literally were unable to get out of) to get a money box...? Puh-leeze.
    Everyone that has ever started a business is driven by greed. The question is were they knowingly negligent or is this just a horrible accident that could not have reasonably been foreseen by a nightclub owner who does know crap about foam sound deadening material...?

If you owned a nightclub and you hired a professional fire inspector to look the place over and he gave it the stamp of approval, would you then start making all sorts of changes or would you give him the benefit of the doubt that he is a competent professional who knows his job and is doing it well..?
  7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's why I believe the fire inspector should be held responsible moreso than any of the other individuals involved.
    I think there's a good chance that happened (and also the increase in capacity) but I can't figure out any good motive for the fire inspector to do that - unless they were maybe being bribed..? Geez, I hope that ain't true.
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I stand by my opinion of Frank Darigan, not only in my circle, but some of my friends who grew up with him in South Providence. He is a good and honorable man, I do not agree with this decision.. but he is an honest man. We grew up together in the RI legal system and although he is a big time politician, he is also a man of integrity. He may not be popular according to Qui Con's poll, but he is a good judge.
  9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Correction: In your opinion he's a good judge. Meanwhile in my opinion (and in the opinion of a solid majority of RI residents) he's a scumbag.

It's even more despicable the way he showed more anger at the victims giving their impact statements than he did the accused. Kinda reminded me of Judge Maria Lopez (another ultra-liberal) who yelled at the prosecutor while letting the trans-sexual pedophiliac get away scot-free.

BTW, I noticed you didn't give a single reference or quote that I asked you for. I remain very interested in reading about the bouncers that wouldn't let people out of a blazing inferno, but something tells me it's all just a load or crap you're making up.
  10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I don't think you can blame the fire inspector. The inspection process is obnoxious enough as it is. If your average fire inspector feels he needs to check every single product installed everywhere in the building every single time, the price of drinks in every bar/club is gonna go through the roof.

If the Derdarians pulled a permit for the sound-proofing, that's another thing. I don't know if they did or if one was even required. I do know that a reputable contractor would have been aware of what sort of materials are appropriate for this sort of task. I understand the Derdarians just hired a few stumblebums to throw the stuff up, and as a result I think the blame has to fall on them, and of course any member of that idiot band that helped to decide to light fireworks off inside of a crowded building. The WWE makes use of 'pyro' in their shows. You'd be amazed at just how much they spend to keep things safe.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I hope that you were being sarcastic.

The permit question ragarding the sound proofing foam interests me also. As for the fireworks, whatever moron lit them should be in jail. You need a special permit for that, and also have to have a fire detail present if a permit is given. But a permit would never have been granted for that place to shoot off fireworks indoors. Not a chance.
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Did not respond to the Bouncer thing, cause what can I say someone who was impacted at this fire..a participant said so on the news... there is not much of anything to add to it. I don't make up stuff like this..

Your comparison of Frank Darigan to Maria Lopez sucks, it is like comparing raisins to grapefruit. Darigan is a respected, accomplished jurist who has the respect of the legal community... while I do not agree with his decision, I think you will find that is integrity is uncompromised. He had a need to keep order in the courtroom, so he set some parameters.. if not it may have turned into a free for all.
  13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Edit: this is in response to Real World's post. GJAJ15 slipped in ahead of me.

I just put some Cork flooring into the wine-tasting room at a snooty liquor store in the Boston area. (It looks spectacular btw, I'd highly recommend it to anyone of means because its expensive as all get out.) Now I know the stuff I installed meets all the fire codes everywhere; but only because I know the company that made it. Lets say 10 years from now the store chooses to have somebody replace the floor with a similar looking product that doesn't meet the codes. Fyi Cork comes off the tree about as flammable as a gas-soaked rag. The manufacturer who turns it into a floor product has to treat it to make it safe. That treatment doesn't change the look at all. How's a fire inspector who pops in a few times per year supposed to notice?

Same thing with the walls at the Station. I'm sure they were white before the insulation went up and white after. what if the insulation was inside the walls? What if it was simply a matter of the glue used to adhere the insulation being the culprit? There's got to be at least a million things you could do to a building that the inspector has no chance at spotting at all.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

He's supposed to notice because the property owner would have had to have pulled a permit to remodel the office. Furthermore, if it were commercial property, and a new tenant was outfitting the leased property to fit his business's needs, a permit would most deffinately be involved. When he goes to city hall, the inspector will ask what is being done, and determine what permits would be required. As the work is being completed, inspectors would have to sign the back of the permit as an indication of a passed inspection. This is especially true with commercial property. For example, we remodelled our office 2 years ago. The work required us to obtain a permit which had to be pulled by a "licensed general contractor" which my father is. Everything had to be done to code, including using fire rated glass in the side lights of the doors we installed. We had to provide documentation from the installer that it was indeed fire rated glass in order to get the needed city signatures. Had we not gotten the permits, remodelled the office on our own, and later had a fire in which people lost their lives, then we would be responsible. By obtaining the proper permits, we now have legal documentation that shows our building is proper and up to code.
  15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I can see now you argue just for the sake of arguing. I specifically said that if a permit was pulled for putting up the insulation then the inspector should be nailed for not noticing it wasn't the right kind.

I just think its silly for an inspector who's there to check for fire extinguishers and emergency lighting to be blamed because he didn't notice a wall being a little newer looking than when he last came by.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing. The whole point was regarding the foam insulation & a permit. If the owners put it in and hid it without aquiring the necessary permits, then sure, hard to blame the inspector. You implied by your floor example that because it looked the same, the inspector wouldn't notice. My point is that when you pull a permit, it's the inspectors job to notice.