Welcome to PatsFans.com

Thoughts on the game and a good, long look at this team...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by KontradictioN, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +15 / 2 / -0

These two teams are playing completely different style of D. I don't think it's fair or accurate to suppose one's talent over another.

2. chillinvillin

chillinvillin On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think its oubvious Brady is a bit skittish out there because of his knee. Yes, hes throwing 40+ a game, but hes throwing a majority to the short and intermediate routes. By doing so he is getting the ball out quicker and protecting his himself (most notably hes protecting his knee.) and thats what I mean about the play calling easing brady into the game..

3. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +907 / 6 / -9

I just straight up don't agree. Meriweather >>>> Smith, and Rhodes is pretty overrated. I think I'd even take Meriweather over Rhodes. No joke.

Sheppard isn't that good anymore, from what I've seen this year, Bodden is clearly better.

Jenkins is also overrated. When healthy, he's dominant, sure, but he's got crappy conditioning and can't stay healthy (not to mention keep up his performance over the span of an entire game). He didn't do anything, from what I could see, today.

I do agree that the Jets have a better scheme. I don't think they're necessarily more talented. The Patriots D has been underperforming for some time now. That's coaching, IMO.

4. Garbanza

Garbanza In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The play calls are no different than last year. Th exececution was better and the defenses weren't collapsing the pocket so quickly last year. That is the difference. I thought Faulk was fine, Morris is just the same, Taylor has good field vision and Maroney still sucks.

The Jets defense is far more aggressive than ours and the y have a shut down corner in Revis. The Patriost do not. Bodden is good - but he's not Revis good.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  5. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +191 / 1 / -3

#12 Jersey

The next few weeks become really huge for this team. We need to turn things around in a hurry because if we don't we have 1-3 staring us dead in the eye.

Brady wasn't near his '03-'04 self let alone his '07 self. The defense has been better than I thought in the first two weeks that is a good sign, because I only expect them to improve. But fact is this team revolves around Brady and he needs turn it around quick. I think he will.

6. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

Well we disagree, that much we agree on. IMO the Jets are more talented and have a better scheme. The Patriots play a pretty vanilla scheme with pretty good talent (not good, not very good and not superior).

7. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +907 / 6 / -9

Uh, the playcalling is clearly not the same. In case you hadn't noticed, McDaniels is no longer the OC. They apparently think it's still possible to run a 2007 style of offense, despite the fact that Brady is clearly not able to function at that level at this point in time.

You're one of the irrational, facts-be-damned Maroney haters, so I'm not even going to take the bait. I'll just tell you that you're wrong. If you thought Morris was fine and Maroney sucked, you just straight up cannot be helped.

8. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +907 / 6 / -9

The Pats held the Bills to ~280 and the Jets to ~250 total yards.

If that's reflective of pretty good talent (not good, not very good and not superior), I'd really like some of what you're smoking.

9. rtunstal

rtunstal Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It has been along time sense I posted, but does anybody remember when the rat first took over the D was very vanilla until, the D said let them lose, and they were really good blitzing and everything, That is why the rat was made a head coach, but Dan pee on me please sucks, he is to afraid to lose the dogs until he does this D will never be that great. It seems that BB doesn't trust him enough to let him do that.

BB needs to either take control and let pee on me please go, or this D will always be on the field, they can not stop any body on 3rd down where is this great scheming guru that we all came to love. and please do not tell me its all the new guys on D, the giants, Pittsburgh, ravens, and even the jets have brought in allot of new players and they seem to have no problem. this is BB not having any confidence in Dan, and now his new OC, he needs to put more into his D like he use to and give tom some time to get back is confidence and run the dam ball for fn sake or bring back crennal so he can concentrate on the Offense, becuse this has gone on to long.:confused::mad:

10. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

Get off it, the Bills gave that game away. Where was this vaunted D in the 2nd half against the Jets and a rookie QB? They were back peddling and missing tackles up and down the field. The defense is not that talented. The Jets WRs are among the worst in the league but when they needed to complete a pass they were wide open.

Maybe some of the young players grow into their roles but as whole the defense is severely void of any play makers. They are average, just average.

11. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +907 / 6 / -9

If they are "average," I'll expect to see them ranked in the 15-18 range. We'll see, won't we?

12. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +1,616 / 13 / -10

if brady is struggling so much...why not run the ball more with the zillion RB's we have ? something i cant understand brady throwing 47 times. maybe they wanted to score quickly and give their defense a chance to play from ahead....:confused2:

13. gmtaxi27

gmtaxi27 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +6 / 6 / -0

As bad as the Pats played I have to think the Jets had a big part of it.

I was at the game and was watching the Moss/Revis matchup closely, and it wasn't close. Revis totally shut him down. He is hands down the best corner in football, and is big reason the Jets defense is the real deal.

It did bother me to see Moss quit on quite a few plays. I am not sure if it had any affect on the plays, but it can't help.

I know you guys are putting this on Brady, and he was bad, but he didn't have many guys open today. Even when the Jets blitzed. They left the corners open, but Brady couldn't get the ball there in time.

14. PittPatriot

PittPatriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 4 / -1

#11 Jersey

I agree with you on all of this. This team is a work in progress....and I have no doubt they can run the tables even as a #6 seed if needed.
    Unfortunately, the issues we had as a dominating team in 2007 still exist today. Teams with good D-Lines give us problem with 4-5man rushes.
    We seem to get stuffed when the other team knows we will be running. The mid/late 4th Quarter stuff on 3rd and 2 is an example. The 4th and 1 sneak that Brady fumbled, recovered, but we converted due to encroachment.
    Last week I complained we couldn't get off the field on 3rd Down, but this week it seemed the Jets converted more on 2nd down (over half their 1st downs)...maybe that's an improvement. But, all things considered, these team will make its run as the season wears on and the likes of Mayo return.
    This time with the green dot will be good for Guyton's overall development.

15. bat55w

bat55w Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The defense is not great but that is not the problem with this team. Poor coaching and a skittish Brady has the whole offense out of rythm. Moss is one of the best receivers in the game, if they are playing him one on one he should dominate that player no matter how good he is. Sorry, but a piss poor game plan lost this game and poor offensive execution was the result of a poor game plan.

16. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +645 / 51 / -21

I generally agree with you comments. I'd add a few things.

A) The only reason we are not all over Brady is because he is Brady. I agree that the OL and wide receivers played plenty well enough to win.

B) I certainly expect Brady and the offense to be fine by mid-season, but we won't win it all with much better coaching on the offensive side of the ball. Palmer and Peyton took a long time to get back. Brady has simply show that he is human and he needs time, coaching and better game plans to win.

C) Baker is inconsistent, but the total TE play is fine. Sometimes Baker is hot, sometimes Watson. That's fine.

17. italia44

italia44 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

welcome back............however,your spelling and punctuation,make this a difficult read.

18. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +110 / 11 / -4

will this is as good as it gets with the D under 20 points and under 300 yerds

yes still no real passrush and still give up some big 3rd downs but its going to be like that all year long no real passrush and they will give up some big 3rd downs

with or with out mayo this D will not get any better then this

but they did play good a nuff to win

the runing game was good we just need more of it

we fond out today that brady is human and so has every team in the NFL they stoped being scared of brady and moss they fond out the O line is bad and they can throw brady off he's game by hiting him

brady will get better and the O will put up more then 9 points

but right now this is not a SB team and i dont think they will be this year they will have a hard time makeing the playoffs

19. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,841 / 10 / -8

254 yards total offense and 16 points given:

1. Excellent field position by the Jets.
    2. Recent loss of Seymour (by trade).
    3. Recent loss of Mayo (by injury).
    4. Defense still learning how to play together and adjusting to their roles.

Is this as good as it will get? I don't know for certain, but I don't think so. I'm hoping that as they get more experienced with the system and more comfortable together, as the rookies develop, and when Mayo comes back that we will see more. My biggest concern is not the players but the overly passive approach which the coaching staff seems to favor.

20. ramon

ramon Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Pats played a crappy game and still only lost by 7 on the road

while missing 3 of their 4 best players (Seymour, Mayo, Welker)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.