PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the FieldTurf

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveDemPats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Hey, is it me or has this turf also helped our team? I was one who really loved the fact that the pats played on natural surface. But now, I think that the surface (that is stable, and consistent) has really helped make the team more stable and consistent.

It is just one of many factors, but I have a feeling that the players really have enjoyed it so far.

Re: Thoughts on the field turf

...and it LOOKS so much better on TV!

I liked the natural turf in Gillete better.

Why did they change to field turf anyway?

:D

They changed to turf becuase Gillette had something going on every week; soccer, concert, ect...and they couldn't keep the grass on the field. By time football season got there, it was just painted dirt. The turf is much better, and faster.....even BB said in his WEEI interview that he builds the team different now with turf

Last edited:

I know it's totally illogical... but I hate it. I love me some muddy football, as a fan. It brings back memories of playing as a kid, and watching NFL games on my Dad's knee.

At least there's no roof, so we'll at least get some snow games. Football is meant to be played in the weather damnit.

I'm just really gonna miss me some mud games. :(

Brady loves it, he's something like 24-1 on turf. He says it's great for setting his feet to throw.

Team hasn't lost a home game since they installed it. I like it, liked the idea of it being installed too. field looks nicer, and the players seem to play better on it as well. the mud games may be gone, but I'll take a win in a clean game then a loss in a muddy one (Jets win last year came when that field was trashed). Not making excuses, but they show improvement when they play on the artificial surfaces. Just as long as they don't decide to dome the stadium. We all know that's what the Vikings did, and it completely took away their advantage

We all know that's what the Vikings did, and it completely took away their advantage

Absolutely. Worst thing that team ever did.

Brady loves it, he's something like 24-1 on turf. He says it's great for setting his feet to throw.

bingo! I love grass and would prefer that if they could keep it up. However with them using the razor every week for a different event it's either green dirt or turf...i'll take turf anytime. Watching TB almost blow out his knee last year because of the field did it for me

I liked the idea of it from the start. Last year the grass field just seemed done and there were many times where Patriots players slipped because of the field being so out of shape. This new version of field turf the Patriots have is a lot better than the old stuff, and I think the Patriots have looked visually faster since switching over.

I will miss the Pats coming off the field, bloody, muddy and victorious.

But I recall even that Patriot players said that the field was awful to play on before the turf was finally installed.

I love the new turf. I think that the amount of talent we have on the field now is accentuated by the field turf in some respects. The other thing is if i was a player, i know i'd play better knowing that i have solid footing. I wouldn't be thinking about potentially getting hurt by stepping on a "boston garden deadspot" on the field.

I remember Kraft saying that once the Fall comes, the height of the stadium made it so that the grass would not get enough sun to allow it to recover and grow.

BB is definately retooling this team for the faster surface, Welker may be the biggest addition, seeing the way he cuts, that move he put on the Chargers secondary, on the old turf, he would have slipped right down on that one.

Hey, is it me or has this turf also helped our team? I was one who really loved the fact that the pats played on natural surface. But now, I think that the surface (that is stable, and consistent) has really helped make the team more stable and consistent.

It is just one of many factors, but I have a feeling that the players really have enjoyed it so far.
As a natural grass guy that sells the stuff to keep sports fields and golf courses looking good I hated the idea. But the team really seems to play well on it (and the fact that it was a competitors customer didn't hurt). It used to be to our advantage to slow the game down and play it in the trenches, not any more.

The field was resurfaced partly because of overuse but mostly due to not taking advantage of all of the systems built in to provide an ideal growing medium. And it went above the turf manager's control.

I remember Kraft saying that once the Fall comes, the height of the stadium made it so that the grass would not get enough sun to allow it to recover and grow.
Respectfully to Mr. Kraft, untrue. The field conditions were dictated and allowed to get into the condition that it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes