PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the Cornerbacks after two games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 5th Cornerback on the Roster

The 2003 team, which wasn't that bad a unit IIRC, had three cornerbacks on the entire 53-man roster.

The secondary doesn't need to be top tier level this year--- our schedule is pretty manageable as far as opposing qbs are concerned. We play mostly "game manager" qbs during the regular season. The weeks that are going to be rough for us are likely Indy, NO, and possibly ATL.

My quick take on our secondary: Bodden has looked awesome in practice but hasn't stood out nor made blatant mistakes in preseason gms. Springs looks slower than his stated age. Butler is an impressive athlete with some ceiling for defensive back. Wheatley is Hobbs divided by 5 thousand. Meriweather is a budding star who has learned how to catch. Chung has the smarts and instinct of a very good safety. Mcgowan can sure hit. Wilhite is a keeper on the roster by default

This is a good perspective, there are a lot new faces on the defense and it may take some time for everyone to hit there stride.

The tackling and lack of physical play from the CBs is a little concerning. I don't know if I have ever seen a player get juked out as badly as Springs did against the Bengals. But it is early, lets wait and see. I don't see any pro-bowlers at CB but overall the depth looks ok. The Safety play should be improved which will help.

Wheat thoughts...

1. Wheaties was a 2nd round pick, Deus has documented the fact that BB is patient with these picks, q.v. the useless Chad Jackson lasted into his 3rd camp.

2. One way a high pick exits early would be serious attitude issues such as lack of cooperation with the coaching staff. Haven't heard that here. Were that so there's a chance that Reiss, SMY, someone would get wind and report it.

3. It's only 2 preseason games, let's go for 4 before deciding to cut the 2008 2nd round pick

4. Other players at the same position can get injured in the next weeks, making a team more 'desperate' for a body who has some clue about the complex defensive system used

5. As others have mentioned, BB likely put the kid out on an island alone vs the taller Henry. Kid flunked the test. This does not automatically give him an F for the year, see item #3

I'll be interested to see what Wheatley does on ST this week. He's looking pretty convincingly like the 5th CB. He's damn fast though and has some experience in the return game. I'd like to see them give him a try-out in Slater's spot as a KO return man/gunner. He's going to make the team, and that would a good way to contribute.

Wheatley and Crable will be here for the 2010 camp. As you said, bb has patience with high draft choices, especially ones that have been injured. There is always room for a couple of inactive developmental players on the roster, especially highly drafted ones (yes, it does matter).

Wheat thoughts...

1. Wheaties was a 2nd round pick, Deus has documented the fact that BB is patient with these picks, q.v. the useless Chad Jackson lasted into his 3rd camp.

2. One way a high pick exits early would be serious attitude issues such as lack of cooperation with the coaching staff. Haven't heard that here. Were that so there's a chance that Reiss, SMY, someone would get wind and report it.

3. It's only 2 preseason games, let's go for 4 before deciding to cut the 2008 2nd round pick

4. Other players at the same position can get injured in the next weeks, making a team more 'desperate' for a body who has some clue about the complex defensive system used

5. As others have mentioned, BB likely put the kid out on an island alone vs the taller Henry. Kid flunked the test. This does not automatically give him an F for the year, see item #3

I haven't seen any of training camp or pre-season games b/c I live in NY but if Springs is looking his age you think there is any chance they cut him loose and take a look at a guy like Chris McAlister?
I read he's been working out and could be ready to shop his services in a week or so. He's two years younger than Springs and he's 6'1" so he can press WR's at the line. On Baltimore, he always came up with big picks and was a ballhawk having a great nose for the ball.
I think he's still got some gas left in the tank even though he fell out of favor with Harbaugh last year. Even if he's lost a little in the legs I would think he can make up for that with his smarts.

I don't know if I have ever seen a player get juked out as badly as Springs did against the Bengals.

How about the guy when Welker did that ridiculous backwards juke in 2007? :D

No, but how come all of the other corners didn't look terrible in one quarter and Wheatley did? He seems to be the weak link SO FAR...but who knows...

Because he had a bad quarter and the other guys didnt? Maybe he didn't have his wheaties that morning. Who the hell knows.

Wheatley was a 2nd round pick, and was hurt most of last year. The second round pick part means he has a ton of upside. The fact that he was hurt means hes way behind in his development. Thats fine.

This board is ridiculous. The fact that a guy isn't a probowler as a rookie doesn't mean hes a scrub.

How about the guy when Welker did that ridiculous backwards juke in 2007? :D

Game 2 against the Chargers, if I remember correctly.

That was insane.

The secondary doesn't need to be top tier level this year--- our schedule is pretty manageable as far as opposing qbs are concerned. We play mostly "game manager" qbs during the regular season. The weeks that are going to be rough for us are likely Indy, NO, and possibly ATL.

My quick take on our secondary: Bodden has looked awesome in practice but hasn't stood out nor made blatant mistakes in preseason gms. Springs looks slower than his stated age. Butler is an impressive athlete with some ceiling for defensive back. Wheatley is Hobbs divided by 5 thousand. Meriweather is a budding star who has learned how to catch. Chung has the smarts and instinct of a very good safety. Mcgowan can sure hit. Wilhite is a keeper on the roster by default

Some good comments. On Bodden, does it seem to anybody else like the Eagles & Bengals just didn't throw in his direction? Sometimes being "invisible" is a compliment to a CB. As for Wilhite...you say he'll make the roster "by default"? That makes it sound like he's at the very end of the depth chart, is that what you meant? Because I have him as a presumptive starter.

I agree that Bodden and Wilhite are the presumptive starters, with Springs and Butler sharing nickel and dime back duties. I expect Wheatley to be inactive unless there is an injury.

Some good comments. On Bodden, does it seem to anybody else like the Eagles & Bengals just didn't throw in his direction? Sometimes being "invisible" is a compliment to a CB. As for Wilhite...you say he'll make the roster "by default"? That makes it sound like he's at the very end of the depth chart, is that what you meant? Because I have him as a presumptive starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes