PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the Cornerbacks after two games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll ask what I've already asked you (possibly on another thread):

Kindly list all the Patriots' second round draft picks that BB has cut either prior to or during their second season with the team.

Boy, you sure do like to think in a vacuum, don't you.

Just ignore the fact that the DB corps was a lot thinner last season than this season, and that they picked up five DBs and got a sixth back from injury. Ignore the fact that Wheatley's coming off an injury. Ignore the fact that he got abused heavily the other night. Ignore the fact that the rest of the DBs look a great deal better.

No, Belichick will keep him 'cause he was a second-round pick. Okay.

Boy, you sure do like to think in a vacuum, don't you.

Just ignore the fact that the DB corps was a lot thinner last season than this season, and that they picked up five DBs and got a sixth back from injury. Ignore the fact that Wheatley's coming off an injury. Ignore the fact that he got abused heavily the other night. Ignore the fact that the rest of the DBs look a great deal better.

No, Belichick will keep him 'cause he was a second-round pick. Okay.

As I noted in that other thread, the answer is zero.

Klemm: 2000-2004
Light: 2000-present
Branch: 2002-2005
Wilson: 2003-2007
Johnson: 2003-2005
Hill: Died as a Patriot
Jackson: 2006-2007

Only Jackson was let go after as few as 2 seasons, and no second rounder has ever had a shorter stay with the team.

That's not a vacuum.

And nobody said Wheatley should get cut or was the second coming of Deltha O'Neal before you said they did.

Come off it.

It might not have been said in this actual thread but it has definitely been said recently.

People think Wheatley is under serious threat of being cut.

Not sure why it's "hilarious" or shows a lack of self-control or being "spoilt children". The DB corps wasn't nearly as deep last season; they've added Springs, Bodden, Butler, Sanders, McGowan, and Tank Williams is back. It's not like they NEED Wheatley. He's coming off injury, and has looked bad. "Showing nice glimpses as a nickel back" (pre-injury) doesn't mean he's a lock, does it?

If you seriously think that Tank Williams (LBer/Safety) or McGowan (who is a safety) are serious threats to a recent 2nd round pick you are delusional.

You want to argue semantics and say that its not impossible as long as there is a 0.1% chance of it happening, then fine.

Williams and McGowan don't even play the same position, ferchrissakes.

Last edited:
As I noted in that other thread, the answer is zero.

Klemm: 2000-2004
Light: 2000-present
Branch: 2002-2005
Wilson: 2003-2007
Johnson: 2003-2005
Hill: Died as a Patriot
Jackson: 2006-2007

Only Jackson was let go after as few as 2 seasons, and no second rounder has ever had a shorter stay with the team.

That's not a vacuum.

If you seriously think that Tank Williams (LBer/Safety) or McGowan (who is a safety) are serious threats to a recent 2nd round pick you are delusional.

You want to argue semantics and say that its not impossible as long as there is a 0.1% chance of it happening, then fine.

Williams and McGowan don't even play the same position, ferchrissakes.

Jesus H. on a raft, what is it with you two and the fact that these guys are high-round picks? If Belichick honestly ever thought, "Gee, this guy's not playing as well as that guy, but this guy is a second-round pick, I gotta keep him," I hope that's the day he retires. If Tank Williams or McGowan make plays, I seriously hope they ARE threats to Wheatley.

As for them not playing the same position, we're not talking about the starting four, we're talking about guys who are probably gonna be the sixth defensive back in, if that. IMO the corner locks are Springs, Bodden, Wilhite, and Butler. At safety you've got Meriweather, Sanders, and Chung. The way Wheatley's playing, all seven of those guys might see the field before he does. Why is it a stretch of imagination to think that Wheatley is playing his way down into the pool with McGowan, Tank, Ventrone, and the other guys in terms of "guys who need to contribute in other areas to make the team"?

I don't think Wheatley lasts much longer with the team. In fact, I think it's Duane Starks reincarnated.

Jesus H. on a raft, what is it with you two and the fact that these guys are high-round picks? If Belichick honestly ever thought, "Gee, this guy's not playing as well as that guy, but this guy is a second-round pick, I gotta keep him," I hope that's the day he retires. If Tank Williams or McGowan make plays, I seriously hope they ARE threats to Wheatley.

As for them not playing the same position, we're not talking about the starting four, we're talking about guys who are probably gonna be the sixth defensive back in, if that. IMO the corner locks are Springs, Bodden, Wilhite, and Butler. At safety you've got Meriweather, Sanders, and Chung. The way Wheatley's playing, all seven of those guys might see the field before he does. Why is it a stretch of imagination to think that Wheatley is playing his way down into the pool with McGowan, Tank, Ventrone, and the other guys in terms of "guys who need to contribute in other areas to make the team"?

I fail to see the point of listing a whole bunch of safeties and safety/LBer hybrids when the player under discussion is a cornerback.

That is why it is a stetch, along with the documented evidence of BB not cutting any of his previous 2nd round picks.

Bodden: Incomplete
It sounds like he's done well at camp but he hasn't really shown up in the games. Or I should say we haven't heard his name much which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Expectation: Starter

Wilhite: Incomplete
It sounds like he's turned the corner from a solid rookie season but its still too early to tell.
Expectation: Starter

Springs: Incomplete
Has spent a lot of time resting or in the training room which isn't abnormal for a veteran during a Belichick preseason.
Expectation: Part-time starter, heavy contributor

Butler: B
Most thought the majority of his PT would come one special teams this season. I wasn't expecting much from him on defense until possibly late in the year but he seems to be ahead of schedule. He appears to be significantly ahead of Wheately and deserving of significant PT early on.
Expectation: Heavy contributor on defense plus special teams

Wheately: C
I was expecting more out of him so at least at this point in time I'd say I'm a little disappointed. I'm not giving up on him though. He's probably not going to be active early on unless he carves out a role on special teams but I'm still hoping he'll be a valuable contributor by the end of the season.
Expectation: Special Teams, late-season contributor

i know a bunch of people are gunna think im stupid for saying this but i hate how people compare things that have happened in the past to things that happen now...the nfl is so unpredictable and to say because bb hasnt cut a 2nd round pick early in the past (except chad jackson) means he would never cut one now is absolutely mind blowingly stupid...but hey coaches are so predictable in this league its really easy to tell what they are gunna do next...cause we all knew bb was gunna pick patrick chung with the 34th pick right so predictable

He looked like sh*t for one quarter of a preseason game. Why do you think thats even relevant? Do you really think the front office makes personnel decisions based on one quarter of preseason football?

No, but how come all of the other corners didn't look terrible in one quarter and Wheatley did? He seems to be the weak link SO FAR...but who knows...

i know a bunch of people are gunna think im stupid for saying this but i hate how people compare things that have happened in the past to things that happen now...the nfl is so unpredictable and to say because bb hasnt cut a 2nd round pick early in the past (except chad jackson) means he would never cut one now is absolutely mind blowingly stupid...but hey coaches are so predictable in this league its really easy to tell what they are gunna do next...cause we all knew bb was gunna pick patrick chung with the 34th pick right so predictable

You were right.

A whole bunch of people are going to think you are stupid.

The secondary doesn't need to be top tier level this year--- our schedule is pretty manageable as far as opposing qbs are concerned. We play mostly "game manager" qbs during the regular season. The weeks that are going to be rough for us are likely Indy, NO, and possibly ATL.

My quick take on our secondary: Bodden has looked awesome in practice but hasn't stood out nor made blatant mistakes in preseason gms. Springs looks slower than his stated age. Butler is an impressive athlete with some ceiling for defensive back. Wheatley is Hobbs divided by 5 thousand. Meriweather is a budding star who has learned how to catch. Chung has the smarts and instinct of a very good safety. Mcgowan can sure hit. Wilhite is a keeper on the roster by default

Team history and common sense.

Gonna have to side with livinginthe past on this one... Since we don't live in a vacuum you have to also consider Wheatley's strides last season, not to mention the fact he was in generally good position on most of the plays the other night.

1 preseason game, hell, EVERY preseason game (as was evidenced last year when we were all screaming for Cassel to be cut) doesn't mean anything to anyone whose name isn't Bill Effin' Belichick.

You guys are overreacting. No player ever gets cut because of a bad performance in one game, let alone a preseason game. If Wheatley deflects a bunch of passes next week will we all pencil him in as #3?

Deus is right about the team history with high draft picks, and more importantly (I think) Wheatley looked like a solid CB last year. Given that this team ALWAYS needs depth at CB, it really doesn't make any sense to cut him.

You guys are overreacting. No player ever gets cut because of a bad performance in one game, let alone a preseason game. If Wheatley deflects a bunch of passes next week will we all pencil him in as #3?

#1 if he does it on consecutive plays or in the red zone.

cause we all knew bb was gunna pick patrick chung with the 34th pick right so predictable
I think I might be on record with that prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down