PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Tedy Bruschi

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Tedy, grinning like a pirate, launching himself over the line to get at Vinny Testaverde (vs. Jets).

2. Tedy in one of his comeback games in 2005 launching himself horizontally to bat down a pass in the end zone, to remind us what we had been missing.

3. Tedy ripping the ball from an astonished Dominic Rhodes vs. the Colts.

Great memories from my favourite Pats player ...

If Tedy hasn't retired it's because he thinks he can do it again. And who am I to question him?
Shalise Manza Young checked in the other day with some Bruschi from his book, I'm thinking folks who doubt Tedy better have some good crow recipes handy.

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/PatsBlog/archives/2007/07/never_give_up.html
Bruschi is quite honest in the book, discussing his lower-class upbringing in California, his fears and confusion after the stroke, the sadness at not being able to hold and play with his boys in the weeks after the stroke, how it stung when one younger teammate said he thought Bruschi was coming back for the paycheck, and the extended fight he and Heidi had over his returning to the football field. Heidi needed quite a bit of convincing from as many doctors as possible.

He shares letters from fans, and how other stroke survivors became one of his major inspirations for his return.

One of the things that we thought was funny was in Bruschi's re-telling of January's AFC divisional playoff game against the Chargers in San Diego. According to the co-captain, quarterback Philip Rivers -- the one that screamed that Ellis Hobbs was "sorry" after the game -- was one of the players talking the most during it.

Bruschi is already revered around these parts, and this book will likely make him more of a hero than he already is. The book is released on Aug. 17.
I can't wait to read about Philip "whiney biatch" Rivers...

I think we can all agree Tedy is aging slowly as seen a bit in his play, I still think he can be a factor in helping to slow the running game because he has always been a good tackler but don't think he will be able to keep up in terms of speed with some of the leagues premier TEs or quick short out passes anymore like he used to.

As long as the three big fellas up front do their job, Tedy will be as effective as ever, whether playing the run or dropping into the pass zone.

Will he be able to chase down receivers after the catch? Maybe not as well as in the past. But I don't think that's what you look for in an inside linebacker. As long as his instincts, aggression, and fearlessness are still good, he'll be fine. He's 1/11th of a unit after all.

1. Tedy, grinning like a pirate, launching himself over the line to get at Vinny Testaverde (vs. Jets).

2. Tedy in one of his comeback games in 2005 launching himself horizontally to bat down a pass in the end zone, to remind us what we had been missing.

3. Tedy ripping the ball from an astonished Dominic Rhodes vs. the Colts.

Great memories from my favourite Pats player ...

If Tedy hasn't retired it's because he thinks he can do it again. And who am I to question him?

INT touchdowns vs. Philly and especially Miami in 2003!

Last edited:
I think Tedy is going to have to share PT in 2007. He's run down and nearing the end of a spectacular career. I can't wait to see him and about 5 other guys go out as super bowl champions in February 2008.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see him and about 5 other guys go out as super bowl champions in February 2008.
Imagine all the retirees we'll have if we win the SB this year - Troy, Tedy, Rodney, Seau, Vinny - if we win it this year, the ring game will almost certainly be the last game for all of them.

According to Tedy himself, he was dissapointed with his performance last season.

Neither did I, but I attended camp and watched him play, he looked like his old self. He was big, strong fast and aggressive. I remember thinking he would have a monster season. Then he broke his wrist and when he came back, he looked smaller and slower. I really chalk it up to being unable to use one of his arms.

Wait and see...if he is healthy, I think he will be just fine.

Agreed 100% - LB's with one hand have it rough...no matter if they are rookies or 15 year vets.

Never sell Bruschi short...never, ever - this guy will have a monster year, IMHO.

Also, I am not sure he hangs 'em up after we win the Superbowl this year as many speculate.

Imagine all the retirees we'll have if we win the SB this year - Troy, Tedy, Rodney, Seau, Vinny - if we win it this year, the ring game will almost certainly be the last game for all of them.

When Tedy & Troy hang it up, #'s 54 & 80 should be retired. These two exemplify what it means to be a Patriot. Rodney too. I wish we had him during his healthy years. I'll always be grateful to these guys.

That was Pepper Johnson (I believe).

I thought it might be but wondered whether he was already coaching then.

In any case, I think he graduated from the Bill Belichick/Robert Kraft Dance Academy. ;)

When Tedy & Troy hang it up, #'s 54 & 80 should be retired. These two exemplify what it means to be a Patriot. Rodney too. I wish we had him during his healthy years. I'll always be grateful to these guys.

i don't think they'll retire those numbers. Perullo, Casale, and Hart feel that they need to be in Canton, Ohio (hall of fame) to get their number retired by the team. I even recall Mcginest's number, the year he left, being given to Seau. He's a player you'd put in the likes of Troy and Tedy. and even his name wasn't retired

Last edited:
1. I'm in the camp that says the wrist made a huge difference.
2. Tedy actually waas a great, All-Pro-candidate player for only a stretch of a few years total.
3. Some of his greatness came from surprising people with takeaways. He'll never get that entirely back, through no fault of his; the whole football world is on to him now. :)
4. Even at his best -- or when otherwise at his best but slightly nicked up -- he could get blown up on some plays. If you DO get a well-placed hat on him, he's yours. It's just that getting it is so hard ...

I think he'll play a strong majority of the snaps in non-nickel sets, plus his usual ST duties, and play well.

As for number retirements -- they can get a twofer in Stanley Morgan/Troy Brown. Even so, I don't think they'll retire #80.

#12, on the other hand, ...

As for number retirements -- they can get a twofer in Stanley Morgan/Troy Brown. Even so, I don't think they'll retire #80.

#12, on the other hand, ...

Steamer was #86, which Troy only wore for one year, I believe...

I differ with many estimates here. Teddy's game was/is instincts, quickness and slipping blocks, blitzing and INTs.

You can't slip blocks or make INTs when you are playing one handed and playing with a club for the other; alongside a newcomer and moving positions to make the newcomer more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes