PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Tedy Bruschi

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I think we can all agree Tedy is aging slowly as seen a bit in his play, I still think he can be a factor in helping to slow the running game because he has always been a good tackler but don't think he will be able to keep up in terms of speed with some of the leagues premier TEs or quick short out passes anymore like he used to.

As a Patriots fan BUT a realistic point of view, how do you feel Tedy will be as a factor in this defense already short on LB depth?

Will he be:

A) A big factor

B) Kind of a decent LB still but nothing near as he was in his early years

C) A non factor and not matter much into our Defensive performance other than to make some good plays every so often?

Personally I think he will be a bit slower than in years past as can be expected but think he means as much as he ever did, especially when we need good LB play and he will do well.

Adding Adalius Thomas is not only an upgrade because of his talent, but because he take some pressure of Bruschi and Vrable. These guys were forced into the position of doing different things the last couple seasons to make up for weakness in the defense. With Thomas there they can focus more on doing the things they do best.

Granted, Tedy isn't getting any younger, but the presence of Thomas can have a rejuvinating effect on his game. I expect him to be taking on blockers less and running to the ball more, and we will see more of the Tedy of '03-'04 than the Tedy of last year.

I think the wrist injury had an impact as well. When he had Seau next to him, he looked okay. With Seau and Thomas, maybe Bruschi gets to rotate out a bit and won't get quite as worn down.

Breer said on weei this week that Bruschi will go back to his normal weakside LB role and Thomas will play the bulk of strongside LB, like Johnson used to.

This allows Bruschi AND Vrabel to play at their more comfortable positions. Thomas can also bring a pass rush element from the middle, while also lining up outside and on the line.

With the flexibility in the front 7, and the flexibility that Merriweather brings to the secondary, this D should be exciting, and even better than last year.

I think that his wisdom, gamesense and overall knowledge of the game will help compensate for his slowing down and diminishing of skills.. not to worry if he can't keep up he will know it.

I think the wrist injury had an impact as well. When he had Seau next to him, he looked okay. With Seau and Thomas, maybe Bruschi gets to rotate out a bit and won't get quite as worn down.

I think the wrist injury was huge. He was looking like his old self in Training Camp last year (IMO) and appeared to be back to form.

After the wrist injury, he looked smaller and weaker (I'm sure it limited and weight training) and he wasn't as physical.

I would not be shocked if he stays healthy and plays up to his previous standards.

I think that his wisdom, gamesense and overall knowledge of the game will help compensate for his slowing down and diminishing of skills.. not to worry if he can't keep up he will know it.

I have to agree here. First of all I do not think he is slowing down as much as people like to think. I think many will be happily surprised at his performance this year. Secondly, in the past, a lot of Bruschi's big plays were partly being in the right place at the right time. He knows how to read offenses and where to put himself. Above all, he is a smart player with skills.

Tedy is like "UNS UWE" (in Germany). i don`t like the calls b`c of the age.

Tedy was and is the heart and soul. i watched the Viks game this night. and the monday night "lady`s" called Tedy the man who give up the play maybe 30 sec. after the whistel, b`cause he is still talking to the enemy line / RB / FB.

TEDY and JUNIOR (when they r healthy) r the best run - stop maschine in the nfl. nuff said

greets from here

Last edited:
this is a great topic. obviously, i like bruschi as much as the next guy. however, i dont like to be the one to sound negative, but he isn't the player he once was. i see him and seau playing a similar role. i used to see him as a premier NFL LB, but i dont think he's no longer at that level. I dont want to sound disrespectful, because the man is a legend, i just feel his play is going downhill

this is a great topic. obviously, i like bruschi as much as the next guy. however, i dont like to be the one to sound negative, but he isn't the player he once was. i see him and seau playing a similar role. i used to see him as a premier NFL LB, but i dont think he's no longer at that level. I dont want to sound disrespectful, because the man is a legend, i just feel his play is going downhill

You're basing your opinion on part of a season returning from a freakin' STROKE, and then a season where he broke the worst bone possible in his wrist...LB's with broken wrists=bad.

You're basing your opinion on part of a season returning from a freakin' STROKE, and then a season where he broke the worst bone possible in his wrist...LB's with broken wrists=bad.

no, that he even played the 2005 season was heroic. the 2006 season though, i just didnt think he was at his best. yes, he was injured, but despite this, i didnt like what i saw!

no, that he even played the 2005 season was heroic. the 2006 season though, i just didnt think he was at his best. yes, he was injured, but despite this, i didnt like what i saw!

Neither did I, but I attended camp and watched him play, he looked like his old self. He was big, strong fast and aggressive. I remember thinking he would have a monster season. Then he broke his wrist and when he came back, he looked smaller and slower. I really chalk it up to being unable to use one of his arms.

Wait and see...if he is healthy, I think he will be just fine.

Last edited:
At this point in his career, Tedy is an average LB. He will not make the pro bowl. He will not make any ESPN highlight clips for performance in '07. Other team's fans will assess him as "over the hill".

Yet, there are enough fumes left in his tank and he will do what Belichick asks of him to get us another SB victory. If we were to win the SB this year, IMHO, he should retire with Troy Brown and go out on top. Don't be like Bret Farve.

Last edited:
I think the wrist injury was huge. He was looking like his old self in Training Camp last year (IMO) and appeared to be back to form.

After the wrist injury, he looked smaller and weaker (I'm sure it limited and weight training) and he wasn't as physical.

I would not be shocked if he stays healthy and plays up to his previous standards.
This post gets the Box seal of "good situational awareness." :rocker:

At this point in his career, Tedy is an average LB. He will not make the pro bowl. He will not make any ESPN highlight clips for performance in '07.

We'll see.

At this point in his career, Tedy is an average LB. He will not make the pro bowl. He will not make any ESPN highlight clips for performance in '07. Other team's fans will assess him as "over the hill".

Yet, there are enough fumes left in his tank and he will do what Belichick asks of him to get us another SB victory. If we were to win the SB this year, IMHO, he should retire with Troy Brown and go out on top. Don't be like Bret Farve.

I'm sorry to bother, but Lord Favre was mispelled.

he does seem to be showing his age a bit. He may not have the physical prowess of someone like Adalius Thomas, which is a concern when teams are running up the middle (as they should against the 3-4). But we won't hear about it during the season. He'll do fine. Especially now that a guy like Chad Brown can show him the ropes.
the position is second nature to Ted.

Last edited:
IMO the biggest thing missing from Bruschi's game is those big game changing plays he made often in many earlier years. Whether he was courageous coming back from a stroke and played with a bum wrist last year means nothing as to how he'll play this year. I hope he plays well but if he doesn't then someone else has to. It's a what are you doing for me now kinf of league.

1. Tedy, grinning like a pirate, launching himself over the line to get at Vinny Testaverde (vs. Jets).

2. Tedy in one of his comeback games in 2005 launching himself horizontally to bat down a pass in the end zone, to remind us what we had been missing.

3. Tedy ripping the ball from an astonished Dominic Rhodes vs. the Colts.

Great memories from my favourite Pats player ...

If Tedy hasn't retired it's because he thinks he can do it again. And who am I to question him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots