PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on safeties Chung, Moore and Delmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have our FS...We could use a player who develops into a top strong safety...My choice for that role has always been special team star Rashad Johnson.

Why? Johnson's no bigger than Meriweather.

Sorry, my bad. I must have deleted part of my post.

STRONG SAFETY
I favor Chung, Moore or Vaughn for the roles of strong safety. My favorite from the beginning was Moore. I switched to Chung, and now I tend back to Moore. I would be happy with any of the three.

FREE SAFETY
I would not be averse to ALSO drafting a free safety. My favorite for that role is special teams demon Rashad Johnson.

I could see us doing this if we believe that the 3rd, 4th and 5th is adequate for offensive line upgrades. Since there is no critical need for a 2009 starter/upgrade, I could see this happening. Much depends on how much of a role Belichick expects Tank Williams to take.

CONSIDER
The defense would be most improved with
23 Jackson/Gilbert/Hood
34 LB
47 Moore/Chung/Vaughn
58 Johnson
89/97/124 OL backups for two of the three

IF we go FS then I prefer Sean Smith to Rashad Johnson. Much more upside and far better physical skills, size/speed, etc.

IF we go FS then I prefer Sean Smith to Rashad Johnson. Much more upside and far better physical skills, size/speed, etc.

Well, then you have to commit to taking a FS earlier, at the expense of your OLB or SS. A guy like Sherrod Martin will give you everything you get with Smith, and looks to be around later.

Thanks, but I wouldn't consider myself top 20. What I've learned from Patchick, BOR, Mgteich, Seneschal2, Jays52 and many others puts me to shame. I just talk a lot.

You do very well cousin. You do not berate posters who do not share your opinion and treat everyone with respect. You do not talk down to people or pretend to be a know-it-all. You are very easy to follow and think out of the box.
You put a lot of work into what you do.
DW Toys

Excellent point on Johnson. I am a Delmas fan but then I panicked. Patriots Football Weekly said Delmas was [Erik Scalavino] "A clone of James Sanders." It would appear we already have one of them. I do not know who Erik S. is, but unless Delmas can cover and tackle, I do not want him.
It's like saying you can go out with a super model and she will be "very" nice to you but....oh by the way she has a few SDs.
DW Toys

How good a special teamer is Sean Smith? Do you really expect him to be available at 58 when I suggested that we might draft Johnson?

In any case, I was not stating my preference which is Wood or Unger at 47 and a strong safety at 58.

Excellent point on Johnson. I am a Delmas fan but then I panicked. Patriots Football Weekly said Delmas was [Erik Scalavino] "A clone of James Sanders." It would appear we already have one of them. I do not know who Erik S. is, but unless Delmas can cover and tackle, I do not want him.
It's like saying you can go out with a super model and she will be "very" nice to you but....oh by the way she has a few SDs.
DW Toys

But that's just the point - he can cover and tackle.

I liked Griffin then and now. We did fine with Meriweather. We have our FS. Delmas in not Ed Reed or Tony Polamalu. We could use a player who develops into a top strong safety. Some of us just don't see that in Delmas. And while Wonderlic's aren't everything, it is important on the patriots for our strong safety to call the plays, or at least be able to do so.

In the end, I hope someone picks Delmas early, so that one more player is available for us to choose from.

My choice for that role has always been special team star Rashad Johnson.

Can I throw this out there cousins? Just a thought. We have many draft choices and we have some moving parts that are sitting like David Thomas and even Maroney(don't hate on that one but he is probably third on the depth chart. Hear me out). 231 lb SS Adrian Wilson of the Cards is only 29 years old. He is experienced, a ferocious hitter and team leader which is a BB plus. He rand a 4.48 and has a 39" vertical. Aaron Francisco of the Cards has been said could start on many NFL teams and is only 25. The Cards need a RB badly and a TE (Spach was their starter!).
How does this sound: Maroney and Thomas (maybe Sanders) for Wilson and if you send Sanders, a third or forth back? Francisco could still take Wilson's spot. This solves both teams needs.

DW Toys

Can I throw this out there cousins? Just a thought. We have many draft choices and we have some moving parts that are sitting like David Thomas and even Maroney(don't hate on that one but he is probably third on the depth chart. Hear me out). 231 lb SS Adrian Wilson of the Cards is only 29 years old. He is experienced, a ferocious hitter and team leader which is a BB plus. He rand a 4.48 and has a 39" vertical. Aaron Francisco of the Cards has been said could start on many NFL teams and is only 25. The Cards need a RB badly and a TE (Spach was their starter!).
How does this sound: Maroney and Thomas (maybe Sanders) for Wilson and if you send Sanders, a third or forth back? Francisco could still take Wilson's spot. This solves both teams needs.

DW Toys

I don't see Arizona trading Wilson. I would be quite happy with getting Wilson and trying to get Donald Brown or Knowshon Moreno. I just don't see it happening. But go ahead and prove me wrong.

Sure, if we could get Wilson for Maroney and Thomas, go for it. Arizona has little reason to trade Wilson or to try to secure our #3 RB and #3 TE. It is not clear that Thomas would be an upgrade to Spach who played well for the Cards.

DW Toys

Why no OLBs, Rook?

Gladly. Sintim would be my choice.

Actually, I'm not convinced that OLB is our one glaring need. I think we're in more trouble at ILB, because I dont think Bruschi has much left, and I dont trust (yet) that Guyton is a real solution. For the rest, there's plenty of need on the roster and I just chose best value. Mack, Moore and Coffman are all players that I've seen on film making impact plays... doing things that few people can do. Making plays in game situation. So, it's as much that I like these guys in particular, and they're at positions where we could use them.

Among the early OLBs,
- Cushing is off my board... I actually buy the 'roid rumors. If he's not using them now, he did.
- Matthews... maybe.
- Barwin... not at 23 and I'd rather have Moore at 34. But I would take him there if it came to it. Frankly, I'm more interested in drafting him as a TE than as an OLB.
- English... maybe. Need to watch more film to build a stronger opinion.

I don't see Arizona trading Wilson. I would be quite happy with getting Wilson and trying to get Donald Brown or Knowshon Moreno. I just don't see it happening. But go ahead and prove me wrong.

Whats their phone # in AZ?
DW Toys

DW Toys

BB would like to get Ed Reed too but that ain't gonna happen. Come on now. Why would the Cards send a valuable starting safety from their superbowl team for a bunch of spare parts and a mid round pick?

Well, then you have to commit to taking a FS earlier, at the expense of your OLB or SS. A guy like Sherrod Martin will give you everything you get with Smith, and looks to be around later.

I agree. I also like Rashad Johnson & esp. Sean Smith, but I don't want to use any of my top-100 picks on a pure FS. Well, maybe Smith - if the FO is convinced that he can cover big WRs, esp. in the RZ.

As long as all my targets have been hit with my first 6 picks, then I will be willing to target a FS in the 4th round & beyond.

Gladly. Sintim would be my choice.

Actually, I'm not convinced that OLB is our one glaring need.
Well, we cert. have the quantity at OLB: Adalius, TBC, Crable, Woods, Redd, Craig (& poss. Jason Taylor?). The big, big question is: does the FO think that we have the quality?

I think we're in more trouble at ILB, because I dont think Bruschi has much left,
I don't think he does, either. But if Bill is comfortable w/ the rest of the current OLBs, then Adalius can return to SILB.

and I dont trust (yet) that Guyton is a real solution.
Not at SILB, anyway. He's more of a WILB & STer.

For the rest, there's plenty of need on the roster and I just chose best value. Mack, Moore and Coffman are all players that I've seen on film making impact plays... doing things that few people can do. Making plays in game situation. So, it's as much that I like these guys in particular, and they're at positions where we could use them.

Among the early OLBs,
- Cushing is off my board... I actually buy the 'roid rumors. If he's not using them now, he did.
- Matthews... maybe.
- Barwin... not at 23 and I'd rather have Moore at 34. But I would take him there if it came to it. Frankly, I'm more interested in drafting him as a TE than as an OLB.
- English... maybe. Need to watch more film to build a stronger opinion.

I smell what you're cooking re: the possibility of not drafting an OLB on the first day. Should that indeed happen, then we should expect Shawn Crable to have a much bigger role than the role he had last year, which was: none at all.

Just for the record, I posted this opinion *before* news of the drug test at the combine leaked and everyone piled on. I was expecting a lot of outrage and accusations of rumor mongering. Instead, it just looks like riding the bandwagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots