PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Rex Ryan to the Rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for Ryan, I think he is a good defensive coordinator. But so was Marvin Lewis. He was a defensive genius when he was with the Ravens and now he is clueless. Ryan may not end up like Lewis, but the Ravens are an immensly talented defense with at least two future HOFers. It could be the players over the coaching. I guess we will see in the next few years.

Again, how do they restructure? Take a pay cut? How often does that happen? Especially after Tannenbaum is perceived to have screwed over players in the past who took paycuts. You cannot restructure like you did in the past.

I don't know about the cap hits and salaries of Jets players. So I can't speak to them and their cap hits.

PLease educate me on these multiple players we screwed over. I know that Rhodes cap number is high can be reworked. I dont pretend to be an cap expert but I also heard Brandon Moore's bonus can be changed to count less on the cap, or so I have heard:confused:

PLease educate me on these multiple players we screwed over. I know that Rhodes cap number is high can be reworked. I dont pretend to be an cap expert but I also heard Brandon Moore's bonus can be changed to count less on the cap, or so I have heard:confused:

There was Pete Kendall. Then Coles complained about Tannenbaum lying to him about a pay increase which led to a public feud and the Jets backing down and making his entire contract guaranteed. Followed by Baker claiming he was lied to also.

Again, Rhodes' cap number is high, but how do they reduce it with the new rules? I did find the site below. It appears there is nothing they can do unless Rhodes is willing to give up part of his roster bonus which is doubtful. The reason his cap number is so high is because he has a $9 million roster bonus. If this was any other year, that bonus would be spread out evenly over the life of his contract (something the Jets were counting on when they signed Rhodes), but now the entire thing is recognized this year.

BTW, according to this site, the Jets are over $16 million over the projected cap, not $6 million. If it is true, the Jets will have to do more than cut Favre to get under it. Maybe Miguel knows these guys and can vouche how accurate they usually are or aren't.

New York Jets Salary Cap

Last edited:
There was Pete Kendall. Then Coles complained about Tannenbaum lying to him about a pay increase which led to a public feud and the Jets backing down and making his entire contract guaranteed. Followed by Baker claiming he was lied to also.

Again, Rhodes' cap number is high, but how do they reduce it with the new rules? I did find the site below. It appears there is nothing they can do unless Rhodes is willing to give up part of his roster bonus which is doubtful. The reason his cap number is so high is because he has a $9 million roster bonus. If this was any other year, that bonus would be spread out evenly over the life of his contract (something the Jets were counting on when they signed Rhodes), but now the entire thing is recognized this year.

BTW, according to this site, the Jets are over $16 million over the projected cap, not $6 million. If it is true, the Jets will have to do more than cut Favre to get under it. Maybe Miguel knows these guys and can vouche how accurate they usually are or aren't.

New York Jets Salary Cap

Pete Kendall asked for a pay raise around the combine in 06, Tannenbaum said his demands were acceptable but it was Mangini who was stuborn and did not want to give into his demands. You can check that one if you would like b/c I was there for the whole fiasco. Coles said he was lead to believe that the Jets would give him an extension which the Jets would be ******ed to do, instead they guaranteed his salary this year as well as last year. Baker I do not remember accurately so I will pass

edit: you are right on Baker

Last edited:
Pete Kendall asked for a pay raise around the combine in 06, Tannenbaum said his demands were acceptable but it was Mangini who was stuborn and did not want to give into his demands. You can check that one if you would like b/c I was there for the whole fiasco. Coles said he was lead to believe that the Jets would give him an extension which the Jets would be ******ed to do, instead they guaranteed his salary this year as well as last year. Baker I do not remember accurately so I will pass

edit: you are right on Baker

If I remember correctly, Kendall took a paycut ($1 million) and was promised the money back if he performed. He did and the Jets renegged. Since Tannenbaum is the GM and cap guy, I don't know how Mangini overruled him. Mangini acted like an arse towards Kendall by putting him in the rookie dorm and making him play out of position with the third and fourth stringers in a preseason game, but I don't remember him being the one who vetoed the pay increase.

If I remember correctly, Kendall took a paycut ($1 million) and was promised the money back if he performed. He did and the Jets renegged. Since Tannenbaum is the GM and cap guy, I don't know how Mangini overruled him. Mangini acted like an arse towards Kendall by putting him in the rookie dorm and making him play out of position with the third and fourth stringers in a preseason game, but I don't remember him being the one who vetoed the pay increase.

If the coach doesnt want something done I dont think it would be in the best interest for the GM to do it anyway. It was Kendall himself who said Tannenbaum was on board with the idea. yes mangini was a total a##hole towards Kendall

Actually, while I love me some JESTenfreude, I'm fairly sure the restrictions on roster bonuses only apply to new contracts (including renegotiations), but not existing ones.

Actually, while I love me some JESTenfreude, I'm fairly sure the restrictions on roster bonuses only apply to new contracts (including renegotiations), but not existing ones.

No I am pretty sure it is every one not just deals signed this year. How else could Rhodes count over $10 million towards the cap when his base salary is $750k and prorated bonus is $666k? The only way it could count is if his roster bonus of $9 million was not prorated.

Everywhere I have read, it said all roster bonuses and NLTBE bonuses cannot be pushed into later years. Why would there be a rule for roster bonuses when any bonus this year on a new deal written this offseason would be a signing bonus?

I am very impressed with Ryan as a coach, but yet I still think it's a good thing that he's headed to the Jets. I think it will be good for the Patriots to play against his type of pressure defense twice a year...it will lessen the chances of any "suprises" from other teams when the playoffs come around.

I don't see the Jets as a threat to win the division, but then again nobody saw Miami winning the division this year.

Like P.T. Barnum said "There's a sucker born every day" The Jets are a bottomless pit that swallows draft picks, coaches, money, and fans dreams.

Last edited:
Tubby Wrecks is a one-trick pony who isn't going to surprise anybody and will make plenty of bonehead gameday decisions a la Herm and Tubby Ratfink. We got a preview when he usurped Billick's authority to call that ill-fated timeout in Baltimore last year right before Brady was stacked up at the line of scrimmage on fourth down. T.W. is going to look ridiculous in green, like a giant avocado with legs.

I'd feel sorry for fans of the New Jersey Green Beans if the team wasn't such a bountiful source of madcap hilarity. But the entire franchise and everything/everyone around it also has deliberately earned more than its share of disdain, so you can't pity them like you would Buffalo. As BB says, "It's always good to beat the Jets."

As long as Favre retires that gets us about 6 mil under the cap plus there are several players who will be cut. Factor that in with a couple contract re works and our cap is fine

That's always rationalized as Addition by Subtraction.

But in reality it is just pure Subtraction. Ignorant Jesters couldn't forsee this when they imported a 40 year old, and simply cut their starting QB?

A great position for a Team that finished 3rd in a 4 team division by a gift, thanks to the Bill's Loserman. Lookout Below...

Tubby Wrecks is a one-trick pony who isn't going to surprise anybody and will make plenty of bonehead gameday decisions a la Herm and Tubby Ratfink. We got a preview when he usurped Billick's authority to call that ill-fated timeout in Baltimore last year right before Brady was stacked up at the line of scrimmage on fourth down. T.W. is going to look ridiculous in green, like a giant avocado with legs.

I'd feel sorry for fans of the New Jersey Green Beans if the team wasn't such a bountiful source of madcap hilarity. But the entire franchise and everything/everyone around it also has deliberately earned more than its share of disdain, so you can't pity them like you would Buffalo. As BB says, "It's always good to beat the Jets."
So you hate fat people? Sorry we all cant have six packs like you
That's always rationalized as Addition by Subtraction.

But in reality it is just pure Subtraction. Ignorant Jesters couldn't forsee this when they imported a 40 year old, and simply cut their starting QB?

A great position for a Team that finished 3rd in a 4 team division by a gift, thanks to the Bill's Loserman. Lookout Below...

They did forsee this day coming, anyone with a clue could. In the best interest of the franchise the Jets need Favre to retire. We werent ever going to win anything w/ pennington and neither will the dolphins or any other franchise. At the time they got favre they at least had a chance if they could make the playoffs.

Last edited:
So you hate fat people? Sorry we all cant have six packs like you

Don't be silly. Where did I say I hated fat people? All I said was that Tubby Wrecks will look like a giant avocado in a Green Beans shirt. I welcome the humor in keeping with the New Jersey team's grand tradition. Nothing to hate about that. :singing:

As for Ryan, I think he is a good defensive coordinator. But so was Marvin Lewis. He was a defensive genius when he was with the Ravens and now he is clueless. Ryan may not end up like Lewis, but the Ravens are an immensly talented defense with at least two future HOFers. It could be the players over the coaching. I guess we will see in the next few years.

Interesting that you say this, yet seem to think McDaniels is God. You will see in the next 4 years that McDaniels is nothing but a GenX Norv Turner, a coach who got lucky coaching once in a lifetime talent in multiple positions.

He has to be better than Mangini right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey