PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Ras I Dowling

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
It's becoming obvious that Dowling is going to have to play a big part next year if we want the secondary to improve. What's everyone's thoughts on him? Obviously he got injured after the third game of the season and could not contribute. He's had injuries throughout his playing career, in HS and college. I thought the pats lost their most physical corner when he went down.

a lot of weight to carry on those shoulders.

Lets hope he stays healthy

He does have the talent

Last edited:
Dowling managed to look good as a day-1 rookie starter despite having no offseason and almost no camp reps. IMO it's all about him staying healthy -- he has all the tools, mental and physical.

Well he didn't play much due to injury when he played in the reg season game he looked very good considerng the lack of reps in camp and no off season prep. I hope he will a major part of the rotation as a DB next year.

Two big questions for next year: 1) Will Brian Waters play and as well. 2) Will Dowling get injured again, which also plagued him in college, causing him to drop down draft boards.

He has a burden to overcome. I've heard some refer to him as Glass IR Dowling. I hope that's unfair. He's got an unbelievable blend of size, speed, and character.

But if he can't make it to the field it's all for naught.

Definitely has the skills to be a massive influence on the secondary if he can stay healthy.

But I'm not too confident that he's likely to remain healthy for very long unfortunately.

Two big questions for next year: 1) Will Brian Waters play and as well. 2) Will Dowling get injured again, which also plagued him in college, causing him to drop down draft boards.

He has a burden to overcome. I've heard some refer to him as Glass IR Dowling. I hope that's unfair. He's got an unbelievable blend of size, speed, and character.

But if he can't make it to the field it's all for naught.

Ah, the mythical injury plagued college career of Ras-I Dowling. A guy before his last year missed one or two games due to injury is now injury plagued. The fact of the matter was his final season in college was injury plagued, but not his entire career.

I watched him play for 4 years as a UVA season ticket holder in Charlottesville. He was their best (after Chris Long left) and most popular player. Until his lost 4th year due to injury (and his rookie pro season), he was durable and effective. He is your Belichick type high character guy. He did well defending those stud Larry Fitzgerald type ACC receivers. He will be able to play some safety. Unless he can't return to his former level of durability, he will be a terrific pro.

UVA has another Belichick special who is likely to be gone but, if not, will be a tremendous value in the 5th round. Chase (Baby Frank) Minnifield has the performance, productivity and pedigree Belichick loves. He was a 4 year starter at corner, UVA's captain and best player in this last unexpected Bowl ending season. He made game changing plays.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for big things, but I also thought we had a really solid/deep secondary last year.....before they cut/lost Merriweather, Sanders, Bodden, McGowan, and the disappearance of 2010 McCourty. Hopefully, the pass-rush is much improved this season and helps the secondary out.

It doesn't really matter what I think about Dowling. But yesterday pretty much showed you want BILL thinks about him. The way the draft had played out, it is clear as a bell that BB LOVES his current CBs. He clearly must think that getting a healthy Dowling back, plus a healthy Chung and the other additions to the secondary (mainly Barrett, Gregory and Wilson), the Pats can go from being one of the worst pass defenses in the league to......something better.

Dowling needs to stay healthy and play well. McCourty needs to return to 2010 form. Arrington needs to thrive in the slot or as the CB4. Allen needs to still have something in the tank.

If all of that happens, this team's defense should be much improved in 2012, regardless of what happens at safety.

Glassy is a bust until he proves otherwise. Sad, because the talent is clearly there.

I loved what I saw from in his limited time. If he stays healthy, he'll be really good.

Glassy is a bust until he proves otherwise. Sad, because the talent is clearly there.

Stupid post. Every player is a bust until they prove otherwise, because not a single one has done a thing in the NFL yet. No exceptions. No reason to single out Ras-I.

Last edited:
I watched him play for 4 years as a UVA season ticket holder in Charlottesville. He was their best (after Chris Long left) and most popular player. Until his lost 4th year due to injury (and his rookie pro season), he was durable and effective. He is your Belichick type high character guy. He did well defending those stud Larry Fitzgerald type ACC receivers. He will be able to play some safety. Unless he can't return to his former level of durability, he will be a terrific pro.

UVA has another Belichick special who is likely to be gone but, if not, will be a tremendous value in the 5th round. Chase (Baby Frank) Minnifield has the performance, productivity and pedigree Belichick loves. He was a 4 year starter at corner, UVA's captain and best player in this last unexpected Bowl ending season. He made game changing plays.

Following up on my own recommendation for the 5th round, Chase Minnifield, because of his surgery that caused him to miss his team's only bowl game during his career, could be this year's version of Marcus Cannon as a high character 2d round talent who dropped because of a college career ending injury:

Chase Minnifield, Virginia, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

While there might be a howl if the Patriots use their last pick (if they keep it) today on another injured UVA DB, this might be the kind of gamble a winning organization can afford to take.

UVA DE Cam Johnson is another slider who is healed from previous injuries. There are questions about whether he can be a stand up OL in the 3-4 alignment but he is another buy there who fits the BB profile.

Last edited:
Stupid post. Every player is a bust until they prove otherwise, because not a single one has done a thing in the NFL yet. No exceptions. No reason to single out Ras-I.

Glassy Darling deserves to be singled out because he is injury-prone. This is the NFL, not shuffleboard. How many games (NFL or college) has he played in the last two seasons?

If he lasts four or more games in a row without another injury, I'll start to look at him as something we should even think about counting on.

Last edited:
Glassy Darling deserves to be singled out because he is injury-prone. This is the NFL, not shuffleboard. How many games (NFL or college) has he played in the last two seasons?

If he lasts four or more games in a row without another injury, I'll start to look at him as something we should even think about counting on.
I love it when clever guys transpose a player's name to fit their argument. You know, Marcia Brady (effeminate pansy), Glassy Darling (injury-prone faker pansy), Sheli Manning (another pansy), Nancy Drew (Bledsoe or JD, take your pick), etc. It's dumb and it makes people who do it and think they're clever look like idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back