PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Ras-I Dowling and the secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One wonders if you even watched the game.

Bodden is our weak link? How often were they throwing his way?

Arrington is a weak link as a diime back and backup? Arrington may be one of the best #4 corners in the league, hardly a weak link.

I know Bodden was covering Bess and did a credible job as slot CB but it appeared he also played some Safety positioning. Maybe it was just the zone he was playing. Like three Safeties. I don't know. I thought Arrington played well. I thought for his first start at Safety, Barrett did not make many mistakes and wound up 4th team high in tackles for the might. Chung had some mistakes but was all over the field. Dowling was impressive game one but you can see he was winded until you looked at Marshall. It was like "Dude let's just not go any deeper than a five yard out on this one!". I have to agree that a lot of Henne's yards were in garbage time. Fassano had some nice catches (three?)over the middle and one outside (Guyton) which were superb and give him credit as he was covered.

Most of the receptions were on the outside, not the middle. Bess was held in check by Bodden for the most part which I think was the game plan. Keep Bess down.

LB's? I thought Fletcher played well but not on the stat sheets much. It seemed like Guyton was the one who got beat the most and a step late. Mayo was very quiet for him. Nink played DE rotation.

We might not have sacked Henne as much as we would have liked but he was hit plenty. He made some passes almost on his back. He seems mobile. Rivers this week is not. Thoughts?
DW Toys

The secondary was definitely soft at times, especially the middle.

D McC definitely didn't have a great game.

Bodden played well for a guy who was gone all last season and had little preseason action.

Ras I should inspire Patriot Nation. He really didn't look like a rookie out there. Does that mean he played all-world? No, of course not. He is still going to have to learn a lot, of course. He played well enough, though, that I don't think we'll have to worry about him too much. For all the strike-outs BB has had with drafting corners, he's done well with McC and Ras.

I really don't think the secondary will be a weakness this season. The D as a whole will get better and things will start to come together. I really believe that.

I know Bodden was covering Bess and did a credible job as slot CB but it appeared he also played some Safety positioning. Maybe it was just the zone he was playing. Like three Safeties. I don't know. I thought Arrington played well. I thought for his first start at Safety, Barrett did not make many mistakes and wound up 4th team high in tackles for the might. Chung had some mistakes but was all over the field. Dowling was impressive game one but you can see he was winded until you looked at Marshall. It was like "Dude let's just not go any deeper than a five yard out on this one!". I have to agree that a lot of Henne's yards were in garbage time. Fassano had some nice catches (three?)over the middle and one outside (Guyton) which were superb and give him credit as he was covered.

Most of the receptions were on the outside, not the middle. Bess was held in check by Bodden for the most part which I think was the game plan. Keep Bess down.

LB's? I thought Fletcher played well but not on the stat sheets much. It seemed like Guyton was the one who got beat the most and a step late. Mayo was very quiet for him. Nink played DE rotation.

We might not have sacked Henne as much as we would have liked but he was hit plenty. He made some passes almost on his back. He seems mobile. Rivers this week is not. Thoughts?
DW Toys

Much agreed on Fletcher.

He is quickly becoming one of my favorite Patriots.

Doesnt hurt that I have a fun story about him from TC last year. I had a friend with me who isnt the biggest fan but he brought his kid to check things out and the kid was able to get Fletchers autograph and he was excited despite not knowing him and at the time I told the father that while Fletcher looks to be having a good camp I doubt he makes the team as there were so many LBs ahead of him. Man I am glad I was wrong on that one.

Something to keep in mind with this secondary. If you count the nickel CB and #3 safety as "starters" (which they essentially are in BB's defense, based on number of snaps), then 4 of our 6 starters in the secondary didn't play significant snaps last year.

Chung and McCourty are the holdovers.
Bodden was hurt all last year.
Ras-I is a rookie.
Barrett was hurt all last year.
Brown played a handful of D snaps and mostly special teams last year.

This is a completely revamped secondary, and we should expect them to improve as they gel.

The secondary was definitely soft at times, especially the middle.

D McC definitely didn't have a great game.

Bodden played well for a guy who was gone all last season and had little preseason action.

Ras I should inspire Patriot Nation. He really didn't look like a rookie out there. Does that mean he played all-world? No, of course not. He is still going to have to learn a lot, of course. He played well enough, though, that I don't think we'll have to worry about him too much. For all the strike-outs BB has had with drafting corners, he's done well with McC and Ras.

I really don't think the secondary will be a weakness this season. The D as a whole will get better and things will start to come together. I really believe that.

The thing with Dowling is, he already knows the fundamentals of BB's defense, having starred under Al Groh in college. His college D coordinator gushed about how well he knew the system. That, combined with his obvious athleticism, allows him to play with more confidence than the average rookie.

No need to jump down his throat. Let's all finish our cup of coffee and try to understand the context of the post. He's saying "Heck", if Ras-I plays like this, and Mccourty plays like his usually self, our strongly regarded CB's Bodden and Arrington, might be the weak link -wink-wink- in our vastly improved secondary. Har-Har-Har. AFC, chew on that. (last part is mine)

Hmmm, now I'll go finish my coffee. Good game Pats!

One wonders if you even watched the game.

Bodden is our weak link? How often were they throwing his way?

Arrington is a weak link as a diime back and backup? Arrington may be one of the best #4 corners in the league, hardly a weak link.

Personnaly I thought they did a descent job considering the lack of pressure at times by the front 7. Was it perfect, not even close but I thought overall it was an improvement from last year. Just as I thought the pressure on the QB was an improvement from last year even if only marginally. For the 1st game I was happy with what I saw for the most part and wasn't screaming at Butler for trailing his man by 3 ft every time he tried to cover someone. Ras-I is defintiely and upgrade over Butler, heck Bodden and Arrington are the weak links of the group now, IMHO.

Last edited:
This should be a stickie. DW is satisfied with the play of our safeties.

Seriously, Belichick basically decided to use safeties less because of the lack of quality at the position. What were the reps last night? Last year THREE safeties were out there on more than 70% of the defensive reps. The number 4 safety was out there 25% of the time. And now we have four corners on the field instead, and Guyton in lots and lots of coverage.

Would a better #3 safety have helped? What about a better #4.
===========

We count on seven defensive backs. I guess I'm fine with Brown being the #7. But we have no backups, no depth, no insurance. I would be much happier with a Page-like addition at safety.

DW Toys

Last edited:
Very good start for the rook. His size is definitely an asset with them running more man coverages.

As for McCourty, I will give him time to adjust since they are moving away from a lot of zone to more man. Even so, I think he had a decent game. Marshall is a stud when he is on.

Indeed. It doesn't help McCourty's case that he was playing bump and run against one of the stronger, bigger, and more physical receivers in the game last night. Marshall took advantage of his relative inexperience. I expect improvements from the entire defense as the year goes on.

Unfortunately, I only caught the last half of the game but the Pats did give up over 400 yards on offense. Yeah, the dolphins were slinging it but 30/49 and 390 yards from Henne doesn't bode well.

Also, 4.9 yards per carry on ground isn't encouraging either.

This looked like the Saints/Packers game and everyone was wondering if the defense had stayed home for that game.

Hopefully the secondary will tighten it up as this was not a good showing for them.

Indeed. It doesn't help McCourty's case that he was playing bump and run against one of the stronger, bigger, and more physical receivers in the game last night. Marshall took advantage of his relative inexperience. I expect improvements from the entire defense as the year goes on.

i think the disappointment in McCourty is skewed based on the yardage they gave up. McCourty was the hardest working player on that defense last night. The ball seemed to go to his side almost every other play and i think he had something like 11 tackles. The biggest stat imo was the fact that Marshall had no TDs

If he made that int in the endzone last night people would be touting him right now.

Last edited:
Seriously, Belichick basically decided to use safeties less because of the lack of quality at the position. What were the reps last night? Last year THREE safeties were out there on more than 70% of the defensive reps. The number 4 safety was out there 25% of the time. And now we have four corners on the field instead, and Guyton in lots and lots of coverage.

Would a better #3 safety have helped? What about a better #4.

It reflects a change in defensive philosophy. It speaks more about the abundance of talent at the corner position than the lack of talent at safety.

My thoughts are they could all use a little more pass rush.

The DBs weren't as clueless as they've been the last 2 years without Stomper & Butler,
but there was still a ton of YAC because of missed tackles, incl. those by McC & Chung.
I was generally unimpressed with the lack of coverage ability by the Safeties,
but that should come as no surprise to any of us.

And having Arrington play DE during the Doofins' too-easy drive for their last TD is a feckin joke.

My thoughts are they could all use a little more pass rush.
Mine too, at one point last night in the first half i was going to post "where's the Pass Rush" but that meant i would have to get off the couch so i said screw it. :)

As far as Dowling goes, the only thing i know about him is that hes injury prone. He played great last night i just hope he can stay healthy.

Last edited:
Say what you will but Marshall is one of the best receivers in the game. Dowling and McCourty did a decent job against him. I am pleasantly suprised at how well Dowling played. I think by mid year, he and McCourty will be the best tandem in the NFL.

what kind of insane mind boggling comment is this. better than asomuagh and samuel? revis and cromartie? tramon williams and charles woodson? if those two even sniff the trail of those pairs i'll be very happy.

Are you serious? First of all, Ras-I had many matchups against Marshall. Secondly, Bess isn't a good receiver? Ras-I Dowling was the best defender in the game last night. That's not hyperbole. He was PAINTED on his man all night.

Not to mention, who do you think the Dolphins would throw at once he entered the game?

I don't know why people bring up the number of targets versus completions, unless it's to prove that that a low number of targets means good coverage.

A defender might give up three completions on three targets but play blanket coverage the rest of the game. 3/3? Bad?

Usually when a receiver is targeted, it's because (a) there is a mismatch, (b) the play is designed for that route, or (c) the receiver is open.

So, looking at targets is not really the best way to evaluate how a player performed.

From looking at the snaps, seems Arrington is down to dime back this season. Only 19 of 76 snaps... perhaps he could be tried out at FS?

People need to stop hating on McCourty. I don't think he played that bad especially considering he was covering Brandon Marshall. We all have high expectations for McCourty this season so it doesn't surprise me people will criticize an OKAY performance vs a top WR.

Last edited:
what kind of insane mind boggling comment is this. better than asomuagh and samuel? revis and cromartie? tramon williams and charles woodson? if those two even sniff the trail of those pairs i'll be very happy.

I can't lie. he has a point with this one. They might be the best tandem we have but not the best tandem in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes