PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Ras-I Dowling and the secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid~Brady

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
SO I can't lie, he looked pretty good out there for his first game. I was a little worried before the game. He was poised and didn't panic when the ball was thrown his way. He made a key break-up on one of the 4th down passes I think it was on Marshall.

McCourty looked okay, not his best, not his worst but taking on Brandon Marshall one on one the whole game is a tough job. I didn't see Sergio Brown as much but I'll be re-watching the game this week sometime. I had to chuckle at Arrington play DE on some plays, he looked like an ant next to those other guys LOL.

Bodden made some nice plays. It's been awhile since he played a full game. I think our secondary did a decent job and made some key stops when it counted. We are off to a good start especially when we get Cunningham and Spikes back for run stuffing.

Last edited:
For the first game I thought they looked pretty good. The amount of yards they gave up is not great, but they were able to tighten up at the goal line and made some good stops. McCourty did not look his best, but on the other hand, he didn't get totally burned on anything. He had a sure INT in the endzone knocked out of his hands by his own guy (Chung?)!

Ras-I did not turn back to tracj the ball. Dolphins receivers he covered where smaller so his size helped him a bit. If they had good receiver then he might have be challanged.

Ras-I did not turn back to tracj the ball. Dolphins receivers he covered where smaller so his size helped him a bit. If they had good receiver then he might have be challanged.

Are you serious? First of all, Ras-I had many matchups against Marshall. Secondly, Bess isn't a good receiver? Ras-I Dowling was the best defender in the game last night. That's not hyperbole. He was PAINTED on his man all night.

Very good start for the rook. His size is definitely an asset with them running more man coverages.

As for McCourty, I will give him time to adjust since they are moving away from a lot of zone to more man. Even so, I think he had a decent game. Marshall is a stud when he is on.

Dowling looked solid. McCourty got beat like a drum. He needs to get his legs under him.

McCourty have been getting beat all preseason and now in the regular season. He hasn't looked great at all.

Say what you will but Marshall is one of the best receivers in the game. Dowling and McCourty did a decent job against him. I am pleasantly suprised at how well Dowling played. I think by mid year, he and McCourty will be the best tandem in the NFL.

Personnaly I thought they did a descent job considering the lack of pressure at times by the front 7. Was it perfect, not even close but I thought overall it was an improvement from last year. Just as I thought the pressure on the QB was an improvement from last year even if only marginally. For the 1st game I was happy with what I saw for the most part and wasn't screaming at Butler for trailing his man by 3 ft every time he tried to cover someone. Ras-I is defintiely and upgrade over Butler, heck Bodden and Arrington are the weak links of the group now, IMHO.

Last edited:
One wonders if you even watched the game.

Bodden is our weak link? How often were they throwing his way?

Arrington is a weak link as a diime back and backup? Arrington may be one of the best #4 corners in the league, hardly a weak link.

Personnaly I thought they did a descent job considering the lack of pressure at times by the front 7. Was it perfect, not even close but I thought overall it was an improvement from last year. Just as I thought the pressure on the QB was an improvement from last year even if only marginally. For the 1st game I was happy with what I saw for the most part and wasn't screaming at Butler for trailing his man by 3 ft every time he tried to cover someone. Ras-I is defintiely and upgrade over Butler, heck Bodden and Arrington are the weak links of the group now, IMHO.

One wonders if you even watched the game.

Bodden is our weak link? How often were they throwing his way?

Arrington is a weak link as a diime back and backup? Arrington may be one of the best #4 corners in the league, hardly a weak link.

Right.

I thought Bodden did a decent job especially since its been awhile. He played decent, I think they targeted him no more than 3-4 times.

I thought Ras-I struggled a little bit at times specifically early but by the end of the game he was certainly noticed and for the better.

I will say this he did luck out on that goal line grab as it was just barely dropped as the receiver came to the ground.

Hard not to be happy with his play.

On the flip side the secondary as whole seemed to be the weakness of the team though I think some of it continues to be by design as one thing that stood out was almost everything was kept in front of them very few big plays were given up and the Dolphins had to earn what they got and a lot of it came in garbage time (which came to close to not being garbage time).

With this offense if the D plays like that I dont think we will lose very many and the good thing about that is I fully expect our D can play much much better but I also guess we wont throw for 500 every game (then again it is Tom).

Right.

I thought Bodden did a decent job especially since its been awhile. He played decent, I think they targeted him no more than 3-4 times.

Also one of those targets would have been a pick if he didnt have that bulky cast on.

I was disappointed with the play of DM but inspired by the play of Dowling. DM will rebound and, should Dowling continue to impress, our corner situation will be a major strength going forward. Can't say the same for the safety position however. At least not at the moment. Hopefully the safety play improves.

Anybody know the last time a team pitched a completion shutout?

When analyzing the secondary, people need to keep in mind that even Sanchez level QB's complete 55% of their passes.

Arrington was our #2 last year. Now he's our #4.

Bodden was our #1 2 years ago. Now he's our # 3.

Our CB's have definitely improved.

Dowling played very well but let's see him stay healthy for awhile before getting too excited.

Last edited:
Outside of that first drive, I thought they did okay......... particularly considering the lack of pressure we had up front. Gave up lots of yards, but all and all, not terrible. Ras-I did real well as a rook. McCourt looked a little rusty.

It is really good to see Bodden out there. He is a really good corner. Dowling was great.
McCourty had the worst game of the 3, although he was the one who spent more time with BM.

Bodden was our #1 2 years ago. Now he's our # 3.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse with that statement.

IMO Bodden is our 2. If play time did not reflect that last night I would assume it due to Boddens injured hand. I think Ras-I showed enough last night to be hopeful your statement becomes accurate but still a little premature.

But even still your point is valid A guy who was our number one guy 2 years ago is number 2 and a guy who filled in to be the number 2 guy last year is number 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes