PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts On Perfect Season and Best Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not feel so good about the undefeated season as some of you.You may think I am a bad fan but I love the Pats and don`t think they need help from the NFL.Yes an undefeated season is good for buisness but not when it is blemished.The Baltimore Ravens won that game without the officials playing for our team.Even when we got rewarded with a TD we did not control as we went OB the Ravens still came back.The last play of the game,a 52 yd reception,gave Ravens ball on our 1 yd line.There was a glaring penalty against our team once again not called as time ran out,robbing Baltimore of a win.
I would much rather see our team 13-1 than to get a win like that.

Well, I agree with you the officials were bad. There were a number of obvious non-called penalties (especially against Wes Welker) earlier in the game that would have made a big difference in the Patriots taking control of the game earlier. There were no bad calls in the 4th quarter, so I don't know what you're talking about there. (Yes, there was a terrible non-call for offensive PI against the Ravens on the last play of the game, not that it would have made any difference).

As far as the TD goes, IMO it went have set a new NFL precedent had the TD been overturned. Never before in NFL history (that I'm aware of) has a ball that's been cleanly caught (i.e. no juggling of the ball at all) been called a non-catch simply because the ball had not been brought into the body before going out of bounds. If you'd like to bring one to my attention, that would be great. If not, you might reconsider your opinion.

I was riding pretty high, particularly through the Colts game. It really seemed as though the cliche -- "the only team that can beat the patriots is the patriots" -- was true. But the last month has brought me down a notch. To the extent they have looked like the best team in football, it's not by the same margin, and they appear beatable.

I was enjoying that "we're invincible" feeling, and now I'm concerned that there are teams coming on that can beat us.

I think the way the press has decided to cover the patriots, expectations are really really high. Anything less than a super bowl victory will feel like a defeat, and that's a very hard situation on fans.

The undefeated season is not that important to me. While it would be historical, I'd be a bit happier (for example) if we were 13-1 and completely healthy, and had crushed the Eagles, crushed the Jets, crushed the Colts, and just happened to have had an off night in Baltimore.

I knew this season was going to be special during the pre-season game when Vince Young was stoned at the goalline. That was the most physical pre-season game I have ever seen.

even suggesting 19-0' guys, at what point did you realize it was more likely than not.[/B]
They won't admit it. I remember some comments on here such as "Delete these topics, you are absolutely ridiculous for even thinking of such a thing, you are all morons! What idiots!

My father said before the season "if they get by the Chargers, they're going undefeated"... I scoffed at the suggestion. I really only started to believe as Kevin Faulk was stretching into the end zone to put them on top of the Colts.

If any other teams fans truly believe their team will win the SB this year they are more deluded and homerish than Pats fans are for believing the same. The other 31 have more flaws and greater flaws.

For me the moment was--falling behind in Dallas, and the overwhelming sense that the team was PISSED about it and went out and beat Dallas into submission.

This has been the season that I have concluded that Logan Mankins may well be my favorite player on the team.

I am enjoying the ride and will be tremendously disappointed if we lose any games between now and 2010 preseason.

. My question is at what point or points did you start to think that?The point of my post is this:
1) Are we holding back from just enjoying the ride until its over?
2) When did you start believing in the perfect season?
3) If you were one of the 'your an idiot for even suggesting 19-0' guys, at what point did you realize it was more likely than not.

I won't go so far as saying I predicted it, but I knew it was a clear possiblity in the pre-season back in the beginning of August and said so.

It's funny going back to look at my pre-season statement that this team was assembled as an attempt at the perfect season....

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ead.php?p=478171&highlight=perfect#post478171

I'll hapilly take back my stated desire back then that they should make the SB the priority. I think one MUST take a chance at making history at this stage and go full out in the regular season.

I knew it was a real possibility after Week 2.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ead.php?p=529547&highlight=perfect#post529547

I never made fun of folks who wanted to talk about it as a possibility. That's what fans are supposed to do. The team can eat humble pie but I've been enjoying this ride - though I've been keeping expectations real.

Do you think Patriots64 will call himself ******ed for saying anyone who correctly predicted 16-0 was ******ed?

Anyone who correctly predicts a 16 -0 regular season is lucky as much as anything. You also after the Chargers playoff game last year said the Patriots would win the Super Bowl. Don't you say that every year?

AndyJohnson;1) Are we holding back from just enjoying the ride until its over? .[/QUOTE said:
We don't all suffer from premature celebration

Anyone who correctly predicts a 16 -0 regular season is lucky as much as anything. You also after the Chargers playoff game last year said the Patriots would win the Super Bowl. Don't you say that every year?

Ah yes, the record of totally bogus predictions is quickly forgotten.
I started thinking run the table after the Colts W. Became really concerned after the 2 Birds games where the team squeaked by.

I think 16-0 is as sure as anything can be in pro football, but the 3 games to glory will be a nail biter. Injuries will play a big part for all involved.

Here's one of the better threads.

Someone who in week three pointed out how difficult it would be to go undefeated in the regular season, because as luck would have it, not all of our games were going to be played at Gillette Stadium.

Darn it all - nearly half of all our games were scheduled to be played on the road. Whoda thunk it?

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ead.php?p=541870&highlight=perfect#post541870

One of PATRIOT64's rants was so ridiculous it was actually deleted and replaced with [Mod. deleted flaming] Heh.
Haha. I don't remember calling people delusional over it. Thats funny. I never doubted that the Pats were an amazing team but I never imagined any team going undefeated. I felt we were bound to lose a couple although I still believed we are going to win the SB.

But don't pretend like I was the only one who went off on a rant about how people are crazy if they think the Pats will go undefeated. There were SO many other people who were doing the same thing. More than the majority of people here predicted that we wouldn't go undefeated. I'll eat crow for that comment should the Pats beat the Fins and Giants. Its not over yet. 5 more games.

Last edited:
I don’t know about you but I am enjoying this team like never before. If they lose a game this season, they will still have provided this fan with more thrills than I ever could have hoped for. I have been a Pats fan for 43 years. Babe Parilli and Nick Buoniconti were my first hero’s. When they made it to Super Bowls XX and XXXI, while the losses were a disappointment just getting there was again a thrill. Three Super Bowl wins in four years is unbelievable. Anything more is gravy. I hope they go 19-0 but if they don’t, this 70 year old fan will love them and feel he has experienced more joy than any fan of any team has a right to expect. As far as I'm concerned they are the best ever. I don't care what anybody else thinks.:)

I don’t know about you but I am enjoying this team like never before. If they lose a game this season, they will still have provided this fan with more thrills than I ever could have hoped for. I have been a Pats fan for 43 years. Babe Parilli and Nick Buoniconti were my first hero’s. When they made it to Super Bowls XX and XXXI, while the losses were a disappointment just getting there was again a thrill. Three Super Bowl wins in four years is unbelievable. Anything more is gravy. I hope they go 19-0 but if they don’t, this 70 year old fan will love them and feel he has experienced more joy than any fan of any team has a right to expect. As far as I'm concerned they are the best ever. I don't care what anybody else thinks.:)

You know something you insufferable "homer", you're the kind of fan a team like this deserves... :D :rocker:

I'm just focused on Miami right now.

I love the way the Pats are playing and think the Jets win was a great team win. HUGE defensive effort last week. See what we get this week!!!

Just this week it really hit me. 14-0. Only 2 more in regular season and then the Big 3. The Pats will complete the greatest season in Team Sports History. Perfection. Domination. This is History. They'll be talking about these Pats 50 years from now when someone tries to go 21-0. I think we will do it and I have come out of closet this week and am now admitting it and basking in it.

I do not feel so good about the undefeated season as some of you.You may think I am a bad fan but I love the Pats and don`t think they need help from the NFL.Yes an undefeated season is good for buisness but not when it is blemished.The Baltimore Ravens won that game without the officials playing for our team.Even when we got rewarded with a TD we did not control as we went OB the Ravens still came back.The last play of the game,a 52 yd reception,gave Ravens ball on our 1 yd line.There was a glaring penalty against our team once again not called as time ran out,robbing Baltimore of a win.
I would much rather see our team 13-1 than to get a win like that.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Holy crap, as if there wasn't anything worse than a Ravens fan, it's a Ravens fan signing up on a Pats board and pretending to be a Patsfan. Embarrassing.

What's worse is that even a Ravens fans has to admit all the right calls were made at the end of the game, and that the Pats were getting jobbed all game.

Last edited:
I will celebrate when BB and TB start celebrating. I will enjoy the games and expect to win, but any Pat fan who has a memory remembers what can - and frequently does happen with overconfidence. If we had an outstanding ground game, I would feel much better.

For now, I can celebrate what cannot be taken away. Tom's stats, BB rubbing it into the media and opposition talking heads every week, our defense and offensive lines, our special teams including Chrostowski, and the greatest Owner and Fans in the NFL.

Most of all, I appreciate the big loud-mouth "ME FIRST" opposing team "superstars" that give BB nice quotes to read to the team each week. I am convinced that they have provided more than a few extra points of separation a dozen times this year. I don't think we will get any more gifts like those the rest of the year, so am not sure about Tom and Randy beating Peyton and Jerry's records. GO Pats!:D

You all realize that if the Pats go 19-0 there will still be plenty of talking heads who won't admit that this is the greatest team ever, don't you?

You all realize that if the Pats go 19-0 there will still be plenty of talking heads who won't admit that this is the greatest team ever, don't you?

I've already heard the talking heads discuss this. Some have said this is the best offense they have ever seen but not the best team. Which in some ways they have a point because, let's face it,this defense is not the 04 Pat's or 85 Bears. However, some could argue this is the best team ever because collectively as a whole regarless if the offense is head and shoulders above the defense they get the win as a team. Specials teams, defense and offense.

My personal opinion on the team is the schedule. We have taken on all comers and beat some really good teams along the way. I have got a spot in my heart always for the 03 team that took out co mvps in the playoffs. No easy road like the Dolphins of 72. The opponents winning percentage was just awful and I think that is why that team although undefeated, will always only be remembered for being undefeated and not in the same class as the elite few.

As far as the best ever? There are still five games left and right now I can't go there. I feel the stress every week and the utter dissapointment of a loss hangs over two fold especially when we begin the postseason. I'm just a fan and I feel this way. What are the players thinking? I should be enjoying it and I am, but this whole season has turned into a quest like no other. An undefeated season means absolutely nothing to me once the postseason begins. It's Superbowl or bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back