PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Draft (Class) Prospects for Pats? (all positions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
QUOTE=DaBruinz;2493371]Chinasa - Fits the mold, but questions about his consistency raise a flag.

I like the McElroy pick as I see him as another player who the Pats could develop into a successful back-up QB.

I'll be honest. I'd rather have Cam Jordan over Heyward. I think that Houston is going to go higher than expected and that Kerrigan will fall to the Pats late in the 1st.

I don't know enough about Ijalana to say whether I'd rather have him over someone like Watkins or Pouncey.

I think I'd prefer Hunter over Powell at RB.[/QUOTE]

Hunter is currently projected to go in the second round which places him out of reach when I consider the first four picks (17,28,33,60) all must be devoted to the most crucial needs of OT,DE,OLB,and OG. I also see Powell as a BJGE clone who I consider a bargan at pick 124 exactly where he is projected to go. Especialy since I see no great seperation in tallent from the 3rd rated RB in the draft to Powell at no. 12.
Ugo Chinasa could be one of the best steals of the draft for a 3-4 team at OLB. At 6'5" 264 lb. 4.71 40 , extreamly fluid hips and good coverage skills, good containment ability , leverage, pass rush, I don't understand how he has gone undiscovered. His drawback of inconsistancy should be easyly coached up and the transition to true OLB should be seamless judgeing by the style of DE he has played. As a 3-4 OLB he will be a steal in this draft.
Especialy at pick 156.
Cameron Jordon is expected to be picked around pick 12 which is way out of our range especialy since if we wan't one of the elite 4 OT's in this draft we must take him with pick 17. Two of the 4 elite tackles are predicted to be gone before we pick at 17 and the other 2 will not make it past the low 20's if that. This leaves us with pick 28, and fortunately because of the extreamly deap draft at DE Cameron Heyward who projects well in the Pats 3-4 system should still be on the board.
Even if Kerrigan as a conversion DE/OLB fell to 33 I believe I would still go with Houston who is courantly holding around the end of the 1st to early 2nd.This is one of two picks that may take some manuvering to accomplish with a move up of a spot or two. The next pick that may take a little manuvering is the 2nd pick in the 2nd rd.(Ijalana)
It would be nice to aquire Pouncey but he is riseing up the boards higher than any OG should. He is estemated to go in the mid teens maby the 3rd. OL taken.Watkins is not a bad pick either but to get a rookie who will turn 27 years old before he plays a down in the NFL if he starts his first year is like looseing the first 4 years off the average rookies life span. Useing a 2nd. rd. pick you are hopeing for a long term player, after his rookie contract is up you must start thinking about his replacement.(rookie contract up at 31 ?) Hudson is a little bit small and not much room to add more girth, That leaves us with Ijalana who is a mauler who playes with attitude. Ijalana has played both OT and OG spots and comes ready to start . The problem here is that a move up of 5 to 10 spots from pick 60 may be nessisary to seal this deal. But adding both Carimi and Ijalana to the OL this year adds size, youth, flexibility, and attitude comproble to Mankins, makeing Koppen at C the only piece to be replaced next year barrng the loss of Mankins. If Mankins is lost after this yeat this move will be criticle to avoid replaceing to many pieces of the OL at one time next year.
McElroy should be a good investment if he can be taken at Pick 188 for a possible back up role and possible trade value 3 of 4 years down the line. Thats if his tech. can be coached up.

Last edited:
My fav realistic RB prospects right now are:

Delone Carter 5'8 222 ran 4.53 Mid Round
Allen Bradford 5'10 242 ran 4.56 UDFA
Mikel Leshoure 5'11 227 ran 4.56 Don't know his projection right now but i expect him to slip due to having more game speed than track speed.
Mario Fannin 5'10 231 ran 4.37 His stock is going to rise fast after that 40 he put up, so he is probably off my board.

Well PLAYED, Brothah!! I've got two of those guys ~ Bradford + Fannin ~ on my Mock for the last couple months, which is AMAZING longevity on my Mocks!! :D

And Delone Carter is high on my list, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes