PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Dominique Easley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I am hopeful that he is still working his way back to playing shape and he comes on strong in the second half; through the first 7 weeks of the season, he has not done much that has caught my eye outside of the interception in week 2. These are his stats this season – 6 games, 5 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 interception, 1 pass defense, 0 run stuffs, 0 QB hits, 1 QB hurry.

What does everyone else think of him so far, and what are some realistic expectations for the second half of the season for him?

Well obviously he hasn't been very good. Mostly invisible, and there has been very few moments where he has flashed what I would call prime talent.

He reminds me a bit of Marcell Dareus. Similar body type, similar elite burst off the ball, similar struggle for the first few years. At least Dareus is coming into his own now, but the jury will still be out on Easley.

After 2 or 3 games, he looked like he was rounding into shape. Then he injured his shoulder.

2 steps forward, 1 step back.

Injured rookie. It is what it is. He's already logged more time than Ras-I Dowling tho. LOL

He reminds me a bit of Marcell Dareus. Similar body type

What? Dareus is 40lbs heavier they are in no way similar players or close to having a similar body type.

In fact, Easley looks a lot smaller than the 290lbs he's listed at, he looks like a LB!

I'm sure he'll be fine. There was one play the other night where it initially looked like he'd burst through the Jets OL but one of olineman shoved him from behind. I feel like he's still not 100% yet.

He's a pass rushing DT. Rarely do those guys come in and set the league on fire in their first year

Gerald McCoy and Geno Atkins two of the best pass rushing DTs weren't really notable their rookie seasons.

Last edited:
anyone have a count on his snaps played? I'm guessing it's around 100 although he did play a lot in one game.

I noticed he looked a bit slow running in the open field. I, too, question if he's really up to full speed. Give it a bit of time.

He's a pass rushing DT. Rarely do those guys come in and set the league on fire in their first year

Gerald McCoy and Geno Atkins two of the best pass rushing DTs weren't really notable their rookie seasons.
I agree.

1) He lost offseason time due to injury.

2) he had an additional injury.

3) He plays a role where it sometimes takes time to develop.

Given all that, Easley has been playing OK, contributing some as part of the 4-man DT unit. He is saving a roster spot. Easley is playing enough for Vellano to be cut.

For me, it seems that he in contributing more than might be expected, given his injuries. For the future, it seems likely that he will be a future starter, probably starting in 2015 next to Wilfork.

anyone have a count on his snaps played? I'm guessing it's around 100 although he did play a lot in one game.

142 snaps out of 404 (31.5%). Bills game snaps are not included in the overall snaps because he didn't play.

Hopefully he has a nice 2nd year jump. Because besides the int, he's been completely invisible on the field.

rookie+returning for big injury=not expected to make a major contribution til the end of the season.

If we make the playoffs id expect to see him light it up a smidge. but for right now im just happy hes on the field getting some experience in live game action.

142 snaps out of 404 (31.5%). Bills game snaps are not included in the overall snaps because he didn't play.
Weren't close to half of those also in one game?
Hard to judge him on what amounts to 2 games of full time snaps spread over 2 months. Especially when a big chunk of them came playing over the C on a 3 man line on obvious passing downs.

I am fully confident that if he stays healthy he will make big strides in years 2-3.

However, I'm don't think that I can be very confident in saying that he will stay healthy.

Great point. Easley's clearly an incomplete right now, but that's not particularly concerning.

This draft class is going go take a long time to properly evaluate. It looks like we already have a starting caliber center in Stork. Like others have said, we probably won't know what we really have with Easley until 2015.

Jimmy G by himself can make the 2014 draft class an A+. We won't know for awhile.

Weren't close to half of those also in one game?
Hard to judge him on what amounts to 2 games of full time snaps spread over 2 months. Especially when a big chunk of them came playing over the C on a 3 man line on obvious passing downs.

He also played a decent amount at DE when Jones went out in the Chiefs game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes