PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Anthony Gonzalez (No, the other one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So I'm not a huge college FB fan but watch my fair share of games every season. Whenever OSU was playing the last few years, I couldnt' help but notice what a gamer The Other Tony Gonzalez is.

He's the kind of dude who just seems to make plays. Reminded me a lot of Joe Jurvecious (sp?) when he was with Penn.

So for all you draftniks out there, what is your take on him? If the Pats do pull a (sort of) surprise and go WR with #28, I personally wouldn't mind if it was this guy.

Thoughts?

So I'm not a huge college FB fan but watch my fair share of games every season. Whenever OSU was playing the last few years, I couldnt' help but notice what a gamer The Other Tony Gonzalez is.

He's the kind of dude who just seems to make plays. Reminded me a lot of Joe Jurvecious (sp?) when he was with Penn.

So for all you draftniks out there, what is your take on him? If the Pats do pull a (sort of) surprise and go WR with #28, I personally wouldn't mind if it was this guy.

Thoughts?

A lot smaller than Jurvescious, and a lot faster. The only things Gonzalez has in common with him is that he has whitish skin, has good hands & runs good routes, I do like Gonzalez, but I like others more. If Meachem, Bowe or Jarrett fall to 28, I'd be very pissed if the take Gonzalez over those guys.

there is a lot of depth at WR this year....gonzalez isnt 1st round material and there are other wr's that are simply better imo....but if gonzalez was the pick, i'd say take the 28th pick and trade down, pick up a 2nd/3rd or 2nd/4th

I will be very upset if the Patriots take Gonzales anywhere in the draft. When Ginn was out of the lineup AG just disappeared, not impressive at all and definately not a go to guy. The guys at PFW weekly came to the same conclusion! He is probably overhyped due to the fact that he plays opposite Ginn.

I do like Meacham or Garrett

Stay away from AG

Last edited:
A lot smaller than Jurvescious, and a lot faster. The only things Gonzalez has in common with him is that he has whitish skin, has good hands & runs good routes, I do like Gonzalez, but I like others more. If Meachem, Bowe or Jarrett fall to 28, I'd be very pissed if the take Gonzalez over those guys.

Sorry, I had meant my comparision as in their tendancy to make big plays on the college level.

Interesting note though about him disappearing when Ginn was out of the lineup.

I will be very upset if the Patriots take Gonzales anywhere in the draft. When Ginn was out of the lineup AG just disappeared, not impressive at all and definately not a go to guy. The guys at PFW weekly came to the same conclusion! He is probably overhyped due to the fact that he plays opposite Ginn.

I do like Meacham or Garrett

Stay away from AG

I would counter by saying a good part of the reason Ginn was so productive was the presence of AG on the other side. It's a symbiotic relationship, but Ginn is the one-trick pony in the offense. What's going to happen when he realizes that in the NFL, his speed isn't all that special?

Gonzo will probably never be a true #1, but as a complimentary receiver he has a chance to be special.

In the national championship game once Ginn went out, Florida high/lowed and inside/outed Gonzo all game. Smith just wouldn't throw into small windows. As a matter of fact a case can be made that no onw knows if Ginn or Gonzo can catch through small windows.
A lot of receivers that looked great in college, struggle with the small windows of the pro game.
I think BB prefers the smaller quicker WR's because they can create a little extra window room because they do not have to downshift into and out of their breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back