PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on a Player/Coach roster spot in the new CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I'm just throwing this idea out there again - the notion of a veteran player coach who would not count towards the roster and/or salary cap is an idea I've raised from time to time.

While there's a long way to go in the "negotiations" between the players and owners, I've always thought giving each team a roster and/or salary cap exemption for a veteran player (10 years plus - maybe with the same team, or maybe just in the NFL in general) would be a good thing for football.

The old rules regarding the NFL veteran minimum salary and its limited salary cap hit seems to recognize the value that a veteran player brings to the team. I'm thinking it would be good to keep that as is, but give teams the ability to retain a player/coach - a Troy Brown or even Alge Crumpler type who might no longer have the full physical skills but can serve as a role model or teacher to the rookies.

Designating one player per team provides some added depth to the roster, and gives quality veterans who might otherwise be on the bubble the opportunity to remain with the team and contribute - both on the field and as teachers and good examples for the younger players.

My feeling is that retaining such high caliber players (in terms of character, work ethic and knowledge/experience) would be beneficial both to the young players, eligible veterans, and the NFL in general.

I'm not sure if it's been seriously considered by anyone in the NFL, but I think it would be a win win all around and might be a nice bone for the owners to throw to the players - as well as the fans, as its probably the fan favorites like Troy Brown, Crumpler, Kevin Faulk who would be in the running.

Any thoughts from PatsFans nation on this?

Last edited:
There would probably have to be a limit on how many games these player coaches could actually come in play.

Can't be done, coaches put far too many hours in to be able to work as players. You don't get enough rest working 85 hours a week to play on Sunday

if they are not good anuff to play every week then what good are they should just stay a coach... i dont wanna see pepper johnson playing ILB for the pats lol

Do not see them adding another roster sport for a part timer... coaches coach and players play.

Can't be done, coaches put far too many hours in to be able to work as players. You don't get enough rest working 85 hours a week to play on Sunday

I think you've misinterpreted the point.

We're not talking about Bill Belichick or another head or a position assistant lacing 'em up to actually play in games in addition to pulling a 85 hour work week as a full time coach on top of time practicing and playing.

We're talking about a roster and salary cap exemption for a veteran player who's presence helps foster younger player development, and potentially can serve as a role player or backup.

I guess I should have made that a bit more clear.

For example - I noticed that quite a few fans here were noting the significant off field contributions made by Alge Crumpler and how that's helped the development of our young TEs.

Personally I can't see a downside, and I think it's in the interest of the NFL owners, and the players, and the long-term health of the league, to retain some of that valuable experience from players like Troy Brown, Kevin Faulk, Alge Crumpler, etc. I think the contributions of such players - even off the field - would be significant, and don't understand why anyone thinks such a player would have to put in an additional 80 hour work week.

It's simply a way to allow such "good example" veterans to stretch out their careers another year or two when their age and declining skills would otherwise see them cut.

But apparently some may think that giving the Patriots a roster and salary cap exemption for such a player is a VERY bad idea, as the one star rating of this thread suggests. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Do not see them adding another roster sport for a part timer... coaches coach and players play.

It's basically an extension of the veteran minimum salary cap exemption that already exists. The NFL is already sold on the concept - that's why they have the partial exemption.

This would extend it further giving a full roster and salary cap exemption (likely capped at the full veteran minimum).

The NFL will need to throw a few bones to the veterans as part of the CBA negotiations should they ever resume - especially if there's a proposal to cap rookie salaries.

I would expect that expanding the roster and creating more opportunities for veterans to increase earnings will be a focus of the new CBA negotiations - so none of this strikes me as a controversial reach.

If they allow it, there can only be one guy for the position:

Reggie Dunlap!!

Attachments

• Reggie.jpg
    Reggie.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 93
I think you've misinterpreted the point.

We're not talking about Bill Belichick or another head or a position assistant lacing 'em up to actually play in games in addition to pulling a 85 hour work week as a full time coach on top of time practicing and playing.

We're talking about a roster and salary cap exemption for a veteran player who's presence helps foster younger player development, and potentially can serve as a role player or backup.

I guess I should have made that a bit more clear.

For example - I noticed that quite a few fans here were noting the significant off field contributions made by Alge Crumpler and how that's helped the development of our young TEs.

Personally I can't see a downside, and I think it's in the interest of the NFL owners, and the players, and the long-term health of the league, to retain some of that valuable experience from players like Troy Brown, Kevin Faulk, Alge Crumpler, etc. I think the contributions of such players - even off the field - would be significant, and don't understand why anyone thinks such a player would have to put in an additional 80 hour work week.

It's simply a way to allow such "good example" veterans to stretch out their careers another year or two when their age and declining skills would otherwise see them cut.

But apparently some may think that giving the Patriots a roster and salary cap exemption for such a player is a VERY bad idea, as the one star rating of this thread suggests. :rolleyes:

Alge Crumpler started 10 games for the pats and was a big part of the offense not stat wise but in blocking... i think your talking about more of a Junior Seau 2009 type roll were he only played in 7 games and seen no more then 5 snaps a game that was a joke watching one of the best LB's of all time not being able to get on the field with a team that has average LB's at best IMO if it's a player like that then he's no help to the team

Alge Crumpler started 10 games for the pats and was a big part of the offense not stat wise but in blocking...

If that's the common belief regarding the extent of Crumpler's contributions to the team then I have a much better understanding as to why this is a one-star thread.

I have a feeling that Hernandez, Gronkowski, and likely Belichick himself would take issue with such a limited view that ignores roles in leadership, locker room presence, a defacto position coach and overall good role model for young players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down