PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on a back up QB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Here is my thought on the back up situation.. I dont want to have one, unless its at a end of 52-7 game against the redskins.. I dont want nobody out there but number 12, because with out him, this ship is sunk for the yr..

But with that said, I would say the Matt Cassell experiement ends today, nothing that Ive seen is making me warm and fuzzy about him, he had his shots this pre season and did not perform...But this could be another thought.. Guitierriez maybee he is the one that gets cut today and that would make Cassel stick on, causing such dismay on this site and among Pats fans.. But before pats fans start the lynching, the pats may be waiting to cut cassel, until a guy say Damon Huard, or Chris Simms, Gus Ferrotte, get cut.. then cassel would get cut for the favor of them.. But my predicition is that Belichick has spot for Matt Guitierriez , he picked him over Vinny Testeverde last yr.. which says it will on opening day Brady, Gutz, and O Connell..

Last edited:
The Patriots need someone to bridge the gap between Brady and O'Connell (who I like).

Signing a veteran with starting experience is the way to go. We're not looking for Brady's replacement, we're looking for someone who can come in in the fourth quarter or (god forbid) step in for Brady should he get injured.

I've got no confidence in Cassell. I don't see him practice, maybe he practices good - I don't know. But I agree, we have to end this experiment and get somone in like Culpepper, Simms or whoever.

Cassell worked with the first offense in 4 games this preseason.. Out of all the games I saw, the only positive play he made was a 22 yrd run... He has 4 yrs to prove himself, its over..

Cassell worked with the first offense in 4 games this preseason.. Out of all the games I saw, the only positive play he made was a 22 yrd run... He has 4 yrs to prove himself, its over..

I do believe that it is as simple as that.

His role is to get the ball to catchers. And the metaphor used to describe him in the pocket as a "deer in headlights" couldn't be more true. He just doesn't have it.

We 'like' O'C because he's this year's new rook who plays against the 4th QTR scrubs.

In previous years Cassie was Da Man, the guy the same folks here years ago got wood over BB trading for a #1 or Day One pick this season. Gotta luv the infatuation with the newbie QB.

Relatedly, Simms won't be cut. He's being traded.

We should sticky / merge this into one thread that will likely be needed later today entitled incoherent musings...

We should sticky / merge this into one thread that will likely be needed later today entitled incoherent musings...

Haha... that would be one long-a$s thread and would eliminate almost all the other ones...

We 'like' O'C because he's this year's new rook who plays against the 4th QTR scrubs.

In previous years Cassie was Da Man, the guy the same folks here years ago got wood over BB trading for a #1 or Day One pick this season. Gotta luv the infatuation with the newbie QB.

The same scrubs that Cassell could do nothing against.

I've never liked Cassell. I don't see the logic in him being considered so highly even though the last time he started a game was like 6 years ago.

I know it has been done to death.

I agree with you.
Cassell is occuping someone else's roster spot.
I'd just as soon go with Gutierrez. Could he be less effective than Cassell?
I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing