PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts from around the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswlek

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
* Lovie Smith's quote has been talked about, and Green's press conference is a near-historic NFL event, but I haven't seen anyone talk about Grossman's comments yet.

"It was just meant to be. We were supposed to win that game for some reason. Everything went our way when we needed it to be."

I am quickly becoming an unabashed Bears hater. I hope that they all come down with Scurvy just before the playoffs so they can see what all these "fateful" wins get them.

* Did anyone see the roughing the passer call against Cincy in their one point, late game loss to Tampa Bay? All I know is that I would be almost ready to write a scathing letter to the league if NE lost due to a BS call like that.

* The Jets are getting a big break with Detoit's DE Rogers suspension.

* I like footballoutsiders' message boards because you get knowledgable people from different fanbases commenting on things. Here is one guy's take on the Bogger McFarland trade:

….they do know they got Anthony McFarland, right?

The same McFarland who has 6 tackles on the year, fourth lowest of the entire Bucs defense? The same Booger who had 18 tackles last season while the other three starters on the line were in the 30s? The same McFarland who had zero pressures, zero tackles, zero sacks against the Saints impressive interior offensive line?

Hell, his back up split time with him in the Bengals game, and finished with two sacks, five tackles, one assist. Booger: two tackles.

This move is a win-win, for Tampa. They get a 2nd round pick, and they move a huge underachieving cap eater who was going to be cut at the end of the year anyway. And the Bucs are now probably close to 25M under the cap next season.

Bruce Allen is a god.

after being challenged he responds with:

Sure, counting tackles can be overrated. But watch the games. The under tackle in this defense is supposed to make plays and Booger’s been invisible since Sapp left. Booger’s last good game was opening day last year against Minnesota, and the last time he dominated a game was against Dallas a few years back when he was facing a banged up Larry Allen (Parcells benched Allen midway through). I think people who don’t watch the Bucs regularly assume he must be good because he’s been a regular starter on a high level defense. But he’s been hiding for years. I don’t blame the Colts for trying to do something to stop the run and he certaintly knows Dungy’s D. But a 2 is way too high a price. I love it.

Some decent commentary and worth the look.

Last edited:
Very interesting stuff. I'll have to click some of those links when I have some free time at home. I gotta get to work today, I'm swamped at work and I've been patsfansing all morning. Oops.

What did Lovie Smith say?

Re: the roughing the passing video, I've stated this before, but it bears repeating (at least I think so) : the League has established a Hands Off policy in favor of its "stars", i.e. the QBs and WRs. Meanwhile, it disgracefully turns a blind eye to the Alex Gibbs-taught cut-blocking tactics that imperil the livelihood of DLmen everywhere. Nobody wants to see Terry Bradshaw vs. Joe "Turkey" Jones, or Darryl Stingley vs. Jack Tatum, ever again, but this Little Lord Fauntleroy treatment of the primma donnas is really nauseating.

captain stone said:
What did Lovie Smith say?

Re: the roughing the passing video, I've stated this before, but it bears repeating (at least I think so) : the League has established a Hands Off policy in favor of its "stars", i.e. the QBs and WRs. Meanwhile, it disgracefully turns a blind eye to the Alex Gibbs-taught cut-blocking tactics that imperil the livelihood of DLmen everywhere. Nobody wants to see Terry Bradshaw vs. Joe "Turkey" Jones, or Darryl Stingley vs. Jack Tatum, ever again, but this Little Lord Fauntleroy treatment of the primma donnas is really nauseating.

Very true.

And as far as Grossman and Lovie annointing themselves a team of destiny in the media, when they fail to win in the playoffs due to all their feel-good, touchy-feely, heart on my sleeve, karma BULLSH#T, it will certainly make for some good jokes at their expense.

On a related note, in mini-camp, the Redskins said that they felt so good about themselves that nothing short of a Superbowl Victory would due for them. How's that working out? :rolleyes:

- Agree 100% about the Bears hate. I almost want them to go 16-0 and then lose their first playoff game.

- That call was complete BS. If you can't even sack the QB what is this league going to become? Fortunately, I didn't hear anyone in the media defend that call and there's usually at least 1 or 2 no matter how bad it is.

- Yes, yes they are.

- I was at that game and it's true that Booger got no pressure, but let's give the Saints O line some credit here, they held Philly (the league leader in sacks) without a sack and last I checked they are near the top of the league in sacks allowed, if not leading the league. That said, no way he is worth a second round pick.

I don't get the Bears hate thing. Grossman is just saying everything went their way in a game that by all rights they should have lost. His quote is not remarkable at all. I kind of like them. A tough blue collar team that wins with their defense. Reminds me of some other team I like and the scarey thing about that game was Grossman had about the worst game a QB can have and they still won! I mean 6 turnovers in a single game.

The roughing the passer call was made because the defender drove the QB's head into the ground.

We can argue all day about whether that should be a penalty or not, but the refs will call that one every time.

hwc said:
The roughing the passer call was made because the defender drove the QB's head into the ground.

We can argue all day about whether that should be a penalty or not, but the refs will call that one every time.

His head did end up hitting the ground but in no way did the defender drive the QB's head into the ground. He actually brought him down without much force and he certainly did not add any unneccessary force. The QB folded up and essentially ducked when he got wrapped up around the waste. The defender simply tackled him.

It was a bad call. I understand the Ref's only have a split second to interpret what they see but it still should not have been called.

Last edited:
mgcolby said:
It was a bad call. I understand the Ref's only have a split second to interpret what they see but it still should not have been called.

I don't think the rule allows interpretation. Anything that involves the QB's head or below the waist will be flagged, whether the defender meant to or not. It is what it it is.

hwc said:
I don't think the rule allows interpretation. Anything that involves the QB's head or below the waist will be flagged, whether the defender meant to or not. It is what it it is.

The reason the head was driven into the ground because of the way that curled his body up as the defender took him down. There is no way that that play was RTP. Not even close.

brady et al fan said:
I don't get the Bears hate thing. Grossman is just saying everything went their way in a game that by all rights they should have lost. His quote is not remarkable at all. I kind of like them. A tough blue collar team that wins with their defense. Reminds me of some other team I like and the scarey thing about that game was Grossman had about the worst game a QB can have and they still won! I mean 6 turnovers in a single game.

I disagree. Saying "it was meant to be", or that they are "destiny's team" is ridiculous. They go lucky. Nothing more, nothing less.

Say something like "fortune smiled on us" or "sometimes the ball bounces your way" or even "we made plays when we had to". I find it absurd when people credit a higher power for football wins or losses.

hwc said:

You are right. But I still don't like it. :D

mgcolby said:
You are right. But I still don't like it. :D
NFL Total Access had this on for the NFL's referee apologist - I actually had to concede there was a legitimate point tonight when he showed the coach's tape at game speed from the Ref's prespective. The rule is overprotective and frankly forced the call because it did look like a head driving tackle from that angle - at that speed. The rule is too Polianesque, at least until it protects Tommy again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back