Status
Not open for further replies.

eom

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Patriots love to have their players with 46-man active roster bonuses

I had never heard that --- maybe it's common knowledge

oh, sry

basically, all these contracts come down to a small handful of forms of payment --- straight weekly salaries, signing bonuses, performance based bonuses, etc.
so, occasionally I'll hear about some guy getting a 'roster bonus' and assume it means just actually making the team -- ie the 53 man roster.

miguel pointed out that the pats apparently will use aan active roster bonus, so if you were inactive on gameday you wouldn't qualify for that -- gives a little more meaning to those weekly active/inactive decisions I never really read much into before.
some of those vets could actually be losing out on $ if they aren't active.

Makes sense....that's why it's called a " Bonus" ... :D

Makes sense....that's why it's called a " Bonus" ... :D
But that's not really a bonus, it's just another incentive. AFCC and Super Bowl shares are the true bonuses. :)

46-man active roster bonuses are now a common component in Patriots contracts. Was not used in the early years of the BB era. Brady is the only veteran signed for the 2017 season who does not have a 46-man active roster bonus. When a kicker now has 46-man active roster bonus, seems safe to say that going forward all veterans will have them.

Is it meant as a reward for veterans (since it's extremely likely they'll be on the 46 man), or is it meant as a motivating factor for everyone? Since the Belichick culture is firmly established as, "You get on the field by merit, not by reputation," it would seem like the message is: Practice hard, be prepared for the game, and you'll get a bonus from earning your role on gameday.

I think it gives guys a little extra incentive to get healthy, maybe work harder on rehab, or don't malinger with injury excuse.
also, if you're late for a meeting, or whatever, and get deactivated, it's less like a paid day off, and still costs you money

guys on their rookies deals, like white, would be in a grace period, but guys on 2nd contracts are incentivized to be active every week.

Tough part is when they give starters week 17 off to rest and make them inactive......Didn't realize it would cost them $$$$$$

Tough part is when they give starters week 17 off to rest and make them inactive......Didn't realize it would cost them $$$$$$

There are only 7 guys(from the 53) who can be inactive. By week 17, it's pretty safe to say the health angle is a strong incentive as well.

And they probably have some option to give credit if the player was willing, but was a coaches decision to not play him. For most of these bonuses, it isn't that much of a dollar amount (compared to the overall team cap- so team wouldn't have so much issue with being generous if player deserves it).

here's more on the subject from the perspective of a buffalo guy

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buf...-contract-roster-bonuses-new-england-patriots

so, how is this dealt with for cap accounting?
do you basically just need to reserve 16g worth of cap, assuming all these guys are active 16g, then get any savings rolled over into the next year?

here's joel corry's rundown of each team in the league - note the seahawks, niners

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...r-team-structures-deals----and-why-it-matters

couple nuggets from that article
Gosder Cherilus' contract triggered an obscure salary cap rule, the 50 Percent Down Rule, because his second-year base salary ($1 million in 2014) was less than half his first year base salary ($5.5 million in 2013). The $4.5 million difference between the two salaries is being treated as signing bonus and prorated over his five-year deal ($900,000 annually).

The Raiders didn't get true pay-as-you-go treatment with the five-year, $30 million contract Austin Howard signed. Since his $7 million roster bonus was only one day after he signed his contract, it's being classified as a signing bonus under the cap and prorated for five years ($1.4 million annually on the cap). At least three days must elapse between a contract's signing and a roster bonus for it to avoid being treated as signing bonus.

The Texans deviated from their usual contract structure with Brian Cushing's deal. It contains signing and option bonuses. Hefty per-game roster bonuses were required with Cushing ($1.25 million each in 2014-2019) and Schaub ($1 million in each of the past three years) because of injury concerns. Foster also has per-game roster bonuses.

Per-game roster bonuses are a requirement with Green Bay. Clay Matthews and Rodgers have $500,000 and $600,000 of per-game roster bonuses in their contract extension years.

Cutler has $2.5 million in per-game roster bonuses in the later years of his deal because of his injury history.

Last edited:
http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=1856
is my blog about the Patriots incentives.

thx -- was going to ask if it was a ltbe/nltbe thing, but then couldn't figure a weekly bonus working like that.
since the cap is so fluid does it really matter, though, about saving a cushion?
cap flows freely between years -- I can roll over unused cushion, or dip into next year if I don't have enough cushion.

if I roll over 5m that's great for 2016, but at the expense of 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes