PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thought on the Offense - 8:57 Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, just wow. We were looking to have one of the scariest offenses in league history. One that could potentially rival the 2007 offense. We were going to have to keep 7 receivers just to keep this depth and that was including a tough cut already.

Fast forward a month and a half later. Gone are Gaffney, Branch, Stallworth, Ocho, and Gonzalez. There are some teams that would like to have those five themselves as their wide receivers.

So, Edelman is our #3 receiver after all. Any of the Edelcritics going to own up?

I too have had to listen to the Tavon Wilson and Julian Edelman haters, for far too long. You were mistaken, get over it!;););)

I would feel more comfortable if we had one more receiver such as branch on the roster, but it looks better than last years. A deep threat is nice but I hated our running game maybe even more. Now that BJGE is gone, every running play feels like it has a chance to be a big run. And all of these tight ends have to help our running game. I just wish shiancoe had actually played a game in the preseason.

Last edited:
I suspect that we will sign a veteran backup after Game 1, but that player may or may not be active. In any case, I would not sit Welker, Lloyd, Gronkowski, or Hernandez unless one were injured or if a 3rd TE was brought in. The need for a 3rd wide receiver is only in case of injuries.

It is nice enough to talk about Branch or Gaffney, and we could use the death. But we shouldn't delude ourselves. Lloyd is the #2 WR and the 3rd WR is the 6th target at best in this offense.

I would feel more comfortable if we had one more receiver such as branch on the roster, but it looks better than last years. A deep threat is nice but I hated our running game maybe even more. Now that BJGE is gone, every running play feels like it has a chance to be a big run. And all of these tight ends have to help our running game. I just wish shiancoe had actually played a game in the preseason.

so what happens when the defense does not worry about the deep ball and just covers underneath... just see tapes of sb 46 and the jets game 2 years ago
If Lloyd produces for McDaniels this year like he did for him in '10 then Lloyd will make defenses pay attention with the deep ball.

Back in '10 Lloyd trailed only M Wallace in receptions made over 40 yards downfield. Lloyd also averaged a whopping 18.8 YPC in that '10 season. To put this into perspective, the consummate deep threat, Randy Moss, only once exceeded 18.8 YPC and has a career average of 15.6 YPC.

If opposing defenses don't respect Lloyd deep I suspect they'll pay dearly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back