PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thought just crossed my mind: would Pats sign Gholston to minimum contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatFan1932

On the Roster
Reaction score
For good or bad, can you see them signing Gholston to minimum and seeing what they can do with him? Smokescreen or not they seemed high on him during the draft, and its not like he is high risk with money down. Just a thought regarding someone that is not a superstar or immediate starter,but might be a surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Thought just crossed my mind

Vernon Gholston doesn't deserve to be in the NFL at all. 3 years and zero sacks.

Actually ... if he could put on another 25 pounds he could be a Jarvis Green style player. He is not a real DE and he is not an OLB. could he possibly be a role playing inner rusher like Jarvis was???

For the vet minimum I would give him a shot ... he is fast and strong ... on a straight path.

He is not a decent special teams player also.
Special teams and situational inside pass rusher could be worth the vet minimum.

Even if he backed up Mike Wright ... when Mike went down we had nobody to replace him.

Last edited:

By all means I am talking about with a minimum contract and just kicking the tires and seeing if he was just used wrong or too much.

Edge in the fact if he got his first sack as a patriot it would be another "FU" to the Jester organization!!! :D

By all means I am talking about with a minimum contract and just kicking the tires and seeing if he was just used wrong or too much.

Edge in the fact if he got his first sack as a patriot it would be another "FU" to the Jester organization!!! :D

Its a pipe dream but imagine if he was signed by the Pats as a vet minimum FA and had a breakout year? Nice job, Rex.

Last edited:

Even if he backed up Mike Wright ... when Mike went down we had nobody to replace him.

:idontgetit: How does signing Gholston solve that problem?

Last edited:

:idontgetit: How does signing Gholston solve that problem?

Mike Wright is our inside pass rusher amongst other things.
We need to develop another player to also play that role.
maybe we already have that player ... one of the rookies ... maybe not.

Last edited:

For good or bad, can you see them signing Gholston to minimum and seeing what they can do with him? Smokescreen or not they seemed high on him during the draft, and its not like he is high risk with money down. Just a thought regarding someone that is not a superstar or immediate starter,but might be a surprise.
The only indication of the Patriots being high on a draft choice is if they select him.
The MEDIA and FANS tied Gholston to the Pats. That does not mean they were 'high on him'.
We don't have a big history of signing players who have failed miserably, even at the minimum

He didn't find a role on the Jets because he didn't care. No reason to think he'll change.

The only indication of the Patriots being high on a draft choice is if they select him.
The MEDIA and FANS tied Gholston to the Pats. That does not mean they were 'high on him'.
We don't have a big history of signing players who have failed miserably, even at the minimum

We currently have G Warren playing this year and he has not done much in the past (I Think), but definitely stepped up and exceeded expectations this year for us.

Not to mention the flier on Starks (even traded for him), Mike Vrabel, JJ Stokes, are a few more I can think of them trying, although Mike Vrabel I don't think was picked in the first 4 rounds of the draft, but the other two definitely we round one or two guys and could be classified as busts given a shot.

I can pass on Gholston and am willing to take the miniscule risk that another team picks him up for a breakout season. If the guy had anything to show, he would have done it over 3 years of practices and games. Rex does know defensive players...give him credit where its due.

This would just be a waste of time and an added negative would be a plethora of Ghoston threads polluting this forum.

A big no from me....but not going to sweat it either way.

He would be worth a shot just in case he is one of those players that know that there contract prevents them from being cut. the bulb might come on, but in that case, is he the type of player that you would want.

AD was a star in that system and he sucked here why would the pats want a guy that cant even rush the passer... how can he set the edge read the offense and cover TE's with the pats

I'm not against the idea, but I just don't see how he'd fit or help in any way. For all the talk of him being a situational pass rusher, he doesn't actually do that well at the NFL level. But maybe the change of scenery helps, or being cut will turn the light bulb on. I wouldn't bet on it though.

We currently have G Warren playing this year and he has not done much in the past (I Think), but definitely stepped up and exceeded expectations this year for us.

G. Warren had 3.5 sacks this year. That would be 3.5 more then Gholston has in his career.

Zero production, zero motor, zero passion for the game. Sounds like a BB guy to me.

Seriously, though, why even waste the time bringing him in? Three years' worth of tape says he's a joke.

Like I said just a thought, not a starter, not even a definite to make the team, but the type of Jag signing to see what they can get out of him. Just got sick of hearing all the Fitzgerald, (or any other big name that will prob be franchised and cost to much in money and/or trade compensation)

AD was a star in that system and he sucked here

That is a great misconception around these parts and one that from a productivity standpoint, is emphatically wrong.

why would the pats want a guy that cant even rush the passer... how can he set the edge read the offense and cover TE's with the pats

When Colvin went down after the Indy game, BB put him back at OLB and he then went on to record 8 sacks in the last 10 games of the 07 season. In 08, he netted 5 in 9 games. Essentially in 19 games at OLB, he recorded 13 sacks in 19 games which translates into an 11 sack year.

As long as the character issues check out, anytime a pass rusher goes on the market you break the bank for him. Period. With a strong locker room in place, AD was fine here in 07 and 08. When the locker room leaders left in 09 he became a problem but more importantly, he lost his physical skills.

Last edited:

When you're a Jet
You're a Jet all the way
From your first training camp
To your last dyin' day

Note: this applies to Jet draft picks not FAs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes