Welcome to PatsFans.com

Though the coaches need to correct the issues going forward, the players must execute

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Born_a_Patriot, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Born_a_Patriot

Born_a_Patriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Though the coaches need to correct the issues going foward, the players mus excecute the game plan. Wilfork on D&H: 'We can't hit a panic button'

2. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 10 / -13

Re: Though the coaches need to correct the issues going forward, the players must exe

I am hoping Butler grew 6 inches this week
  3. stinebot

stinebot Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

#91 Jersey

Re: Though the coaches need to correct the issues going forward, the players must exe

I think what Wilfork is saying could be true. You can't take what the Jets players said as the gospel truth (and not just because they are Jets players).

Say you and I are boxing and the first five rounds I always punch you in the body. Then before round six your corner man tells you "This guy is gonna switch it up, watch for head shots", but you ignore defending the head and continue looking for body shots as I punch you in the face. It will sure as heck look to me as if you made no adjustments when in fact you were instructed to defend the head shot and either couldn't or just didn't execute properly. That is not the fault of your corner man.

I know that's oversimplified, but why couldn't it be true?
  4. stinebot

stinebot Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

#91 Jersey

I agree, but what is the alternative really? Does anyone think BB puts together a game plan for the D in which he plans on doing a few things over and over regardless of what the other team does? Is he so conceited and out of touch that he says "No, my game plan is working perfectly. Change nothing"?

If that is the case, look forward to going back to the glory days of 4-12 or worse.
  5. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +403 / 1 / -2

I'd say it's split about 50/50 between what I would called experienced and non-experienced players on defense:

Experienced:
    Wilfork
    Warren
    Wright
    TBC
    Meriweather
    Sanders

Inexperienced:
    Brace
    Pryor
    Love
    Mayo
    Spikes
    Guyton
    Cunningham
    Ninkovich
    McCourty
    Butler
    Wilhite
    Chung

Wilhite, Mayo, and Guyton are debatable.
  6. Born_a_Patriot

Born_a_Patriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I just can't fathom Bill not making adjustments. What would the reasoning be behind it. Do you think he is going senile?
  7. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +403 / 1 / -2

I agree. The way I see it, in game adjustments are never really as on the fly as we perceive. More likely, we go into a game with a master game plan, and a few contingency plans for various aspects of the game. For example, our main defensive strategy may be to play a soft zone on early downs, then blitz heavy on 3rd down. If that doesn't work, we're going to switch to our more aggressive early down plan, but it's still a plan that's been worked on in practice, not something that's made up mid game.

The advantage of experienced, veteran players is you can have more of these contingency plans in place. Players that have developed good instincts for the game and know the system are able to retain more options and change to them on the fly easier. With our defense (and offense to some extent), being so young in a lot of areas, it limits how many options we can load up going into a game, as well as reduces the chances that those backup plans will be as effective.

The coaching is not excused, as they need to develop better initial plans, as well as more effective contingencies, but the players at their disposal limit how creative they can be. And, as always, players gotta play.
  8. TheComeback

TheComeback Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No, you're sounding like someone who's never played a sport in their life. Can't tell you how many teams I've been on where the coach says to do one thing and the players simply don't listen to them until it's been drilled in over and over again. A lot of these guys are 20-24 years old, not exactly grown men yet.
  9. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,447 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

The adjustments were made. The adjustments that were made have been pointed out by members of this forum as well as Wilfork, Brady, and Belichick. Face it, maverick4, your constant rehashing of lack of adjustments is just wrong. It's been proven wrong time and time again both on this forum and through comments in the media. Now, unless you think that Belichick wouldn't say anything less than positive about his coaching staff because of a lack of testicular fortitude, then you should pretty much be able to see that the adjustments were there while execution was not.

Your points have been pounded into the ground time and time again, mav. It's time to let it go.
  10. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,447 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

I'm not ruling out the fact that the coaching needs to improve. But it wasn't the coaching the cost the team the game this past weekend. The coaching didn't even have a big hand in costing the team the game this weekend, either. However, when the head coach, the quarterback, and the leader on the defense cite execution specifically, that should tell you, Goldman, and the rest of the forum on "SCHEME!!!1" kick something. I guess not, though.
  11. JMarr

JMarr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

If what you're saying is true, and scheme/adjustments have played little part in the defensive problems, that it's mostly on the players, then we're in for a long season.

Coming out of TC, I was hopeful BB/Patricia could scheme to cover some of our weakness at OLB and DE, and the inexperience of Spikes. But losing Ty was obviously big, losing Bodden was huge, and the way Butler has struggled last week was a disaster. Add that to Mayo and Merriweather's inability to step up at all so far, and what you have is a VERY medicore defense. Vince is the only truly above average player on the entire D right now.

A scheming miracle by BB is the only thing that will save our defense from being made the opponent's b*tch for the next 14 weeks.
  12. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

When a guy like Barry freaking Switzer wins a SB Championship you know its the players MUCH MORE than the coaches that should get the majority of blame for the loss and kudos for the wins
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  13. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,447 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

Most people expected a learning curve this season. It didn't happen in Week 1. It DID happen in Week 2. Hopefully, the guys can grow up fast.
  14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +887 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

I corrected it for you ...

You could take the honorable way out now and just ban yourself.

there are no other fans in the league who would be concerned for Bill's health ... very few.

Go with your head high and ride off into the sunset of the forum where your real team discusses the game.
  15. Buchanty

Buchanty Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -1

What a horrible week on the board - and we laughed at the Jets message board meltdown after game 1, kettle meet pot.

I can't wait for the game on Sunday when we get to see how the team is evolving instead of counting it stillborn as some of the posters here seem to think. Sunday when we can put aside a painful loss to a really good defensive team riding momentum and a fan inspired cacaphony that numbed our offense. The Jets played better full stop, and no amount of finger pointing is going to change that. What will be interesting to watch is how the team responds, as coaches, as players and as professionals.

There are still 14 regular season games to play and so far I have not seen a dominant team in the league..... the window of opportunity lies open, I hope we take advantage.
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +887 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

After the first game of the season vs Buffalo when Milloy was cut ... :ugh:

[​IMG]
  17. pats_premi

pats_premi Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Watching the replay of the game, I noticed that most of the completions to Keller happend while there were two or more defenders were near him. I guess if the communication between the player is better and if the scheme allows the players to jump routes, then I guess some of these could have been interceptions. I think it is encouraging that the defense is in position to make plays.
  18. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

OFFENSE
    The offense has added only one key element: new tight ends. Otherwise, we basically have what we had last year. The tight ends are "growing up fast". Yes, they are not able to score even once in the second half. No, this isn't a matter of growing up. The offense should be better than last year, by far, given the fact that Brady is healthy.

DEFENSE
    They are what they are. And now they play without Bodden and Ty Warren. The defense should not be expected to carry the team in crunch time. Yes, they need to "grow up" by the time playoffs come. However, the reality is that defensive players (especially rookies) often take more than a year to be comfortable in Belichick's system.

BOTTOM LINE
    The offense should expect to need to score 20 points to win, and to understand that sometimes they will need to stage comebacks in the 4th quarter. The offense should expect to need to score 10 points in the second half.

Don't we recall times when we used to say we would be fine giving Brady the ball with 2 minutes left, down by a couple oven 6. Who has that confidence in the offense? In the end, Brady is NOT yet the Brady of 2003-2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.