Welcome to PatsFans.com

Thompson: I'll Ban Abortions

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Aug 18, 2007.

1. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Thompson said he would work to overturn Roe vs Wade, calling it bad law and bad medicine by the Supreme Court. He also stated he would call for a constitutional amendment banning gay marriages. Does not think that an individual state should have this right.
    This guy just lost any chance of my voting for him. It's not that I am for or oppose abortion or gay marriage, it's how he determines what is right and wrong. A constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, yea, that's the most important issue we are facing, lets not have any comment on that quagmire going on overseas. The most important issue is getting that Christian right vote, forget about the old Republican philosophy of states rights.
  2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah... I'm sure you were really considering it in the first place... yeah... sure... :rolleyes:

Ever notice that when a liberal supports something, but the majority of Americans oppose it, they always fall back on the tired old "We have more important things to deal with" argument..?
  3. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Link? I'd prefer to read his quote for myself if you don't mind.
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Agree about States Rights, unfortunately that horse left the barn long ago as the imperial Supreme Court evolved over the past 100 years.

I missed the part where he said that banning gay marriage was his top priority, do you have a source for that? It sounded as if he was stating his position on these issues, not prioritizing them relative to other issues.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +554 / 2 / -9

It's called playing both sides of the coin,
    No Abortion for liberals
    No Homosexual Marriage for Neo Cons

Politicians, they are all alike.
    I will hold my nose and vote for him, watching Obama/Hillary/Edwards makes me throw up.
    :bricks:
  6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Harry I wasn't aware that libs were against Abortion now that is a new one to me...;)
  7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +554 / 2 / -9

Jesus Christ, what did I do :singing: I was drinking again last night, now when I vote for him I won't hold my nose, "Go Get Em Fred"
  8. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

9. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

First, I do not vote strictly on party classification. Do you ever vote Democrat? Secondly, I've always believed in a states rights, something that was a Republican platform. You don't think the issue of war is more important then a gay marriage? Evidently, this might be a candidate to your liking.
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Where did Thompson say that gay marriage is more important than the war on terror?
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +554 / 2 / -9

Hillary/Edwards/Obama have two or three debates on Homosexuality, have they had any debates on what they will do about the Muslim Terrorists that want to kill us?
  12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nope. I live in the liberal northeast where even the Republicans are too liberal for my liking, so I certainly won't vote for a democrat. I could see myself voting for a democrat in a conservative state... maybe someone like Heath Shuler or a Sam Nunn type.
    I think that's a ridiculous comparison. Actually, as I've said many times, the #1 most important issue to me is illegal immigration. That is what is destroying our country right now. Like all great empires, America is being destroyed from within.
    Yes, he may very well be. When time comes, I think it's just going to be a matter of deciding between him and Romney.
  13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They're too afraid of Fox News, so you think they could ever stand up to terrorists..? We'll be seeing the crescent moon over the White House by summer 2009.
  14. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the link. I wasn't trying to be a prick, I just prefer to read the links for myself.
  15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +440 / 5 / -2

Why are there blonde haired white kids on the Saudi Arabia little league team? Have I been drinking or is what I'm seeing real? What kid in Saudi Arabia is named Underwood? :eek:
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +440 / 5 / -2

I'm really not sure where you get your conclusions from:

...and would push for a constitutional amendment that protects states from being forced to honor gay marriages performed in other states.

I don’t think that one state ought to be able to pass a law requiring gay marriage or allowing gay marriage and have another state be required to follow along,” Thompson told CNN’s John King in an interview Friday.

What he is cleary saying here is that he believes in states rights. NH shouldn't have to honor Massachusetts' gay marriages per say. If one state has to honor another states laws, then no state has independent protection.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Thanks for the quote RW this makes it sound like Thompson is trying to strengthen states rights which should make scout happy since he is for states rights . ;)
  18. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

He didn't say gay marriage was more important then the Iraq War. He made statements voicing his concerns on gay marriage, Roe vs Wade, and states rights, while not commenting on time lines for the Iraq War. I'm sure he has his priorities in the right place. We don't need a constitutional amendment pertaining to gay marriage, not that it would ever pass as it doesn't have the numbers, or in other words, in his opinion, he doesn't care for gay marriage regardless of what the American people think (who do not want a constitutional amendment), or what legislature a state has passed. This is a dangerous man, and we don't need another dysfunctional person in the White House.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +440 / 5 / -2

He was saying that he would support a federal amendment that prohibited one state from having to recognize the gay marriage of another. i.e. Mass. has gay marriages, NH does not. With an amendment, some judge in some court can't force NH to honor a Mass. gay marriage. He's not saying he wants a federal amendment that bans gay marriage altogether, though I'd guess he may personally.

I'm big on states rights. I think they've, states that is, have been losing them more and more with each passing decade.
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +554 / 2 / -9

Mohammad Jabber Underwood
    :singing: