PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thompkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foot fractures are very slow to heal. That's why he and Edelman got screws interpreted through surgery. Edelman had a setback before the season. We don't know that Dobson has, they are just being careful, I bet

My interpretation of the situation aligns with this.

Tompkins wil be on the roster, bet on it. As far as Dobson; I bet he plays early in the season, this shouldn't take long to heal. Yeh it's a screw, i just had A plate 9 screws in my ankle and a cable through my tib and fib about two weeks ago and I'll be back on my dirt bike and MTB in 6 weeks. I think they will be cautious but he should be fine in another 3-6 weeks or earlier. That's my bet. Frigin sports world makes a big deal out of stuff that shouldn't, I think they are just trying to find something negative to talk about pats....

Tompkins wil be on the roster, bet on it. As far as Dobson; I bet he plays early in the season, this shouldn't take long to heal. Yeh it's a screw, i just had A plate 9 screws in my ankle and a cable through my tib and fib about two weeks ago and I'll be back on my dirt bike and MTB in 6 weeks. I think they will be cautious but he should be fine in another 3-6 weeks or earlier. That's my bet. Frigin sports world makes a big deal out of stuff that shouldn't, I think they are just trying to find something negative to talk about pats....

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Like I said, I don't really get the overreaction just yet, although I can appreciate and agree with the apprehension at the position itself to some degree. Now..if it's the 3rd preseason game and Dobson has yet to see the field, then we can start to talk about in season PUP and Kenbrell Thompkins taking over his spot until the return of health.

In the meantime, Thompkins is the obvious choice to see these reps in my opinion, due to the fact that he plays both the X and Z. Who else would seriously be in there instead? There really aren't many options.

To all the KT doubters? Checkmate. Game Over:

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/belichick-thompkins-considerably-ahead-last-year

After today's fight:

".....
Both players were miffed, and Browner's emotion boiled over into a heated exchange with receivers coach Chad O'Shea later in the practice. Browner explained that Thompkins' skill at the line contributed to his frustration level.
"[Thompkins] has got routes at the line of scrimmage that are unmatchable," Browner said. "Some guys aren't as quick as that dude so it's been competitive going against that guy. But it's only going to make me better."
That a veteran corner -- a former Pro Bowler at that -- thinks that highly of Thompkins speaks to the leaps and bounds the second-year receiver has made in 12 months."

Then, from Mr Effusive:

"Kenbrell is a lot better football player than he was a year ago and he came in and he had a real good camp last year," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "He impressed us, even starting back in the spring. He earned that starting position with his good play and his consistency. But this year, he’s way past that.
"Experience has a lot to do with it. His offseason work also has a lot to do with it. He knows what to expect. He has a much better understanding so he can play with more confidence, more aggressiveness, just generally play faster because of the knowledge of our offense and the expectations and the experience that he’s gained. He’s having another good camp this year. He’s off to a good start, but way considerably ahead of last year, as he should be, as all second-year players should be."

How much more is needed to understand that the guy is making the team and (unless injured) will have a role during the regular season?

How much more is needed to understand that the guy is making the team and (unless injured) will have a role during the regular season?

I agree that it is starting to become obvious that he will have some type of role on the team this year. That has become evident only fairly recently though in my opinion.

However, you can't blame anyone for thinking that Dobson, Amendola, and Edelman will be seeing the majority of the reps (along with Gronk, Vereen, running game) if healthy. That isn't even taking into acct the aspect of Brandon LaFell signed as a free agent, or the potential of Josh Boyce to be active as a kick returner. The problem is that only so many can be active on gameday.

It's great to see Thompkins competitive. I do think that he is benefiting from the absence of Aaron Dobson at the moment, which is allowing him to see time with the 1's and extended reps. Let's hope that he runs with this opportunity. How often he ends up active may be another issue, which will be dependent on some of the factors which I spoke of in the above paragraph. It may be possible that there is not enough room for Boyce to be active on kickoff return duty, due to Thompkins' good offseason so far.

To all the KT doubters? Checkmate. Game Over:

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/belichick-thompkins-considerably-ahead-last-year

After today's fight:

".....
Both players were miffed, and Browner's emotion boiled over into a heated exchange with receivers coach Chad O'Shea later in the practice. Browner explained that Thompkins' skill at the line contributed to his frustration level.
"[Thompkins] has got routes at the line of scrimmage that are unmatchable," Browner said. "Some guys aren't as quick as that dude so it's been competitive going against that guy. But it's only going to make me better."
That a veteran corner -- a former Pro Bowler at that -- thinks that highly of Thompkins speaks to the leaps and bounds the second-year receiver has made in 12 months."

Then, from Mr Effusive:

"Kenbrell is a lot better football player than he was a year ago and he came in and he had a real good camp last year," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "He impressed us, even starting back in the spring. He earned that starting position with his good play and his consistency. But this year, he’s way past that.
"Experience has a lot to do with it. His offseason work also has a lot to do with it. He knows what to expect. He has a much better understanding so he can play with more confidence, more aggressiveness, just generally play faster because of the knowledge of our offense and the expectations and the experience that he’s gained. He’s having another good camp this year. He’s off to a good start, but way considerably ahead of last year, as he should be, as all second-year players should be."

I agree that he's pretty much a lock- at this point, TC is more about determining how big a role he'll have in the offense, not whether he'll have one.

Wow, what an impressive statement, coming from a former Pro Bowl CB who has gone up against many of the better WRs in the league.

Remember the last play of the Saints game last year? Thompkins may not have the pedigree but he gets it done. So far this training camp he has gotten compliments from Belichick, Brady, and now Browner. Don't be surprised if Dobson fails to earn top spot over KT. This team is about performance not pedigree and Thomkins is showing improved consistency and skill. At this point Dobson can only hope to match, not surpass unless Thomkins falters, and KT has a big head start. Don't sell him short, BB, TB and Brandon Boomer aren't.

I'm even nearing the point where I'd pronounce the "Base" offense to be Dobson, Edelman, Thompkins, Gronk, and Ridley/Vereen.

I think Amendola, Boyce, and LaFell will be fighting for top backup spots.

Remember the last play of the Saints game last year? Thompkins may not have the pedigree but he gets it done. So far this training camp he has gotten compliments from Belichick, Brady, and now Browner. Don't be surprised if Dobson fails to earn top spot over KT. This team is about performance not pedigree and Thomkins is showing improved consistency and skill. At this point Dobson can only hope to match, not surpass unless Thomkins falters, and KT has a big head start. Don't sell him short, BB, TB and Brandon Boomer aren't.
I agree with all of it except the underlined. Dobson has deep speed and height over KT. He can definitely surpass KT and become the #1 WR.

Put me in the camp that says we have a bunch of seemingly injury-prone WRs, so it might be good to lean toward keeping an extra one ... or it might be the case that the IR decides the depth chart in the first place.

speed and height mean nothing from the tub...and Boyce?...I smell an early cut or IR

I agree with all of it except the underlined. Dobson has deep speed and height over KT. He can definitely surpass KT and become the #1 WR.

Yeah, I was about to say the same. Dobson was really picking up steam before his foot injury. No reason to talk about him like he's lazy or like he doesn't 'get it done.'

All the knowledgeable people say that Kenbril Thompkins best talents lie in evading chucks and disruptions at the start of his routes. i.e. At the Line of Scrimmage.

So is he aided by playing Z WR, or X WR? The "Split End" or X WR must line up ON the LOS. But the Z WR or "Flanker" must line up BEHIND the LOS.

Is he helped more by having a yard or two to get started as a Z? Or is he better off ON the LOS and therefore only needs to evade for 5 instead of 8-or 10
yards before he is untouchable?

OTOH, does it matter much to him? Would it help if he gave a team mate who is less skilled at evading disruption, the better starting position for the good of the team?

Opinions...

speed and height mean nothing from the tub...and Boyce?...I smell an early cut or IR

Why? I haven't heard anything but positives about him.

Wow, talk about a story turning 180 degrees. From KT being manhandled, to a frustrated Browner pushing out of frustration from being outplayed so much...

When defensive back Brandon Browner got in Kenbrell Thompkins face Wednesday, the Patriots receiver didn’t take it personally.

After all, the receiver has been making big play after big play on him and figured the time had come in the training camp one-on-one competition for Browner to rise up. He did, with an interception, his first of training camp and a strip of a ball on another play against Thompkins...
Earlier in practice, during red zone drills, Browner got so frustrated he just pushed Thompkins in the back as he was beaten on a corner route in the end zone. Minutes later, in another passing drill, Browner had seen enough and got physical and loud.

The sparring session caused receivers coach Chad O’Shea to intervene, naturally defending his receiver. Browner didn’t take kindly to that and got in the face of O’Shea.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...-browner-hopefully-we-can-get-better-from-it/

Why? I haven't heard anything but positives about him.

Boyce missed practice today. It's between him and LaFell for the last WR spot IMO. LaFell is showing up, looked good in 1 on 1's today and then there's that 3 mil signing bonus. Boyce could be the odd man out.

If they cut Boyce today I guarantee he would latch on with another team within an hour.

Hard choices ahead indeed for the people that make those decisions.

I think Edelman and Amendola (last year's #1 and #2 most productive WRs) are obviously locks for starting positions, but after that Dobson/Thompkins/LaFell/Boyce will be fighting it out for playing time and different roles. I think it's pretty wide open at this point due to various circumstances.

Dobson--obviously the most talented and has the highest upside, yet has injury issues at the moment

Thompkins--hard worker who has supposedly made progress from year one and would take Dobson's place

LaFell--has to progress and be more consistent, but it's early yet and he's been showing better signs---was also a halfway decent FA signing with experience

Boyce--could be active on gameday due to kickoff return duties, depending on circumstances

I still think they all probably end up making it, to be honest. As always, I think the decisions will be for both the current and the future. The younger player(s) on the bubble may end up benefiting from another year of film study, environment, and practice, and have a bigger role next season when there may not be as much of a logjam.

Of course, one injury will solve this problem just as well, and that's obviously a distinct possibility too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes