Thomase with a Chad Jackson note

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=155591

Rookie Chad Jackson should be in the mix as well, but there are rumblings his absence has as much to do with an inability to learn the playbook as it does with a balky hamstring. Whatever the reason, Jackson hasn’t taken a snap since the Outback Bowl.
This is the closing paragraph in his Deion story. I give Thomase credit for being able to ferret out some breaking news items, but as many have noted, he suffers badly from two afflictions, a Sox coverage hangover and the legendary Boston dump-on-the-home-team-itis.

Point: Jackson is injured.
Point: Injured players do not work with the rest of the team, they work with the trainers and attend meetings.
Point: Football is played on the field and requires repetitions to properly develop your timing and learn your position.

The entire article reeks of "dump-on-the-home-team," and this shot at Jackson is classic. If the kid had practiced with the team it might be a valid consideration, but if your working with the trainers your not running a lot of routes. I have my own doubts about Mr. Jackson based on a very limited data set, but I'm darned if I think this was good reporting.

For shame Mr. Thomase, I have seen you do better and require it of my regular reads. Please reconsider why "rumblings" about a player who hasn't been able to practice are valid. A report that he might be pulling a TO on his rehab is one thing, this report has no sense of balance and is a cheap shot at a rookie in a difficult situation. Join us here and take your cheap shots, please don't put them in your stories.

It's Ron Borges, I already know what is coming out of your mouth, just flush it and we'll all feel better.

tomase posts a lot of info quoting "sources" and "rumblings" without definitive quotes from people..reiss on the other hand doesnt do that and although doesnt give breaking news ..its more accurate.

What about all that jazz about Jackson being "quizzed" on the playbook pre-draft?

I'll say it once again.

TOMASE LIES TO MAKE DEADLINES FOR HIS ARTICLES. HE HAS NO SOURCES AND WHENEVER HE ASKS BELICHICK OR ANY PATRIOTS STAFF MEMBER A QUESTION THEY IGNORE HIM OR GIVE HIM A VAGUE ANSWER.

TOMASE IS A JOKE!!!

SeanBruschi54 said:
I'll say it once again.

TOMASE LIES TO MAKE DEADLINES FOR HIS ARTICLES. HE HAS NO SOURCES AND WHENEVER HE ASKS BELICHICK OR ANY PATRIOTS STAFF MEMBER A QUESTION THEY IGNORE HIM OR GIVE HIM A VAGUE ANSWER.

TOMASE IS A JOKE!!!

I think you said all there is to say

And here is Reiss's take (from today's Patriots Notebook) http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/09/02/mincey_isnt_the_pick/

'Rookie receiver Chad Jackson, who has participated in only three practices, continues to rehab his injured hamstring. ``Sometimes it heals in a week, sometimes it takes a month or two," said David Canter, Jackson's agent. ``He's killing himself to try to get back. Everyone is doing everything in their power to get him back, and now it's just a matter of everyone being patient." . . . '

OK, it's Jackson's agent, not BB or Mike Woicik. But it IS a source.

> but there are rumblings his absence has as much to do with an inability to learn the playbook as it does with a balky hamstring

The Pat's would never hold a player recovering from an injury off the field because he didn't know the playbook. He would at least be out there for warm-ups, running etc. which Reiss would report.

It's unfortunate there are certain elements in the Boston sports press who have nothing better to do then make up malicious gossip.

Last edited:
How could anyone know if he's learning the playbook if he can't even practice? The difficulty in the playbook, imo, is applying the different route choices to the right situations, something you can only tell *in those situations*.

Give me accuracy before "breaking news" anyday. Thomase's like the Sox site Boston Dirt Dogs ... breaks a story once in a while in an "even a broken clock is right twice a day" kind of way, but you never know which is accurate and which isn't when you read his stories, so it doesn't do any good.

lobster said:
>
It's unfortunate there are certain elements in the Boston sports press who have nothing better to do then make up malicious gossip.

:horn: This has got to be the understatement of the year!!!! Couldn't agree more!

CrazyDave said:
What about all that jazz about Jackson being "quizzed" on the playbook pre-draft?
Hate to repeat myself, but...
This guy can handle the playbook obviously.

SVN said:
tomase posts a lot of info quoting "sources" and "rumblings" without definitive quotes from people..reiss on the other hand doesnt do that and although doesnt give breaking news ..its more accurate.

Agree totally. Tomase is wrong alot. Just like the Seymour is sitting out because of the contract timing. BB totally shot that down. I like Tomase, but he's starting to shoot from the hip, and almost make stuff up.

Growing up Boston had the best writers in the country. Now, there mostly jokes. It sucks!

lobster said:
> but there are rumblings his absence has as much to do with an inability to learn the playbook as it does with a balky hamstring

The Pat's would never hold a player recovering from an injury off the field because he didn't know the playbook. He would at least be out there for warm-ups, running etc. which Reiss would report.

You know, that's a great point. If a player was having trouble learning they'd have him out there LEARNING. God, Felger sucks. Borges is pathetic. Tomase makes crap up. ARGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God for PatsFans.com. I get my best stuff here.

SVN said:

Well it's about time that ass-clown "I'm Ron Borges" to pipe up and tell us what a horrible reporter Mike Reiss is.

Question:

Does practice make learning the playbook easier or harder?

The insinuation that an inability to learn the playbook is what would keep a rookie completely under cover of the night is downright moronic.

SVN said:

You mean unlike Thomas reporting that Bruschi had a broken wrist, right?

Willie55 said:
Well it's about time that ass-clown "I'm Ron Borges" to pipe up and tell us what a horrible reporter Mike Reiss is.

No, not if you want to read a 1,200 word game story on Troy Brown taking two snaps at quarterback. That's great reporting.

Bostonian1962 said:
You know, that's a great point. If a player was having trouble learning they'd have him out there LEARNING. God, Felger sucks. Borges is pathetic. Tomase makes crap up. ARGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God for PatsFans.com. I get my best stuff here.

What do you get here? Links to things that guys like the ones you mentioned are saying? Or suggestions that we should contact the Patriots front office like they give a **** what people on this board have to say? Also, what did Thomase make up? God, some of you guys are so blind, it doesn't even make you fans in my opinion. Being a fan, if a reporter says Maroney is hurt, that concerns me. I don't just start with, "That fat slob Thomase is just trying to make a name for himself." It's well known he has medical sources from his days with the Sox but some of you would rather close your eyes to any possible problems with the team while you mutter, "In Bill we trust," along with Mike Reiss.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
That's great reporting.
"Reporting," what a concept.

Courtesy flush please.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
You mean unlike Thomas reporting that Bruschi had a broken wrist, right?

That record is broken. You play the same song over and over.

You should change your user name to "I'm Wrong and Boring".

I'll take Mike Reiss over Tomase every time. And a good point was made above about the innane questions Tomase asks at press conferences. Right after Borges, Felger is the absolute worst. In his early days of being on the Big Show, I thought he made some valid points, and I enjoyed listening to him. Since that time, he's tried to be contrarian in everything he says and writes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back