Welcome to PatsFans.com

Thomas Jefferson speaks

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

So many have hailed this man as the greatest of the founding fathers, so let's read what he had to say on issues relevant today:

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe,
    we shall become as corrupt as Europe.
    Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
    who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes.
    A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
    Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
    government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense
    of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

<>

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results
    from too much government.
    Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear
    arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
    patriots and tyrants.
    Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which
    he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
    Thomas Jefferson

In light of the present financial crisis, it's interesting to read what Thomas
    Jefferson said in
    1802:

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than
    standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control
    the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the
    banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all
    property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers
    conquered.'
  2. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I think Thomas Jefferson was the least admirable of any of the founding fathers. He's hailed as a great one, but I don't put him in that standing.
    Slavery: was a hypocrite.
    Vendetta: spent millions on a grudge against Aaron Burr.
    Backstabber: Stuck it to President Adams as his VP. Wrote fictitious accounts concerning Alexander Hamiltion under an anonymous name.
    Possibly a murderer: a former lover's new boyfriend found dead in a gutter after a confrontation.
    His legacy has become so large over the years, but as you read up on him, he's not that honorable.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

Now the left wing nutty democrats are going to hate him many of them will stop naming their children "Jefferson"
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

TJ wasa a wildman who resisted the gentlemanly allures of being a conformist. He advocated a constant state of revolution. He could care less what everyone in "high society" thought of him. He was the embodiment of the American experiment, IMO.

Anyone who signed the Constitution and permitted slavery was a "hypocrit" - Washington included. It was the way things were at the time, however abhorent. Women couldn't vote, either.

I agree that he was a back-stabber in regards to Hamilton and Adams, in particular, but those two resolved their issues in the end. There was always a necessary tension between the two philosophically. They both were right in many ways and wrong in others. The two characters laid the foundation for the experiment early on and we still feel the effects of their relationship today.

TJ would be excoriated for his temperment and rejection of todays societal norms. He would have been outcast from the political process and relegated to lunatic status like Paul or Kucinich are. They don't play the game and neither did TJ. We owe him a lot for that.
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Nice deflection.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

See What I Mean
    Tommy's on the left wing sh!t list now and the old standby "Slavery" is being thrown around again.

Slavery at one time was a way of life all over the world it wasn't just Alabama that was doing it, slavery started in Europe long, long before "Massah" came along, Africa was selling it's own people to slave traders before Columbus was born.

Jefferson was a man of his time, if he lived today he would condem Slavery just as it is condemed by most all decent people in the world.

America soon saw Slavery was wrong and America fought to correct it and did.
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +372 / 3 / -15

What do you think Barak Obama is doing? He's the one starting the new revolution. So are you with us or against us?
  8. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Wasn't a deflection at all. I replied to the Fog's first sentence. I do not consider him one of the finest founding fathers, which set up the whole post, which would be a false premise.
  9. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Not everyone was in favor of slavery and some of those who were, at least showed some compassion. Washington was a huge slave owner, but educated his slaves, refused to break up families, and freed them in the end. Not that I'm commending him, but a far cry from Jefferson. Adams did not own slaves. Franklin spoke out against slavery, but brokered them. At least it troubled his conscious later in life. Burr also spoke out against slavery, but like the other hypocrites, owned slaves. Hamilton (who IMO doesn't receive enough recognition) opposed slavery and did not own any (although married into a family which had slaves). There were a number of advocacy groups (Quakers) who opposed slavery, so although was abundant, it wasn't without controversy. T.J. by far, the biggest hypocrite.
  10. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

except he voted for the bailout so that baffles me:confused: