PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thomas, Hughes, Gerhart, Carrington

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
How would you feel if we drafted the following with our first five picks?

WR Thomas
OLB Hughes
RB Gerhart
DE Carrington
TE ****erson

I don't hate that draft but I don't particularly like it either.

1. I don't think WR is a 1st round need. The Pats should trade back and get more picks if we go offense in the first round.
2. I'm not yet sold on Gerhart as being worth a 2nd, and I'm not sure if he is anything more than a Peyton Hillis (an athletic FB but not a RB).
3. I think ****erson is more of an H-back than a true tight end. I like his athleticism but I don't think he offers the complete package at tight end.

One coach once said - don't give me wide receivers that can't catch. (I believe it was Weiss, and I agree).

And I'll say - don't give me a tight end who can't block.
I want a complete package type of guy at TE if I'm going to spend an early pick.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be to thrilled but I wouldn't be angry, just a little disappointed.

I'd be happy with Thomas, Hughes and Carrington. Not sure about the others.

That draft would be kinda...disappointing.

I love the Hughes pick as I believe he will end up being the best pass rusher to come out of this draft. When you watch his film, he plays with an explosiveness none of the other DEs-OLBs seem to have. Also, I wouldn't mind us taking two of the 3-4 hybrids in this draft (Hughes/Graham, Hughes/Sapp, Hughes/Kindle). I see a lot of positives of potentially having two pass rushing OLBs locked up for 5 yrs at pretty affordable prices. Since it's been so long since the Pats have had success drafting a pass rusher, why not double our chances of hitting on one, and possibly come out of this draft with 2?

I'm not a big Thomas fan, but it really isn't his fault. I just haven't seen enough play making ability out of him to justify a 1st round pick. That has a lot to do with the offense he was in. He seems to be a guy that takes awhile to get up to speed. In the Pats offense, I've always liked the quick twitch / sudden burst guys better. I'd rather take Hughes right away, and wait for a WR in the 2nd (Tate??). Also, if we are going to take a long striding, big WR, I'd rather see us go with Benn.

Once again, I don't see the quickness out of Gerhart to justify taking him in the 2nd round. I'd rather take my chances with Best if we're taking one in the 2nd.

Love the Carringon pick.

You and me think alike Mgteixh, I'd be thrilled with those 5.

WR Thomas
OLB Hughes
RB Gerhart
DE Carrington
TE ****erson

Hate to take a WR with the first pick due to the high historical bust rate at the position with first rounders. Specifically, I'm a little concerned that Thomas did not play in a pro style offense ( option ) and has never run a full route tree.

Hughes is very interesting, I think thats a good choice.

I like Gerhart as well. Too me he is Larry Csonka. Probably a short career with the hits he takes, but I still like the pick.

Prefer Corey Wooten at DE. 6'6" 280, stacks the run and had 10 sacks his junior year when fully healthy.

****erson, I have a real problem with sizewise. He measured 6'1" 3/8, 226 at the combine. Even too small for an H back IMHO. How about Hernandez from Florida? He measured 6'2" 3/8, 245 at the combine. He had more production ( 68 catches, vs 49 for ****erson ), put up 225 LBs, 30 times, vs ****erson's 24 reps. He was fast as 4.64, though certainly not ****erson's 4.40.

Prefer Corey Wooten at DE. 6'6" 280, stacks the run and had 10 sacks his junior year when fully healthy.
Yea if the Pats pass on Odrick, I think Wooten is the next best 3-4 DE in the draft.

I would prefer to select Thomas in the second round.

Everson Griffen is someone else who could be available as a choice besides Hughes.

Honestly, from watching a 2009 highlight of clips, Gerhart doesn't impress me from initial viewing. Either Stanford has a really good offensive line (those were some big holes). Or, the defenses in these clips aren't that good and aren't good individual tacklers. He looked fast, bulldozing away but, as said, how much of that was to do with the wide open spacing his offensive line created and simply poor tackling on the part of some of the defenses his team played against. I'm not adverse to New England drafting him but not as their first drafted running back, and certainly not that high. I still have an interest in either Montario Hardesty or Ben Tate.

Carrington is interesting... Like Austen Lane and Clifton Geathers.

NFL Network's Mike Mayock expects the Patriots to strongly consider Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas (foot) if he's available at No. 22 overall.

Mayock points to Randy Moss' age (33) and Bill Belichick's eye for on-tape talent when calling Thomas an option; the former Yellow Jacket isn't expected to work out before the draft. Thomas is a deep threat like Moss, in addition to being a pro-ready blocking wide receiver. Mayock also thinks Dez Bryant could be a Patriot if his draft stock is truly in free fall.

Demaryius Thomas

That's what I see with Gerhart, pretty much a straight line player, he works his butt off, but doesn't appear to have that lateral ability ala Correy Dillon. I think he will have a reasonable NFL career but I don't think he is as good as the older CD.

Stanford did have a good OL as I understand things.

There was actually an ad out there about a year ago that had a classic CD run, where he just kept his feet moving, he twisted and turned, all the time leaning forward till the end zone. That's what I am looking for, just keep moving, along with some power.

Honestly, from watching a 2009 highlight of clips, Gerhart doesn't impress me from initial viewing. Either Stanford has a really good offensive line (those were some big holes). Or, the defenses in these clips aren't that good and aren't good individual tacklers. He looked fast, bulldozing away but, as said, how much of that was to do with the wide open spacing his offensive line created and simply poor tackling on the part of some of the defenses his team played against. I'm not adverse to New England drafting him but not as their first drafted running back, and certainly not that high. I still have an interest in either Montario Hardesty or Ben Tate.

Demaryius Thomas

will if the first round pick is going to be a offensive. player then i want Ryan Mathews, Dez Bryant, or Mike Iupati,

if it's not one of dose 3 guys then i want defense. or trade out of the frist round. and get a 2th and 3rd.

Except for Thomas, I like it.

For the RBBC system, I see Gerhart as a plug-in replacement for Fred Taylor (less injury prone and fresher legs) and ****erson as a replacement for Faulk - but not as a TE, really. If we're looking for a receiving TE, I'd rather Pitta and/or Quarless.

I've liked Carrington for awhile and I've been getting more comfortable about Hughes. I'd take him as a second choice to the now-out-of-reach Graham.

With WR, it depends on what we're looking for. If it's a Moss-replacement, I'm not convinced that Thomas is that guy (and I'm not even sure that there's a legit Moss-replacement in this draft). If it's to be a guy who can play on the opposite side from Moss as a #3 to legitimately distract some of the coverage - a guy with good hands who is already adept at running routes and consistently getting open at the right time (IOW, a reliable target for Tom) - then we can probably do just as well with a later pick - Blair White, Andre Roberts, Emmanuel Sanders, Seyi Ajirotutu, Jeremy Williams, e.g.

I would prefer to select Thomas in the second round.

Everson Griffen is someone else who could be available as a choice besides Hughes.

Carrington is interesting... Like Austen Lane and Clifton Geathers.

Demaryius Thomas

I understand your opinion and analysis, but alot of people on this forum expressed they want a Shonn Greene type of back.

YouTube - Shonn Greene: College's Best Running Back

YouTube - Toby Gerhart Highlights 2009 the real Heisman

Everything you said I see in Shonn Greene's video, he did well his rookie season. I want people to go to 0.58 on Toby Gerhart's video. Everyone in the box against USC, he finds the hole, cuts, then outruns Taylor Mays for a good 30 yards. If you put a Stanford Jersey on Maroney and sent him to that game, he would've danced behind the line for a loss on 3rd and 1.

WR Thomas
OLB Hughes
RB Gerhart
DE Carrington
TE ****erson

I like the positions you went after and even some of the picks. My preference:

WR Thomas
OLB Hughes
RB Hardesty
TE Tony Moeaki
DE Linval Joseph

I think these five have more long term potential and also will be useful in 2010.

I understand your opinion and analysis, but alot of people on this forum expressed they want a Shonn Greene type of back.

YouTube - Shonn Greene: College's Best Running Back

YouTube - Toby Gerhart Highlights 2009 the real Heisman

Everything you said I see in Shonn Greene's video, he did well his rookie season. I want people to go to 0.58 on Toby Gerhart's video. Everyone in the box against USC, he finds the hole, cuts, then outruns Taylor Mays for a good 30 yards. If you put a Stanford Jersey on Maroney and sent him to that game, he would've danced behind the line for a loss on 3rd and 1.

But Greene wasn't a second round pick. I get the impression that some New England fans have a desire to see Gerhart taken with one of the three second round picks. That could be a reach. It may not be. The Jets traded up to select Greene. If New England owned a third round pick, that would be a better compromise.

With that said, I question whether or not Gerhart could've a similar impact for New England as a rookie and/or second year player as Greene for the Jets. Because New York is a run first offense. Conversely, the Patriots have arguably the league's best quarterback and one of the league's best wide receivers. It's tough to be a run first team if you've a running back by committee, and your strength is passing the ball.

I feel a sense of urgency for the Patriots. It's imperative that they're successful in this year's draft. Therefore, I believe that the picks that they own for rounds one and two must produce potential starters if not first year starters. Yes, it's that important. I've reservations (more to do with whether or not the Patriots will commit to the run) about Gerhart. Can he be anymore than a change of pace running back who'll likely share carries in a tandem? On the other hand, maybe, his opportunity with New England could be better than expected with Maroney as an afterthought and the depth at running back being nothing more than interchangeable parts.

While they look the same, they are not the same. Leonard was a good player at Rutgers and was the heart and soul of that program, but Gerhart is simply better than him. Gerhart is an animal and runs with some serious anger. I compared him to a shorter Eddie George awhile back and evidently he thinks of himself in much the same way.

But I can't believe I didn't make the Corey Dillon comparison. He's right on with that one. In college, they were both big backs who were punishing runners that had plenty of speed and very quick feet for big guys. I can't find any 40 time for Dillon (I'm guessing that he was in the high 4.5s or low 4.6s), or anything else for that matter regarding workouts, but he's right about the same size (6'1 225) as Gerhart and their running styles are pretty much identical. It's possible that Gerhart is faster than Dillon was, but regardless, they are both bad emeffers.

NFL Draft 2010: So Who is Toby Gerhart?

Last edited:

WR Thomas
OLB Hughes
RB Gerhart
DE Carrington
TE ****erson

Excelsior!!! I would be very happy with that. Love this! To be a little greedy I would take the pick on ****erson for a trade with the Bears (they need picks) for 26 year Greg Olsen and his 70 catches from a poor Bears offense Cutler or not. Then we have a blocking TE in Crumpler, now an NFL proven youngster in Olsen.
DW Toys

P.S. Could use another Tech 5 DE and would love to trade for Carriker as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes