PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thomas fined for tackle on Edwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
The penalty on Thomas is going to be called 10 out of 10 times. The NFL is a QB driven league (rightly or wrongly) and the refs are going to protect the leagues primary assets/meal tickets.
Thomas did not hear the whistle but the manner in which he slammed Edwards to the ground, he's going to get a 15 yarder called on him every single time.

I want to see an NFL game where the defender doesn't throw the QB down, the whistle isn't blown, and the QB gets away and makes a game-winning throw.

I badly want to see that happen.

Just not in a Patriots game.

What if it was a Patriots game, but the QB in question was Brady? ;)

Slightly surprised since it was somewhat of a borderline penalty, but not shocked at all. Goodell sends his message to Thomas and the rest of the lague, 'don't slam quarterbacks to the ground' - while also saying it really wasn't all that bad because $5k is nothing as far as fines go.
It happened in the SB when the Patriots had Manning just before the MIRACLE catch by Tyree.

There was nothing malicious about that tackle. Give me a break...what are the defenders supposed to do...stop playing? But, it's okay for the QB to keep fighting to get out of their grasp. This is football..geez:mad:
I agree. That was a textbook tackle. I can see mistakenly throwing the flag. Can't see why they would fine him after reviewing the film.

Edit: I thought you were talking about the Wilfork tackle. My bad.

Last edited:
I believe that already happened a few years ago to Osi Umenyiora against Vince Young. Umenyiora didn't finish his tackle, and Young threw the game-winning touchdown. He was almost run out of town on a rail, but had he finished the tackle, maybe he would have been called for roughing the passer?
Perfect example!

Some of you need to take your pats goggles off.

Its not that Thomas took him to the ground and "tackled" him, its the fact that he literally lifted Edwards a couple of feet off the ground and twisted him in the AIR and then slammed him down to the ground. Whether the whistle was blew or not doesn't even factor in, it'll be flagged every single time.

If someone did this to Brady, guaranteed we'd all be up in arms over it.

the issue wasn't when the whistle blew but the body slam to the ground...you can't slam the QB to the ground even if the ref swallows the whistle and chokes on it....

If you think that was a bodyslam, you've never seen a real one.

what's this about body slam? Just how do you suppose you get a QB down when you have him wrapped up and he's not going down? The only way is to use momentum and throw him down. Some here have never played the game it appears.

\ Some here have never played the game it appears.

Thats completely irrelevant and condescending. I don't remember BB playing football, and he coaches the damn team.

I know we're kinda going around in circles here, but I have to agree with Synovia on this one, and I've felt that way ever since it happened. As long as the quarterback is on his feet with his arms free, he can make a pass. Thomas was trying to get Edwards down and he wasn't going down. I've seen "slams" that were a lot worse than that.

No one wants to see another career ended like Joe Theismann's, but some of this stuff is getting ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back